Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

65 Years and Still Going (Flying AA for 65 years)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

65 Years and Still Going (Flying AA for 65 years)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2020, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA - EXP 1MM, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, BA, DL, TWA Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by JDiver
I suspect you’ve flown on many aircraft as well. I know I’ve got the DC family from -3 through -10 but no -8 on AA and the only -5 was exported, Convair 240 and 990; BAC 111, a ton of Boeing metal, Airbii... MD also. Think of the changes, the huge steps, the drop in prices that opened air travel to so many.
In the beginning the majority of our flying was between MDW and either LGA or IDL. We flew DC-4 & 6 as well as the L-188. Jet wise I have flown on just about everything from the BAC-111 to just about every type of jet (not necessarily each model variation) AA operates or operated. A number of those include a significant amount of metal flown as TW, US and PDT. Flew the Constellation a number of times on TW. Also flew on a non-AA DC-3. Walking up the aisle while it was on the ground was like walking up a steep ramp! I also remember my first flight into ORD. The "jetway" was made of bare plywood. Lots and Lots of memories
Old Sep 2, 2020, 12:29 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
My congratulations! How wonderful is that certificate - I have never seen anything like that in all my flying career. I know also of some Flight Attendants who have flown for AA, or companies that have merged into AA for more years than I have been on this earth. May you and your Other Half have the health and strength to fly for many more!
MarJon likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Think about all the miles earning you missed while flying before the mid-1980s when the FF program began. Maybe you would be a 2MMer.

I think airlines should give people over a certain age, a handicap for the MMer levels. When I first flew in the 60s the only jets were 707s and DC8s. Thinking of all theTranscons I flew on 747s and DC10s in the 70s and wish I had those miles.in my MM balance.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA - EXP 1MM, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, BA, DL, TWA Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by cova
Think about all the miles earning you missed while flying before the mid-1980s when the FF program began. Maybe you would be a 2MMer.
I think airlines should give people over a certain age, a handicap for the MMer levels. When I first flew in the 60s the only jets were 707s and DC8s. Thinking of all theTranscons I flew on 747s and DC10s in the 70s and wish I had those miles.in my MM balance.
Thank You! I probably had a couple of Hundred Thousand miles on AA prior to their program. In addition to my my AA flying, I flew over 750K on TW and 500K on US that did not make it over to my AA account.... Due to my ignorance! So, I am probably closing in on 3MM total... Oh well. Still have fond memories of TW's Cart service in F as well as their Hors D'Oeuvres in Business upstairs on the 747-100.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HA PL, Hilton 💎, Marriott Ti, Wyndham/Caesars 💎, Hertz PC
This is wholesome....

How drunk and debauched was the flying experience actually back in the golden age? Did people behave or was it like a Spirit flight between FLL and LAS meets 'Mad Men'?

Also what's your best award redemption - either on AA metal or a partner?
Old Sep 2, 2020, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
Great post! My first flight was 9 months before I was born ... conceived at the Hilton Hawaiian Village on the honeymoon, and then my parents flew back to the mainland. Does "in utero" count?!

But, no, I didn't become a MP member until my 20s...
Is it just me or is it a bit awkward to know exactly when you were conceived?
Old Sep 2, 2020, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, 1MM, Bonsai Plat-Pro, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by theshaun
Is it just me or is it a bit awkward to know exactly when you were conceived?
It's Just You! :-) Hell, I can tell ya the Year, Make, and Model of the Station Wagon! RT

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.