New - using miles for better seats

Old Aug 3, 2020, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, 2MM, Bonvoy PLT, NYT Monday crossword puzzle solver extraordinaire
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
I'm pretty sure that was a typo, and what you meant to write was "except J or F."

(Sorry, I couldn't resist. )
LOL! Apparently FT's been infected with Covid, or something that causes everyone to make spelling errors. Thanks for the humorous correction.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 7:47 pm

Programs: Several
Originally Posted by fotographer
I miss the days when the seat map on the plane.. had your pick of any seat.... expect J and F of course...
you know there will be a time, when they will start charging for every seat you choose....
Allegiant already does this, and it is apparently the only way to guarantee seats together if traveling in a group. $15 for a rear of the aircraft aisle or window seat. That makes the exit rows, at $30, seem like a bargain.

I know Allegiant’s pricing in seat selection is dynamic based on route, and I’m not as familiar with other ULCCs to compare. United’s pretty bad with this IMO as they charge for ‘regular’ economy which allows you to select a seat, but they still have a majority of seats listed as preferred (which is still an additional amount charged to be closer to the front) despite them not being E+ seats. Down the rabbit hole we go.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by UVU Wolverine
Allegiant already does this, and it is apparently the only way to guarantee seats together if traveling in a group. $15 for a rear of the aircraft aisle or window seat. That makes the exit rows, at $30, seem like a bargain.

I know Allegiant’s pricing in seat selection is dynamic based on route, and I’m not as familiar with other ULCCs to compare. United’s pretty bad with this IMO as they charge for ‘regular’ economy which allows you to select a seat, but they still have a majority of seats listed as preferred (which is still an additional amount charged to be closer to the front) despite them not being E+ seats. Down the rabbit hole we go.
Pretty sure for both F9 and NK you have to pay to select any seat in advance as well.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 9:11 pm

Programs: Several
Originally Posted by cmd320
Pretty sure for both F9 and NK you have to pay to select any seat in advance as well.
I’m not surprised, I was expecting the same for pretty much every ULCC. It’s funny because Allegiant charges about the same for my regular route as United does for selecting seats (even though United is two flights and Allegiant is direct).

I haven’t seen what AA charges to select seats since it’s been a few years since I’ve flown them. I can only imagine how ‘a la carte’ everything will be in a few years, and then of course, you can use miles to get ‘better’ seats. That may only be a benefit for frequent flyers with elite status though! Lol.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 5:02 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Here is pricing for my basic economy ticket.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mrp Alert
Here is pricing for my basic economy ticket.
You can upgrade to MCE on basic Y? I thought that was not permitted...
Old Aug 21, 2020, 9:22 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
Yes. For the same price as upgrading from main cabin!!! If you are not worried about EQM or upgrade opportunities, often buying basic and paying for seat assignments in coach is cheaper than paying for main cabin. And MCE might not end up being much more than main cabin depending on prices and how many legs there are in the trip.

Originally Posted by cmd320
You can upgrade to MCE on basic Y? I thought that was not permitted...
Old Aug 22, 2020, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thunderdeacon
Yes. For the same price as upgrading from main cabin!!! If you are not worried about EQM or upgrade opportunities, often buying basic and paying for seat assignments in coach is cheaper than paying for main cabin. And MCE might not end up being much more than main cabin depending on prices and how many legs there are in the trip.
Good to know. I had no idea.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.