Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA to reduce staff by 40K, invol furlough 19,000, 1 Oct 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA to reduce staff by 40K, invol furlough 19,000, 1 Oct 2020

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2020, 7:03 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by TWA884
If you know the total company wide count of early retirements at AA or flight attendants early retirement figure for DL, please feel to share those.
About 4,100 Delta FAs took the early out program. After the early outs were finalized, DL said they were overstaffed by about 3,000 and encouraged more FAs to take temp leaves and offered some other more creative programs (eg fly every other month (so essentially job sharing), temp transfers to other departments like catering). As a result of all of this, DL announced yesterday that they would not have to involuntary furlough a single flight attendant this fall and winter.
TWA884 and hhdl like this.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 8:03 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
About 4,100 Delta FAs took the early out program. After the early outs were finalized, DL said they were overstaffed by about 3,000 and encouraged more FAs to take temp leaves and offered some other more creative programs (eg fly every other month (so essentially job sharing), temp transfers to other departments like catering). As a result of all of this, DL announced yesterday that they would not have to involuntary furlough a single flight attendant this fall and winter.
That is a very creative and employee friendly solution. Certainly inspires company loyalty.

Surprised AA didn't copy the idea. They copy everything else DL does.

My heart goes out to the 19,000 AA employees who will no longer be employed in 19 days.
GotCalcio4, wrp96 and cmd320 like this.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
I know I'm late to this, but I flew DCA-CLT a couple weeks ago on the day of the announcement. The entire crew I flew with had just been informed they were getting furloughed and that was going to be their last trip. This also happened to be an all female DCA-based crew, including the flight deck. It was very sad to see indeed, and despite their impending fates, the FAs were outstanding and offered PDBs and great service throughout the flight. I had a great conversation with the F class FA and gave her a hug on the way off the aircraft.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
I know I'm late to this, but I flew DCA-CLT a couple weeks ago on the day of the announcement. The entire crew I flew with had just been informed they were getting furloughed and that was going to be their last trip.
It doesn't start until Oct. 1 (unless they volunteered for something that was effective earlier).
jcatman likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Bear96
It doesn't start until Oct. 1 (unless they volunteered for something that was effective earlier).
But crew scheduling isn't going to wait until then which is why some probably were told already as crew scheduling would need updated rosters of available FAs to work on or after 10/1
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fly747first
But crew scheduling isn't going to wait until then which is why some probably were told already as crew scheduling would need updated rosters of available FAs to work on or after 10/1
Yes I understand about being notified. But he also said that was their last trip.

The entire crew I flew with had just been informed they were getting furloughed and that was going to be their last trip.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 11:11 am

Programs: AA EP
With such reduced flying, crews aren’t working a full schedule. So this could have been their last trip.

Old Sep 12, 2020, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
With such reduced flying, crews aren’t working a full schedule. So this could have been their last trip.
Most likely why they were already notified
Old Sep 12, 2020, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Of course it *could* have been but this is generally not how it works - to be told some time in August (presumably) that they will be laid off effective Oct. 1, and also told that the August trip they are currently on is their last one.

I think there was a miscommunication or misunderstanding somewhere.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think there was a miscommunication or misunderstanding somewhere.
Pretty much the oldest story in the book with AA, haha
Old Sep 13, 2020, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fly747first
Pretty much the oldest story in the book with AA, haha
I didn't necessarily mean on AA's end. I meant more likely with whatever actually happened vs. what ended up being posted here.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 4:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Just boarded AA1839 DCA-DFW. All 4 FAs are commiserating about what they're doing once furlough starts...

"I might as well go home, no point paying rent or staying in a crash pad forever"
"Yeah, I guess spend some time with the family, get some furlough pay"
"Oh, I don't get furlough pay, I'm less than a year in"
"This year's been hard enough"
"Maybe they'll pass a bill, we still have a week?"
Etc.

Sad times.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Just boarded AA1839 DCA-DFW. All 4 FAs are commiserating about what they're doing once furlough starts...

"I might as well go home, no point paying rent or staying in a crash pad forever"
"Yeah, I guess spend some time with the family, get some furlough pay"
"Oh, I don't get furlough pay, I'm less than a year in"
"This year's been hard enough"
"Maybe they'll pass a bill, we still have a week?"
Etc.

Sad times.
While I feel bad for them and wish them the best, that’s not really an appropriate conversation to have in front of customers at boarding.
enviroian likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 7:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by cmd320
While I feel bad for them and wish them the best, that’s not really an appropriate conversation to have in front of customers at boarding.
Agreed, but to be fair I'm in 1C and they were speaking quietly.
enviroian and cmd320 like this.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Agreed, but to be fair I'm in 1C and they were speaking quietly.
Ahh, okay that makes more sense. I was picturing this happening at the boarding door as people were walking on the plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.