Wiki Posts
Search

Europe SOF to Vancouver YVR reroute

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2020, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Europe SOF to Vancouver YVR reroute

I bought one of those excellently priced ex-SOF tickets to travel to Vancouver next April, and home from Seattle. A holiday, but partly as a (mileage) TP run, I credit to BA executive club. I routed SOF-LHR-JFK-LAX-YVR. After schedule changes best I can see the only AA route to YVR is now DFW, and I've been rerouted SOF-LHR-DFW-YVR which results in a 140TP less. April is a long way off, and at present as a UK passport holder I can't travel to the USA or Canada. So should I just sit tight and see what happens, or should I attempt to get it changed to something I'd prefer like SOF-LHR-PHL-PHX-DFW-YVR now? Will AA likely allow the slightly to and fro routing?
Old Aug 9, 2020, 7:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I doubt that AA scheduling for next year is anything other than a placeholder. Would not worry about this until at least 45 days out and, even then, expect issues along the way. With fluid scheduling, every connection adds issues. On the other hand, travel restrictions and screenings may be less or more. The key with a US connection is that there is no transit. Thus, you will need to be admissible, even if only for a few hours.
dougzz likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 8:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by dougzz
should I attempt to get it changed to something I'd prefer like SOF-LHR-PHL-PHX-DFW-YVR now? Will AA likely allow the slightly to and fro routing?
the schedule change will allow you to make the change you want, and there's no reason to make it now... you might not want to wait until the day before travel because of availability, but you might as well wait until a month out
dougzz likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
the schedule change will allow you to make the change you want, and there's no reason to make it now... you might not want to wait until the day before travel because of availability, but you might as well wait until a month out
Thank you. No rush, happy to do it later, just thought I’d check there was no reason to do it quickly after an airline change.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by dougzz
I bought one of those excellently priced ex-SOF tickets to travel to Vancouver next April, and home from Seattle. A holiday, but partly as a (mileage) TP run, I credit to BA executive club. I routed SOF-LHR-JFK-LAX-YVR. After schedule changes best I can see the only AA route to YVR is now DFW, and I've been rerouted SOF-LHR-DFW-YVR which results in a 140TP less. April is a long way off, and at present as a UK passport holder I can't travel to the USA or Canada. So should I just sit tight and see what happens, or should I attempt to get it changed to something I'd prefer like SOF-LHR-PHL-PHX-DFW-YVR now? Will AA likely allow the slightly to and fro routing?
As long as you have credit from a canceled trip, you can use that flight credit for whatever route you can manage to book online.
But, if you are just going to call AA regarding the currently booked trip and ask them to add additional segments, I doubt it would be an easy task to get them to agree. (Of course, YMMV)
Old Aug 9, 2020, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mvoight
As long as you have credit from a canceled trip, you can use that flight credit for whatever route you can manage to book online.
But, if you are just going to call AA regarding the currently booked trip and ask them to add additional segments, I doubt it would be an easy task to get them to agree. (Of course, YMMV)
OK, I’d intended the later. Their reroute cut the number of segments, so I’m not asking for anything I didn’t already have previously, but I take your point.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
By next April, there's a good chance that Alaska will be in oneworld, so if you can have AA get you to LAX you could route LAX-PDX/SEA-YVR on AA/AS, possibly using an AA*/AS codeshare for the last bit (not sure). Dunno if doing that on one ticket will be possible, but it's another option to think about given that AA no longer has LAX-YVR on their schedule. Worth asking at least if AA can reinstate your original SOF-LAX routing and use AS to get you from LAX to YVR, which will add a segment.

I agree with others that currently-posted schedules for April mean little. I think there is a pretty good chance that the US-Canada border will remain closed to non-essential travel at that point, for example. But any accurate guess would require an accurate prediction of the COVID trends, as well as political trends in the US and Canada, for the next eight months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.