Award flight partial refund

Old Jul 29, 20, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA,AA, WN
Award flight partial refund

Our Award flight from DFW to CLT was delayed due to mechanical, causing us to miss our flight to final destination. Next flight available was following afternoon. We rented a car drove the final 200 miles. AA contract of Carriage says if you chose not to fly due to delays they will refund cost of the flight section not flown.
Question is, on a Award flight how would AA refund a portion of a Award flight?
Old Jul 30, 20, 5:05 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by mrlasssen View Post
Our Award flight from DFW to CLT was delayed due to mechanical, causing us to miss our flight to final destination. Next flight available was following afternoon. We rented a car drove the final 200 miles. AA contract of Carriage says if you chose not to fly due to delays they will refund cost of the flight section not flown.
For paid flights yes,, but unfortunately for award flights this gets tricky as from a pricing perspective the DFW-CLT flight you took would cost the same miles as the DFW-CLT-XXX you actually booked, at least on the surface.

Your best bet is to file a claim with customer relations via aa.com, ask for reimbursement of your rental car expenses and some miles as compensation.
Old Jul 30, 20, 6:08 am

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
For paid flights yes,, but unfortunately for award flights this gets tricky as from a pricing perspective the DFW-CLT flight you took would cost the same miles as the DFW-CLT-XXX you actually booked, at least on the surface.

Your best bet is to file a claim with customer relations via aa.com, ask for reimbursement of your rental car expenses and some miles as compensation.
The thing with AA is that their customer service responses are extremely inconsistent. In the past, I experienced a similar situation on an award ticket (CLT PHL PVD) where I encountered two cancellations the same day and got stuck in PHL so I asked a friendly agent if they could put me back to CLT the same day and they did. I wrote to AA and they refunded the full mileage amount of my ticket but I suspect they were more generous because of my status.
Old Jul 30, 20, 6:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AA must refund the fare difference. For this ticket, that is likely 0 miles. Anything therefore is a customer service gesture and not a refund. AA's responses tend to be tied to status and thus appear inconsistent but are not if one drills down.

It is little work to pursue this with AA. But, the reality is that the additional expenses are likely covered by your travel insurance and you may want to start there.
Old Jul 30, 20, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fly747first View Post
The thing with AA is that their customer service responses are extremely inconsistent. In the past, I experienced a similar situation on an award ticket (CLT PHL PVD) where I encountered two cancellations the same day and got stuck in PHL so I asked a friendly agent if they could put me back to CLT the same day and they did. I wrote to AA and they refunded the full mileage amount of my ticket but I suspect they were more generous because of my status.
This was a trip in vain. Due to delays continuing to destination serves no purpose. Thus they'll fly you back to origin and issue refund.
Old Jul 30, 20, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mrlasssen View Post
Where did you fly from to DFW? When one flight is flown, but not other, I find usually they base it on % of total flight miles. I say usually, I've seen different responses and due agree status helps.
Old Jul 31, 20, 7:22 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fly747first View Post
This sounds like a trip-in-vain, in which case a return to one's origin and a full refund is appropriate.
Old Jul 31, 20, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS View Post
This sounds like a trip-in-vain, in which case a return to one's origin and a full refund is appropriate.

Dont think the OP was at all interested in returning home after all he posted they rented a car to srive to their final destination.

OP make sure you contact AA since you no-showed your 2nd flight which seems to be on your Outbound if it was a round-trip tkt they probably CXed your return
Old Jul 31, 20, 9:56 am

Programs: AA Exp (2020 is first and last year). Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
In general, the refund will be pro-rated according to distance. Based on what you said, that will probably be a relatively small portion of the total miles you paid, but that's how they do it.
Old Jul 31, 20, 10:36 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by craz View Post
Dont think the OP was at all interested in returning home after all he posted they rented a car to srive to their final destination.
Correct. I was responding to a statement from a different poster about why he got a refund on his award ticket.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: