Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Drops Many Change Fees, Enhances Basic Economy, Other Benefits,

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2020, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chrisny2
Effective immediately, AA has implemented a number of changes mostly beneficial to flyers. — link

* No more change fees. Change fees for all domestic and short-haul international flying on Premium Cabin fares and most Main Cabin fares will be eliminated.

* Fly standby for free. All customers will have the ability to fly standby on earlier flights for the same destination on the same day at no charge starting Oct. 1, 2020.

* More to Basic Economy. Basic Economy fares now come with the ability to tailor your travel experience including upgrades, Preferred and Main Cabin Extra seats, priority boarding and same-day flight changes.

* Same AAdvantage® benefits during your journey, no matter the fare. AAdvantage® elite members will be able to apply their current travel benefits on all tickets, including when purchasing a Basic Economy fare.

NB: Basic economy fares will no longer earn elite qualifying miles, dollars, or segments effective Jan 1, 2021. This is no longer applicable with the introduction of Loyalty Points.

See post # 1 for screen shots of the AA release and features.

See post # 99 for change fee waiver for ALL flights purchased by 31 Dec 2020

Print Wikipost

AA Drops Many Change Fees, Enhances Basic Economy, Other Benefits,

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2020, 10:39 am

I don't see the option to use my 500 mile upgrades for my basic economy reservation I just got (Platinum here), so not sure what's going on there. Going to call after the 24 hour cancellation period passes (been rebooking every day since prices keep going down!)
Old Oct 29, 2020, 10:52 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by mcs26891
I don't see the option to use my 500 mile upgrades for my basic economy reservation I just got (Platinum here), so not sure what's going on there. Going to call after the 24 hour cancellation period passes (been rebooking every day since prices keep going down!)
I believe that if the reservation was created before 10/1 that flight won't be eligible. But I could be wrong.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
I believe that if the reservation was created before 10/1 that flight won't be eligible. But I could be wrong.
You are right, but I just booked this today so it should show up for me. That's why I am confused.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by mcs26891
You are right, but I just booked this today so it should show up for me. That's why I am confused.
Call the elite desk and have them force the request. If you get a bad agent, ask for a supervisor since you booked your ticket well after 10/1.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
I got on the upgrade list for a trip booked in B before 10/1.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 11:23 am

Not sure if this has been posted in another thread, but as of November 19, AA has eliminated change fees indefinitely on all international tickets, "when travel originates in North or South America."
Newsroom - Flexibility Without the Fee: American Airlines Eliminates Change Fees on International Tickets - American Airlines Group, Inc.
Not much help for those of us who may need to book flights originating in Europe! (Unless we book prior to Dec 31 using the Covid waiver.)
Old Nov 22, 2020, 12:03 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by NDFan
Not sure if this has been posted in another thread, but as of November 19, AA has eliminated change fees indefinitely on all international tickets, "when travel originates in North or South America."
Newsroom - Flexibility Without the Fee: American Airlines Eliminates Change Fees on International Tickets - American Airlines Group, Inc.
Not much help for those of us who may need to book flights originating in Europe! (Unless we book prior to Dec 31 using the Covid waiver.)
It may change Area 2 and Area 3 origins at some point, but it takes a bit of work to get BA/IB/AY onboard for Europe, JL onboard for Asia, and QF onboard for Australia and sort out any relevant regulatory hurdles. The industry standard is for change fees to be paid to the plating carrier (though the JVs may involve splitting that revenue), and other airlines are probably reluctant to give up a potential revenue stream right now.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 3:29 pm

Under the new no change fee rules, can a customer make multiple fee free changes to a ticket and retain the full value of the ticket? For example. Assume a customer cancels ticket #1 and receives a flight credit for the value of ticket #1 and then uses that flight credit plus fare difference to purchase ticket #2. Customer then cancels ticket #2. Does the customer get a new flight credit for the value of ticket #2, which he/she can then apply to a future ticket #3? I assume so and that the value of the ticket just retains as a flight credit with no limitation/restriction except that it be used by a specified date.

Thanks.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Is the no change fee policy still in effect? The press release didn’t give an end date as in the case of UA requiring booking by March 31 2021. Planning an April trip. There is possibility that I might have to cancel depending on the effects of Spring Break on COVID cases.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by Ross0
Under the new no change fee rules, can a customer make multiple fee free changes to a ticket and retain the full value of the ticket? For example. Assume a customer cancels ticket #1 and receives a flight credit for the value of ticket #1 and then uses that flight credit plus fare difference to purchase ticket #2. Customer then cancels ticket #2. Does the customer get a new flight credit for the value of ticket #2, which he/she can then apply to a future ticket #3? I assume so and that the value of the ticket just retains as a flight credit with no limitation/restriction except that it be used by a specified date.

Thanks.
Did you ever get an answer to this one? I would love to know myself. Could come in handy for price drops, in theory you could bank some flight credit every time the cost of your flight drops. I do this with Southwest flights and it's very easy.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
Is the no change fee policy still in effect? The press release didn’t give an end date as in the case of UA requiring booking by March 31 2021. Planning an April trip. There is possibility that I might have to cancel depending on the effects of Spring Break on COVID cases.
When I try to change an existing booking I made a month ago, it definitely still lets me change it for free (it says "Change Fee Waived"). However, I have a question here as well. The page says:

"You're allowed to make a change to your trip once, and the change fee will be waived. You can cancel your trip online and rebook later when you’re ready, including Basic Economy fares bought between March 1, 2020 and March 31, 2021."

key word here is "once"... so if I make one change, that's it? Can I still cancel for free even after I make one change?
Old Jul 16, 2021, 7:10 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Originally Posted by Smiley90
key word here is "once"... so if I make one change, that's it? Can I still cancel for free even after I make one change?
Good question. Like to know, too. I made one change to my flights. Wished I had cancelled and rebook instead.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 7:04 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Not sure if this is the right old thread to bump, but it seems like the recent Loyalty Point announcements change the math on buying BE. Prior to the change, the inability to earn EQM/EQD was a big disincentive, but I believe it was confirmed that all BE fares will earn loyalty points. And the prior announcement grants elite benefits on BE fares (seat selection, checked bags, boarding group, etc). So is the only downside of a BE fare now the inability to make changes? Anything I am missing?
Old Mar 18, 2022, 5:51 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
With Loyalty Points now in play, is there any real downside to booking a BE fare as a Plat Pro? I still get my baggage allowance, tickets are still refundable (I believe under COVID protocols), I still seem to be able to pick my seat in advance, and my LP earn rate is the same regardless of what coach fare bucket I buy into.

What's the negative here?
Old Mar 18, 2022, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
With Loyalty Points now in play, is there any real downside to booking a BE fare as a Plat Pro? I still get my baggage allowance, tickets are still refundable (I believe under COVID protocols), I still seem to be able to pick my seat in advance, and my LP earn rate is the same regardless of what coach fare bucket I buy into.

What's the negative here?
They were never refundable -- I assume you mean that they could be canceled for travel credit. But not anymore:
Basic Economy fares bought on or after April 1, 2021 are non-refundable and non-changeable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.