Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Drops Many Change Fees, Enhances Basic Economy, Other Benefits,

Old Aug 31, 2020, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chrisny2
Effective immediately, AA has implemented a number of changes mostly beneficial to flyers. — link

* No more change fees. Change fees for all domestic and short-haul international flying on Premium Cabin fares and most Main Cabin fares will be eliminated.

* Fly standby for free. All customers will have the ability to fly standby on earlier flights for the same destination on the same day at no charge starting Oct. 1, 2020.

* More to Basic Economy. Basic Economy fares now come with the ability to tailor your travel experience including upgrades, Preferred and Main Cabin Extra seats, priority boarding and same-day flight changes.

* Same AAdvantage® benefits during your journey, no matter the fare. AAdvantage® elite members will be able to apply their current travel benefits on all tickets, including when purchasing a Basic Economy fare.

NB: Basic economy fares will no longer earn elite qualifying miles, dollars, or segments effective Jan 1, 2021. This is no longer applicable with the introduction of Loyalty Points.

See post # 1 for screen shots of the AA release and features.

See post # 99 for change fee waiver for ALL flights purchased by 31 Dec 2020

Print Wikipost

AA Drops Many Change Fees, Enhances Basic Economy, Other Benefits,

Old Aug 31, 2020, 6:45 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by railmatt
So if you buy Basic Economy you will be allowed to buy confirmed MCE at time of purchase, or not until check-in?
No specifics yet...possibly both (at different prices)?
Old Aug 31, 2020, 6:46 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Depending on how they do this, there might be an opportunity in transatlantic basic economy -- you can buy an AY flight number on AA metal and still earn something while getting to pick your (preferred or MCE) seat.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 7:02 pm

Will the flight credit if the fare drops expire in a year from purchase like with SWA?
Old Aug 31, 2020, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by lazygrad
Will the flight credit if the fare drops expire in a year from purchase like with SWA?
No.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 7:54 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by lazygrad
Originally Posted by N830MH
No.
Outside of existing COVID waivers, I'd venture that unused value from any ticket will indeed expire one year from the date of original purchase/ticket issuance.

Last edited by NYC Flyer; Aug 31, 2020 at 7:54 pm Reason: clarification
Old Aug 31, 2020, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
The AA material specifically says if the new ticket is cheaper, the customer is given a voucher for the difference. Does this suggest the residual might be transferable?
Old Aug 31, 2020, 9:13 pm

Under the new “no change fee policy” can a customer change the origin and destination of a domestic ticket and retain the full value of the original ticket?
Old Aug 31, 2020, 9:59 pm

One thing that will have to happen is the improvement of their systems to handle the cancellations and credits. Southwest's is fast and easy now that they track the credits for you.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 1:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Can we use SWU on basic econ fares?
Old Sep 1, 2020, 2:55 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by Ross0
Under the new “no change fee policy” can a customer change the origin and destination of a domestic ticket and retain the full value of the original ticket?
Yes, just like previously you could change the origin or destination for a $200 fee, you will now be able to change the ticket origin or destination with no fee (subject to the exceptions for int'l, BE, etc.)
Old Sep 1, 2020, 5:57 am

Programs: DL-MM/FC/FO AA-EXP/MM Starwood-Platinum Marriott-Platinum Hilton-Gold Hyatt-Diamond
In the old, old days, at least as an elite, when you stood by for a same day flight you could stand by for any flight, regardless of connecting city, etc. Currently, if you are on a connecting itinerary you cannot stand by for a non stop. No mention if this will change.
Spanish likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 6:50 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Its nice to see AA stepping up so soon after the United announcement...good for them, and good for us
Old Sep 1, 2020, 8:46 am

Programs: UA 1K
Anyone found information about whether Elite seat assignment for BE fare will also apply for foreign status holders? (e.g. BA Gold)
Old Sep 1, 2020, 9:09 am

Interesting proposition about the BE changes for elites, AA completely flipped the value proposition there from "few elite benefits when flying BE, but you'll get some elite earnings" to "we treat you like an elite on every flight, but no elite earnings". I wonder what people's thoughts are on that?

I'm torn here, as upgrades in my lowly status are rare, and while MCE is nice, I was using my Amex credit to buy those seats when flying BE so it didn't matter that much to me. I can see future trips with 4-5 others on my reservation where being able to assign MCE/Preferred for everyone (at way more than the $200 annual Amex benefit) would be worth way more than the elite credit.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 9:13 am

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by lowfareair
Interesting proposition about the BE changes for elites, AA completely flipped the value proposition there from "few elite benefits when flying BE, but you'll get some elite earnings" to "we treat you like an elite on every flight, but no elite earnings". I wonder what people's thoughts are on that?

I'm torn here, as upgrades in my lowly status are rare, and while MCE is nice, I was using my Amex credit to buy those seats when flying BE so it didn't matter that much to me. I can see future trips with 4-5 others on my reservation where being able to assign MCE/Preferred for everyone (at way more than the $200 annual Amex benefit) would be worth way more than the elite credit.
To me at least, it is the same value proposition as using miles for a ticket. I can get all of the benefits that come with status, but I wouldn't earn anything towards future status.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.