Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVED: SWU / VIP Expiring by 31 Jan 2020 giveaway (NO ASK; terms & conditions)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 28, 2020, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING!

As we approach the end of the status year (31 Jan 2021, but now including interim extended use dates after 31 Jan 2020), AAdvantage members on FT with no opportunity or plans to use expiring SWU (31 Jan 2021) often gift them to other FlyerTalk members. This traditionally has begun in September, but with new interim expiry dates the thread is current now.

Please familiarize yourself with these ground rules. Posts that do not conform to these rules will be summarily deleted (without notice to the poster).

AA: "Upgrades are void if sold or advertised for sale for cash or other considerations. Members may designate another passenger to use their upgrades."
  • Asking for SWU here is not permitted! Donors will post here, and members are welcome to communicate via PM from there. If you don't see an open request, don't ask for one.

• To comply with AAdvantage T&C, SWU must given freely, with no strings attached. Requests for money, trading for SWU with different expiry or another airline’s instruments, or any other consideration, whether in the clear or via PM, are not allowed.

• Out of respect of our generous donors, please follow their instructions and contact them with the information they request.

• Donors can ultimately make the choice of recipient (tenured/contributive member, longer flight itineraries, international vs. domestic, etc.).

• Recipients are solely and entirely responsible for the payment of any fees or taxes associated with the use of a gifted SWU (e.g. United Kingdom Air Passenger Duty or French taxe de solidarité sur les billets d'avion).

• This thread is NOT for the discussion of ethics, entitlement, or nomination of charities/groups as recipients. (Donating instruments for use in charity auctions or as prizes is prohibited by AAdvantage terms and conditions.)

• If anybody offers to sell, buy, barter or trade SWU by PM, please contact the moderators immediately, as this is a violation of AAdvantage and FlyerTalk rules. FT members have been sanctioned by AA in the past for these kinds of actions. Appropriate disciplinary action will be taken.

For recent obsolete posts, please see ARCHIVE: Expiring SWU / VIP giveaway (strictly freely given): 2018 Edition (link).

Thanks everyone!

~AAdvantage forum Moderator team

Using expiring SWU beyond their expiration date.

It has been reported as possible here that some may be able to use an SWU beyond it’s programmed expiration date:

Those few very high value flyers with high “Eagle” (Helix score) ratings may receive extensions for unused SWU, but that is not an option for most AAdvantage members. Requests to do so will be met with a firm “no” from AA.

The system will, however, pull the SWU with the earliest expiration date. At least it has recently, and no reports on this being “fixed” have been reported. There are certain conditions that must be met for this to occur:

The AAdvantage member must have requalified as Concierge Key or Executive Platinum for the 2020 status year, and have SWU expiring 31 Jan 2021 in their account.

The SWU “pull” by the system must be prior to the SWU expiration date, even if the flight is past it - e.g. sometimes a SWU will “pull” long before the formal upgrade window, or if you can confirm a flight occurring 1 Feb or later with an SWU upgrade prior to 31 January — the system is programmed to pull your SWU with the earliest expiration date.

You can’t call and request this, it occurs naturally because (at least recently) the system is programmed that way. An agent will merely tell you this can’t be done (potentially, unless you’ve got Eagles galore.

You can’t upgrade using miles and copay, then switch to a SWU.

CAVEAT: It’s always possible the system has been altered to end this possibility, but it was extant early 2020.

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVED: SWU / VIP Expiring by 31 Jan 2020 giveaway (NO ASK; terms & conditions)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2019, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Apologies to those who have sent me a dm. Dealing with some family stuff and crazy deadlines at work. I will be unable to deal with the swu giveaway until next Thursday at best. Those who have sent me a dm please resend status and availability wed or thur next week

sorry
Old Dec 15, 2019, 1:03 am

I have a international trip for January and confirmed availability is available right now =] dm sent .
Old Dec 16, 2019, 9:09 am

Sent a DM for #3 with C space available. Thank you!
Old Dec 16, 2019, 8:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Hello I am new here so sorry if I'm not getting the protocol right-- I'm a bit confused! I am flying with my son from MIA-BSB on American in economy on Dec 21 and currently there is C7 (7 confirmable upgrade seats) -- was wondering if anyone has any expiring and would be kind enough to lend them to me?!

Thank you so much in advance,
Old Dec 16, 2019, 9:40 pm

Sorry about the above post -- pls ignore it.

My mistake.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 10:50 am

Ok all. I’m back. I am planning to try and help out thur am.

I am however resetting the clock on anyone who has sent me a dm thus far I am going to delete those messages as I’m unsure of which will work or not

reminder, you must be an active poster. I’m sorry posters with 1 post or 20 posts, please become active members but I won’t be selecting you for the swu

starting now I am monitoring my in box and will begin working on upgrades
Old Dec 19, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Not quite an SWU, but I do have a BXP1 that expires December 31st and that I won't be able to use. If anyone has a flight that meets the fare class requirements and has upgrade space, please let me know and you are welcome to the certificate.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by River in Sight
Not quite an SWU, but I do have a BXP1 that expires December 31st and that I won't be able to use. If anyone has a flight that meets the fare class requirements and has upgrade space, please let me know and you are welcome to the certificate.
Just wondering.. wont AA business let you extend the date? I have always used my business points for AA club day passes... mostly because the tickets I buy are not in the fare code for these
Old Dec 19, 2019, 9:41 am

Same page for United

Sorry to bother... I'm sitting on 220 UA pluspoints and wondering whether there is a similar page for United upgrade? Thx
Old Dec 19, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Nuhusky

I am however resetting the clock on anyone who has sent me a dm thus far I am going to delete those messages as I’m unsure of which will work or not

reminder, you must be an active poster. I’m sorry posters with 1 post or 20 posts, please become active members but I won’t be selecting you for the swu

Thank you for offering the SWUs. DM sent. Irrespective of if I qualify, I appreciate you offering to the community.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Nuhusky

Very respectful. I look forward to growing with this community.

-Much love
Old Dec 19, 2019, 12:50 pm

Hi all. I’ve gifted off two of the three swu to last min family members and a co worker. Apologies to anyone I was unable to help

ill hang onto the third for a bit later in the year in case a co worker can benefit. If they can’t I’ll be back to the community

sorry all wish I had more to give away
Old Dec 30, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA
Thank you Nuhusky!
Old Dec 31, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: AA ExePlat
I have several SWU available for free. PM me with a request including flight details, reason for trip, and any other information you think might be useful. If I don;t respond to your PM request, it means I am not giving one to you. Any PM requests which include offers for trade will be reported.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 7:22 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Thought this give-away had not "Ask/Condition: stipulations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.