Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA introduces Flight Credit Wallet (Aug 2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA introduces Flight Credit Wallet (Aug 2020)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2020, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Centurion
Can I extend a electronic flight credit in my AA wallet if I use a portion of the credit for a new flight? Will the remainder of the flight credit amount in my AA wallet be extended?
Main thread---> AA introduces Flight Credit Wallet (Aug 2020)
A thread where a wiki would be of assistance
Old Sep 14, 2020, 8:10 pm

Can someone please start a wiki?... There are multiple types of vouchers that can be held in the Wallet. Flight Voucher , Travel Voucher etc. I would like to know if a wallet flight voucher expiration can be extended by using just a portion of it does the remainder get a new expiration date? Well I just dug this up...We issue 3 types of travel credit: Flight Credit, Travel Vouchers and Trip Credit. Travel credit can be used to book flights only and is not valid for extras like seats or bags.

Flight Credit

Created by

Flights that you canceled

Valid for

• Flights only
  • Can't be used for extras like
    seats or bags

Number per trip

1 per passenger

Who can use it

Only the same passenger on the canceled ticket can book and travel using a Flight Credit

Expires

Travel must begin 1 year from the date of issue.*

See if your Flight Credit qualifies

How to redeem

On aa.com, or

Contact Reservations

*Flight Credits issued for flights canceled due to COVID-19 can be used for travel through December 31, 2021.
How to find and redeem your Flight CreditThis content can be expanded

Travel Voucher

Issued for

U.S. residents only

Valid for

• Flights only
    seats or bags

Number per trip

Up to 8 per trip

Who can use it

Can be used by the voucher holder to book travel for anyone

Expires

1 year from date issued

How to redeem

On aa.com, or

Contact Reservations
How to find and redeem your Travel VoucherThis content can be expanded

Trip Credit

Issued for

Compensation by us, or for remaining value from a Flight Credit exchange

Valid for

• Flights only
    seats or bags

Number per trip

Up to 8 per trip

Who can use it

Can be used by the credit holder to book travel for anyone

Expires

1 year from date issued

How to redeem

Contact Reservations
Old Sep 16, 2020, 10:00 am

Strategies for using AA Flight credit before Feb 2021

Hi-
My husband’s flight credit from a covid-cancelled trip in November 2020 must be used by early February 2021 since it was booked in February 2020. Don’t have any travel plans between now and then, but hate to waste the credit. Should I try booking something before the February 2021 date and then hope I can change it without cancellation fees if AA extends that option? I could use the flight credit in late May 2021. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Old Sep 16, 2020, 10:06 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I got the voucher extended by sending it with a request. They granted it easily but said it was a one time extension.

Did you look under the wallet at aa.com to see if it's shown as a travel fund? It shows revised expiration dates there.

I think if you rebook now, and then cancel shortly afterwards, your new credit is good for a year, but I'm not sure.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 11:35 am

It’s a flight credit with expiration date of 2/11/21. States only valid for 12 months from date of issue. I have to call to rebook. When I cancelled original flights with AA rep, was told I could not extend expiration date. This is why I’m posing my questions here to see if anyone has recommendations.
Thanks
Old Sep 16, 2020, 12:27 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
I'm pretty sure all these got extended to December 31, 2021.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by kajaz
It’s a flight credit with expiration date of 2/11/21. States only valid for 12 months from date of issue. I have to call to rebook. When I cancelled original flights with AA rep, was told I could not extend expiration date. This is why I’m posing my questions here to see if anyone has recommendations.
Thanks
When an AA rep tells you something:
1) It could be right at the time and incorrect now
2) It could be discretionary at the time and another agent would extend it
3) They could be wrong

If you've only called once, try again. You can do it via email to Customer Relations via aa.com and you won't have to wait on the phone. I got mine extended with a two day turnaround. Check what it says in your wallet first.
jerseytom likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
AA did not extend the expiration to Dec. 31, 2021 for tickets purchased prior to March 1.

I have the exact same problem- purchased tickets in early February for an early November trip. The tickets were for a huge convention in Vegas that totally fills flights from my home airport to LAS and thus we typically same $100's by purchasing so early. We purchased first class tickets so this is no small amount and there is no way we can use the voucher in time. Had we purchased the tickets just 3 weeks later we'd have 10 more months to use these up. I will contact AA at some point but I'd just been hoping they'd maybe realize the problem and extend the vouchers for everyone.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 11:35 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HERTZ PC, CH GOLD, IHG GOLD
Its a nice feature that the credits are displayed in one spot, but you still have to call reservations to use them. Why are they not allowing you to just apply them to bookings made online? That would be the real convenience and time saver.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 12:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Centurion
Can someone please start a wiki?... There are multiple types of vouchers that can be held in the Wallet. Flight Voucher , Travel Voucher etc. I would like to know if a wallet flight voucher expiration can be extended by using just a portion of it does the remainder get a new expiration date? Well I just dug this up...We issue 3 types of travel credit: Flight Credit, Travel Vouchers and Trip Credit. Travel credit can be used to book flights only and is not valid for extras like seats or bags.
Is there any way to get a Travel Voucher instead of the Flight Credit when cancelling a flight?

I may book a flight for other family members that don't travel often, so I'd prefer the flexibility of the voucher (which can be used for anyone), in case the trip ultimately needs to be cancelled.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 7:27 am

Programs: AA (Exec Plat), ANA (Plat), Club Carlson (Gld), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Plat), SPG (Gld)
Originally Posted by Casswiki
Its a nice feature that the credits are displayed in one spot, but you still have to call reservations to use them. Why are they not allowing you to just apply them to bookings made online? That would be the real convenience and time saver.
Actually, you can use them online. If you go here, then scroll down to the first section "Trip Credit" and click on the link that says "How to find and redeem your Flight Credit" it walks you through exactly how to use them online. And this process does work as long as you do not put a flight on hold first. The second you put a flight on hold, the payment option no longer presents the Flight Credit Option but only the credit card or other form of payment options which do not allow flight credits to be used.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 8:41 am

Programs: AA (Exec Plat), ANA (Plat), Club Carlson (Gld), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Plat), SPG (Gld)
Originally Posted by thunderdeacon
I think that if you are getting a credit for the price difference after booking the flight, American is still sending the traditional voucher. I used a credit to book a flight last week and still had $13 left from the credit. They said that the $13 would be sent to me as a voucher. I got it about 48 hours later. It's a traditional voucher with the long number and the 4-Digit pin.
What was the expiration date of the new $13 voucher sent? Was it 1 year from when it was generated or 1 year from when you purchased your original flight using the flight credit?
Old Sep 23, 2020, 9:07 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by Joe1690
Actually, you can use them online. If you go here, then scroll down to the first section "Trip Credit" and click on the link that says "How to find and redeem your Flight Credit" it walks you through exactly how to use them online. And this process does work as long as you do not put a flight on hold first. The second you put a flight on hold, the payment option no longer presents the Flight Credit Option but only the credit card or other form of payment options which do not allow flight credits to be used.
The "Add Travel Credit" button doesn't appear for me. I read those directions too, but it's not there. Did you try it, or did you just read the directions? It could be because I had two people in the booking, but the TC's are only for me. But another poster said they still always has to call.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, DL Plat (but not for long)
Originally Posted by BlooJoo
The "Add Travel Credit" button doesn't appear for me. I read those directions too, but it's not there. Did you try it, or did you just read the directions? It could be because I had two people in the booking, but the TC's are only for me. But another poster said they still always has to call.
It's a little tricky. When you get to the Review and Pay page choose "Other Forms of Payment" and then a Payment Type drop box will appear. Choose the "Gift Card/Travel Voucher/Flight Discounts" option and then it will take you to a page where you enter the information. I hope that is helpful.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 8:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by KKinLA
It's a little tricky. When you get to the Review and Pay page choose "Other Forms of Payment" and then a Payment Type drop box will appear. Choose the "Gift Card/Travel Voucher/Flight Discounts" option and then it will take you to a page where you enter the information. I hope that is helpful.
That’s for e-vouchers. I’m talking about travel credits. Please see the directions referenced above under the Travel Credits section.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.