Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Government contractor rate, basic economy required?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Government contractor rate, basic economy required?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2020, 7:45 pm
CG

Originally Posted by skunker
They might be a "federal contractor", but they do not have a contract with the US government. The contracting officer cannot direct a sub to do anything. They can direct the prime contractor only. It's doubtful the sub will ever have their name listed on a contract signed up the US Government. They may be included in proposals, but subs can and do change all the time as primes rate shop at the time of doing the work.
Every contract I ever wrote while in the government required our approval to change subs and they were most definitely named in the prime's contract with flowdown clauses to all their subs. It's inconceivable to me that the government would let a contractor pick any random sub they wanted whenever they wanted without approval let alone without even informing the contracting officer, or have no control over the work a sub performed. When we've got a jet engine repair shop contracted to overhaul engines they don't get to just randomly choose whichever sub they want to do the non destructive testing of the components that's part of the contract with no control from the government on how they do it, for example. We'd want to have done due diligence on their qualifications, capabilities, and history because their performance or lack thereof can kill an aircrew just as fast as the prime's! What agency were you working with or in that allowed this and what kind of contract, just out of curiosity?

Last edited by CG; Aug 31, 2020 at 7:54 pm
Old Sep 1, 2020, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by CG
It's inconceivable to me that the government would let a contractor pick any random sub they wanted whenever they wanted without approval let alone without even informing the contracting officer, or have no control over the work a sub performed.
The contracting agency is not the only one needs to sign off. Some other agencies will have to do so as well.

Originally Posted by CG
What agency were you working with or in that allowed this and what kind of contract, just out of curiosity?
As soon as the agency needs to follow the standard contracting procedures, there is none (i.e. sensitive agencies, like CIA, are excluded). I can guarantee that.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 9:06 am

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by garykung
The contracting agency is not the only one needs to sign off. Some other agencies will have to do so as well.

As soon as the agency needs to follow the standard contracting procedures, there is none (i.e. sensitive agencies, like CIA, are excluded). I can guarantee that.
Depending on the DoD project, things can go non-standard, very quickly.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 5:32 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by CG
Every contract I ever wrote while in the government required our approval to change subs and they were most definitely named in the prime's contract with flowdown clauses to all their subs. It's inconceivable to me that the government would let a contractor pick any random sub they wanted whenever they wanted without approval let alone without even informing the contracting officer, or have no control over the work a sub performed. When we've got a jet engine repair shop contracted to overhaul engines they don't get to just randomly choose whichever sub they want to do the non destructive testing of the components that's part of the contract with no control from the government on how they do it, for example. We'd want to have done due diligence on their qualifications, capabilities, and history because their performance or lack thereof can kill an aircrew just as fast as the prime's! What agency were you working with or in that allowed this and what kind of contract, just out of curiosity?
DoD
Old Sep 3, 2020, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by fgirard
Depending on the DoD project, things can go non-standard, very quickly.
DoD
It is not a blanket exemption. DoD contracts are still subject to the standard contracting procedures unless it has been designated as national security.

In some cases, DoD has intentionally not to designate contracts as national security sensitive and followed standard contracting procedures.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 10:26 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
It is not a blanket exemption. DoD contracts are still subject to the standard contracting procedures unless it has been designated as national security.

In some cases, DoD has intentionally not to designate contracts as national security sensitive and followed standard contracting procedures.
Not true.
https://www.acquisition.gov/far/part-44
https://www.acquisition.gov/far/52.244-2

For non-approved purchasing system contractors on a firm-fixed price contract consent is required for greater of SAT or 5% of contract. SAT in most cases is $250k which would be 5% of $5M. $10M contract you could sub out $500k without consent.
For approved contractors consent to sub is only required for contract specified components.
(a) If the contractor has an approved purchasing system, consent is required for subcontracts specifically identified by the contracting officer in the subcontracts clause of the contract. The contracting officer may require consent to subcontract if the contracting officer has determined that an individual consent action is required to protect the Government adequately because of the subcontract type, complexity, or value, or because the subcontract needs special surveillance. These can be subcontracts for critical systems, subsystems, components, or services. Subcontracts may be identified by subcontract number or by class of items (e.g., subcontracts for engines on a prime contract for air-frames).

Remember, DoD contracts for a lot more than planes, tanks, and ships.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not true.
https://www.acquisition.gov/far/part-44
https://www.acquisition.gov/far/52.244-2

For non-approved purchasing system contractors on a firm-fixed price contract consent is required for greater of SAT or 5% of contract. SAT in most cases is $250k which would be 5% of $5M. $10M contract you could sub out $500k without consent.
For approved contractors consent to sub is only required for contract specified components.

Remember, DoD contracts for a lot more than planes, tanks, and ships.
You took my word in the wrong way. I am referring to this:

Old Sep 4, 2020, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
You can generally call up American after it's booked and upfare the ticket for generally $30 to main cabin. I've done this plenty of times when I've booked special fare or discounted tickets.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The upfare will be the difference between what was paid for BE and the current cost of a Main Cabin ticket. The $30 is far from a constant, although it is a likely minimum.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by DuncanCrowdSync
You can generally call up American after it's booked and upfare the ticket for generally $30 to main cabin. I've done this plenty of times when I've booked special fare or discounted tickets.
Do you mean upfare, or cancel and rebook? I thought upfare from B was not allowed -- see here and here. And while cancel and rebook is allowed for B with no fees right now, it generally wasn't and won't be -- and in any case, unlike upfare, it doesn't leave the original payment intact and allow putting the difference on a separate payment method.

Last edited by FlyingEgghead; Sep 4, 2020 at 7:12 pm
Old Sep 5, 2020, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
Do you mean upfare, or cancel and rebook? I thought upfare from B was not allowed -- see here and here. And while cancel and rebook is allowed for B with no fees right now, it generally wasn't and won't be -- and in any case, unlike upfare, it doesn't leave the original payment intact and allow putting the difference on a separate payment method.
I'm guessing taking advantage of the 24hr window?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.