Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVED: SWU / VIP Expiring by 31 Jan 2020 giveaway (NO ASK; terms & conditions)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 28, 2020, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING!

As we approach the end of the status year (31 Jan 2021, but now including interim extended use dates after 31 Jan 2020), AAdvantage members on FT with no opportunity or plans to use expiring SWU (31 Jan 2021) often gift them to other FlyerTalk members. This traditionally has begun in September, but with new interim expiry dates the thread is current now.

Please familiarize yourself with these ground rules. Posts that do not conform to these rules will be summarily deleted (without notice to the poster).

AA: "Upgrades are void if sold or advertised for sale for cash or other considerations. Members may designate another passenger to use their upgrades."
  • Asking for SWU here is not permitted! Donors will post here, and members are welcome to communicate via PM from there. If you don't see an open request, don't ask for one.

• To comply with AAdvantage T&C, SWU must given freely, with no strings attached. Requests for money, trading for SWU with different expiry or another airline’s instruments, or any other consideration, whether in the clear or via PM, are not allowed.

• Out of respect of our generous donors, please follow their instructions and contact them with the information they request.

• Donors can ultimately make the choice of recipient (tenured/contributive member, longer flight itineraries, international vs. domestic, etc.).

• Recipients are solely and entirely responsible for the payment of any fees or taxes associated with the use of a gifted SWU (e.g. United Kingdom Air Passenger Duty or French taxe de solidarité sur les billets d'avion).

• This thread is NOT for the discussion of ethics, entitlement, or nomination of charities/groups as recipients. (Donating instruments for use in charity auctions or as prizes is prohibited by AAdvantage terms and conditions.)

• If anybody offers to sell, buy, barter or trade SWU by PM, please contact the moderators immediately, as this is a violation of AAdvantage and FlyerTalk rules. FT members have been sanctioned by AA in the past for these kinds of actions. Appropriate disciplinary action will be taken.

For recent obsolete posts, please see ARCHIVE: Expiring SWU / VIP giveaway (strictly freely given): 2018 Edition (link).

Thanks everyone!

~AAdvantage forum Moderator team

Using expiring SWU beyond their expiration date.

It has been reported as possible here that some may be able to use an SWU beyond it’s programmed expiration date:

Those few very high value flyers with high “Eagle” (Helix score) ratings may receive extensions for unused SWU, but that is not an option for most AAdvantage members. Requests to do so will be met with a firm “no” from AA.

The system will, however, pull the SWU with the earliest expiration date. At least it has recently, and no reports on this being “fixed” have been reported. There are certain conditions that must be met for this to occur:

The AAdvantage member must have requalified as Concierge Key or Executive Platinum for the 2020 status year, and have SWU expiring 31 Jan 2021 in their account.

The SWU “pull” by the system must be prior to the SWU expiration date, even if the flight is past it - e.g. sometimes a SWU will “pull” long before the formal upgrade window, or if you can confirm a flight occurring 1 Feb or later with an SWU upgrade prior to 31 January — the system is programmed to pull your SWU with the earliest expiration date.

You can’t call and request this, it occurs naturally because (at least recently) the system is programmed that way. An agent will merely tell you this can’t be done (potentially, unless you’ve got Eagles galore.

You can’t upgrade using miles and copay, then switch to a SWU.

CAVEAT: It’s always possible the system has been altered to end this possibility, but it was extant early 2020.

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVED: SWU / VIP Expiring by 31 Jan 2020 giveaway (NO ASK; terms & conditions)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2020, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by laurinky
​​​​​​This theoretical flight could be after today, but the upgrade space would need to clear in the next hour or so, by the end of today (which brings up the question of what time zone sets the SWU expiration. Is it departure city?).
Of course time is running out now for 2020, but I had raised it as an idea that people could consider at an appropriate time.
anyways, I ​​​would think if you put the SWU on someone's ticket and took away the miles + copay, and the SWU didn't go through, then they'd have to deal with reapplying the miles + copay if they wanted to still try for a upgrade.
Hence why I said a flight departing no later than today. That way it is guaranteed to resolve one way or the other. If the SWU clears by departure, great for the pax, and if it doesn't, the miles+copay wouldn't have either.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 9:02 pm

Programs: Aadvantage, MileagePlus, Hawaiian Miles, Skymiles
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
Of course time is running out now for 2020, but I had raised it as an idea that people could consider at an appropriate time.

Hence why I said a flight departing no later than today. That way it is guaranteed to resolve one way or the other. If the SWU clears by departure, great for the pax, and if it doesn't, the miles+copay wouldn't have either.
Ah gotcha. An interesting idea if AA could come up with a mechanism to distribute them.

Wondering about the time of expiration for the SWU's; is one specific time for everyone, based on the ticket holder's location, or based on origin or destination of flight?
Wondering this personally as I don't know if it makes sense to stay up a bit later than usual in case someone posts an 11th hour expiring SWU. It's 11p.m. my home time, 6p.m. local time at my upcoming trip's departure city.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 5:25 am

Programs: American Airlines
Many many thanks to flatlander for clearing two SWU's on my flight to Hong Kong last week (and the return)! I promise not to contract and bring back coronavirus unless it becomes just so fashionable that everyone is doing it. The feeling of sheer relief of being pardoned from spending 14 hours folded up is palpable. There are so many corners of the internet that I actively avoid, but to me Flyertalk is still a place where people mostly treat each other kindly and freely share knowledge to help strangers. Thanks to all of you for being a part of that!
Old Feb 4, 2020, 2:27 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I'm glad you're going to enjoy the flight.

Regarding cancellation due to Wuhan novel coronavirus: Another FT member contacted me saying that after I upgraded their flight, the flight was cancelled due to coronavirus. AA let them apply the upgrade to a future flight. So if your SWU-upgraded flight is cancelled or recheduled due to coronavirus, you have some hope that the upgrade will stick. I know AA will rebook you in the upgraded class in case of IRROPS "on the day", but this is the first time I have heard of an upgrade being preserved for a future rebooking with a ticket "voucher".
Old Feb 13, 2020, 6:04 pm

Programs: Aadvantage, MileagePlus, Hawaiian Miles, Skymiles
Originally Posted by Ivan Denisovich
Many many thanks to flatlander for clearing two SWU's on my flight to Hong Kong last week (and the return)! I promise not to contract and bring back coronavirus unless it becomes just so fashionable that everyone is doing it. The feeling of sheer relief of being pardoned from spending 14 hours folded up is palpable. There are so many corners of the internet that I actively avoid, but to me Flyertalk is still a place where people mostly treat each other kindly and freely share knowledge to help strangers. Thanks to all of you for being a part of that!
That's so incredible and generous! I used to teach in China so I'm very familiar with being cramped in economy for 16+ hours (I'm on the East Coast). That must have felt wonderful to stretch and sleep!

Glad they went to good use!! Flatlander had been very generous and tried to apply the SWUs to my mom and my travel to Greece. Alas, my mom cancelled our tickets due to not feeling well and a concerning CT scan. Flatlander had actually tried to upgrade us but it was just after tix had been cancelled and I hadn't rebooked. Fail on my part. Typical mom - she's feeling better and now we're back on for travel and her sister is coming too! Maybe we'll luck out next round of expirations.

Ditto on Flyertalk! People on the forum are not only generous but helpful and take time to share their knowledge. Even if a question might be silly to them, they always respond in the most kind way. I love it!! It's so unlike other corners of the interwebs.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 8:09 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
T
Ditto on Flyertalk! People on the forum are not only generous but helpful and take time to share their knowledge. Even if a question might be silly to them, they always respond in the most kind way. I love it!! It's so unlike other corners of the interwebs.
I second and third your statement.. I was a lurker for a short time before becoming a member.. I have to thank my wife for letting me know about FT...
It has and continues to be a pleasure to learn and sometimes offer advice to this forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.