Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: 2021 Elite Earning Thresholds?

Old Sep 2, 20, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P

Anyone wonder when the qualifying requirements will be 1. Released and 2. What will they be?

Do you think AA will revert back to regular pre-covid requirements? I hope they don't as 2021 will be a slow return to work travel.
Old Sep 2, 20, 11:13 am

Programs: WN A & CP, AA EXP, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Anyone wonder when the qualifying requirements will be 1. Released and 2. What will they be?

Do you think AA will revert back to regular pre-covid requirements? I hope they don't as 2021 will be a slow return to work travel.
I can't imagine that they would roll back to pre-Covid levels. 12,000/80,000/80 would be a good starting place for EXP.

I am one of the lucky few that have already re-qualified for EXP this year (although it's only for the 2 SWUs) . I never really stopped traveling except for Mid March through April. I think I was the last one in the Centurion Club in CLT. They were locking up when I left. B/C AAdminrals Club had already shut down.

They were basically giving away CK for the June qualifications and I will likely double the EQD/EQM requirement for EXP by the end of the year. I am hoping they still feel that generous when December rolls around. That's the only way in hell I'll ever qualify for CK.

YMMV
ajf87 likes this.

Last edited by jhalapin; Sep 2, 20 at 11:16 am Reason: I can't spell or grammar
Old Sep 2, 20, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jhalapin View Post
although it's only for the 2 SWUs
you mean 4?

I'm going to re-qual too but this year not to OPM by my own personal travel. I too want those SWU's for next year!
Old Sep 2, 20, 11:18 am

Programs: WN A & CP, AA EXP, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
you mean 4?

I'm going to re-qual too but this year not to OPM by my own personal travel. I too want those SWU's for next year!
Nope, "Re-qualification" only gave me 2 more SWU (EP reward at 90K). Folks that re-qualify for 2021 (in 2020) will also get their 4 SWU in 2021.

From the website:

Lowering EQM thresholds for Executive Platinum rewards

Previously, members who qualified for Executive Platinum status received a choice of 1 reward upon reaching 150,000, 200,000 and 250,000 EQMs, respectively. For 2020, we lowered the levels required to earn these rewards:

Reach 90,000 EQMs and choose from:

• 2 systemwide upgrades
  • 40,000 bonus miles
  • Gift of AAdvantage® Gold status

Reach 120,000 EQMs and choose from:

• 2 systemwide upgrades
  • 40,000 bonus miles
  • Gift of AAdvantage® Platinum status

Reach 150,000 EQMs and choose from:

• 2 systemwide upgrades
  • 40,000 bonus miles
  • Gift of AAdvantage® Platinum status

Extending expiration of systemwide upgrades

Any unused systemwide upgrades with an expiration date of January 31, 2021, have been extended through July 31, 2021.

While we’re not awarding new systemwide upgrades with the extension of Executive Platinum status, members who qualify or re-qualify for Executive Platinum status in 2020 will receive 4 systemwide upgrades valid through January 31, 2022.

Last edited by jhalapin; Sep 2, 20 at 11:25 am Reason: Edited for clarification..
Old Sep 2, 20, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Nope, "Re-qualification" only gave me 2 more SWU. If you got 4 Imma gonna raise some hell
From AA.com:

"Executive Platinum members get 4 systemwide upgrades when qualifying or re-qualifying"
Old Sep 2, 20, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Folks that re-qualify for 2021 (in 2020) will also get their 4 SWU in 2021.

Sorry I just assumed you re-qualified this way.
Old Sep 2, 20, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
With AA in such a giving mood these days, I"m absolutely certain they will lower EXP qualifications to $10K/75K/75 segments, Happy early holidays.
jhalapin likes this.
Old Sep 2, 20, 5:18 pm

Programs: Aadvantage Platinum, Hawaiian Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I'm not optimistic about them keeping the current reduced elite requirements but I would be shocked if they went back to pre-COVID requirements come January, especially with the prospect of these big corporate accounts and all of their road warriors booking in B fare codes now that standby is free. I'd like to see either the earning thresholds stay as they are or at least provide a leg-up to new 2021 requirements based off of 2020 EQM/EQD - similar to what Marriott did with Bonvoy (can't believe I'm pointing to Bonvoy as a good example). Right now they have the most generous ticketing policy of all of the legacy carriers (refunding the fare difference in a voucher is a good move and drives repeat business) and the youngest fleet (nicest planes) of the legacy carriers by far. Jumping out front with more attainable elite requirements would be a good PR follow-up, especially coupled with the new customers they'll have access to from Alaska joining oneworld and establishing more of a presence in Seattle and the codeshare with Jetblue. I'm already looking ahead at travel in 2021, I'm actually surprised that none of the airlines have announced anything regarding 2021 status requirements.

I'd like to see some more creative ways of earning EQD/EQM beyond huge Aadvantage card spend. With American moving to consolidate their in-flight wifi under one banner and login they should start counting in-flight and lounge purchases, as well as upgrades, seat selection, and bag fees towards EQD. If it's supposed to be revenue-based, tie it to revenue (not just fares) and encourage more of it.
Old Sep 2, 20, 6:29 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 1MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Unless AA does something really radical, like eliminating EQD altogether, there's going to be a serious thinning of the herd. Buying standard economy fares, I typically achieved the EQD and EQM thresholds within 2-3 trips of each other. With prices so depressed right now, EQDs are going to be hard to come by. On the routes I fly, FC is selling for what coach used to cost. Of course, I'm not allowed to buy F. I think many domestic EXPs are going to be in the same boat.
Old Sep 2, 20, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Catbert10 View Post
Unless AA does something really radical, like eliminating EQD altogether, there's going to be a serious thinning of the herd. Buying standard economy fares, I typically achieved the EQD and EQM thresholds within 2-3 trips of each other. With prices so depressed right now, EQDs are going to be hard to come by. On the routes I fly, FC is selling for what coach used to cost. Of course, I'm not allowed to buy F. I think many domestic EXPs are going to be in the same boat.
My company doesn't allow us to book F on flights under 4 hours but we are permitted to pay the difference out of our pockets.
Old Sep 4, 20, 7:02 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
I wouldn't be so quick to think AA is going to be too generous here. After all they did just eliminated EQM/EQD for Basic Economy.
Old Sep 4, 20, 7:31 am

Programs: AA: Plat; HH: Diamond; Bonvoy: Gold;
Will any airline feel the need to offer reduced targets from 1/1/21 without knowing if/when travel volume will return? Rather than reducing the full year targets, might they offer EQD/EQM multipliers for the first or second quarter? 1.5 for economy/2.5 domestic F? Or are they more concerned about putting butts in seats and will continue to offer attractive econ and basic econ and add leisure destinations. Are the infrequent fliers or the frequent fliers their quickest path to revenue right now? I know my company has stopped business travel through June 2021.
apeortdz and hhdl like this.
Old Sep 4, 20, 9:27 am

Programs: Aadvantage Platinum, Hawaiian Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by neo_781 View Post
I wouldn't be so quick to think AA is going to be too generous here. After all they did just eliminated EQM/EQD for Basic Economy.
How many people actually used Basic Economy to attain status though, outside of maybe a mileage run? The whole point of basic economy is to compete with ULCCs, and those travelers are not concerned with status or miles.
Old Sep 4, 20, 1:53 pm

Programs: Quintessentially Elite, Amex Cent, UA* Lifetime Plat (2mm+), AA CK (6mm+)
I'm more curious about how CK requirements will change, if they change.
Old Sep 4, 20, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA - Platinum; 1W Sapphire; HHonors - Silver; UA dirt
Originally Posted by ajf87 View Post
How many people actually used Basic Economy to attain status though, outside of maybe a mileage run? The whole point of basic economy is to compete with ULCCs, and those travelers are not concerned with status or miles.
Well, I flew on a couple BE fares a couple years back - not for qualification status but because the fare was too hard to pass up. MIA-TPA-MIA same day in BE was about $89. Regular coach was about $400. For that type of delta on a 40 minute flight, I'll make do.

Going forward, I would expect to see maybe a 10% reduction in elite requirements.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: