Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Changed my flight and won't refund me!

Old Jul 27, 20, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Hi Everyone, I booked a round trip non-stop ticket between LGA and RDU. I just checked my flight and I noticed that AA has cancelled the 2 flights I was originally booked on and put me on a connecting flight both for the outbound and return flights. This obviously isn't what I paid for so I called for a refund and they said they can only give me an airline credit and not refund it back to my credit card because they're are still getting me to my final destination within 4 hours of my original arrival time. I have tried searching on the AA website for their refund policy and I can't find anything. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get my $ back or know AA's policies? I always fly Delta so not really familiar with AA's policies... thanks!
Old Jul 27, 20, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by matthewnyc View Post
Hi Everyone, I booked a round trip non-stop ticket between LGA and RDU. I just checked my flight and I noticed that AA has cancelled the 2 flights I was originally booked on and put me on a connecting flight both for the outbound and return flights. This obviously isn't what I paid for so I called for a refund and they said they can only give me an airline credit and not refund it back to my credit card because they're are still getting me to my final destination within 4 hours of my original arrival time. I have tried searching on the AA website for their refund policy and I can't find anything. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get my $ back or know AA's policies? I always fly Delta so not really familiar with AA's policies... thanks!
You're due a refund due to the added connection - you can call again or just cancel the ticket online and request a refund citing the schedule change.
Spiff likes this.
Old Jul 27, 20, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM lifetime Platinum, Expedia +gold +++
Yes, even with the new rules as of April 8, 2020 it looks like a nonstop-conneciton qualifies for a refund. Here is the info I found on AA.com:

"For original ticket date of issue on/after April 8, 2020
Note: for ticket date of issue prior to April 8, 2020 view Schedule Change Refunds issued prior to 08APR2020
Greater than 4 hours or
Nonstop to Connecting Flight (No length of delay required) or
Change of Operating Carrier (Example: AA to American Eagle) or
AA or AA*/Codeshare, Reduction in Frequency (Day of week)/Suspension of Service or
Discontinuation/ Withdrawal of Service (wholly unused or partially used)
 Refund to Original Form of Payment Allowed, as long as customer was Holding
Confirmed (HK) prior to the change
 Travel Agent to Process Ticket Refund To Original Form Of Payment (FOP)"
Kacee, Auto Enthusiast and Spiff like this.
Old Jul 27, 20, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA - Platinum; 1W Sapphire; HHonors Gold; UA dirt
This is a definite HUACA. Any nonstop that turns into a connection is due a refund.
Old Jul 27, 20, 8:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Has nothing to do with nonstops, connections or time changes. All that matters is that the flight was cancelled. The DOT rule is clear: either a cancellation or significant change.

If you want to call, go ahead. But, if you get another "no" send a written request for a refund based on the cancellation and citing the DOT rule. If a refund is not initiated within 7 days, file a chargeback and a DOT complaint. Do that in writing too. Make certain that you include a copy of copy of your e-ticket receipt, the notice of cancellation, your request for a refund and whatever response you receive denying it (or that you have not received a response).

Chances are that your card issuer will process the chargeback in short order and that the merchant acquirer won't fight this.

No need to spend time or effort beyond filling out a few online forms,
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jul 27, 20, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I would use one attempt to get AA to rectify it and at that point Id just use my CC company and have them remove the charge. Not worth my time.
Old Jul 27, 20, 11:41 pm

just cancel the reservation and then put the refund request in yourself at prefunds.aa.com.

the refunds team will refund it.
ebuck likes this.
Old Jul 28, 20, 7:10 am

Programs: AA PLT/ 1MM+, Marriott Gold
I have found the agents on twitter to be an effective option to calling. Then you have a “paper” trail also
TravelFu likes this.
Old Jul 28, 20, 9:53 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
As others have said, just cancel it and submit the refund request. If the situation is as described, this is straightforward.
Old Jul 28, 20, 10:54 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
just cancel the reservation and then put the refund request in yourself at prefunds.aa.com.

The prefunds.aa.com sites >>>> calling in my opinion. It is very quick, and often, it will auto recognize that a refund is due, and if it needs reviewed, pointing to the exact reason you are requesting is easy to do. Back in March, I successfully got full cc refunds on every ticket I had coming up and it was so much faster and easier than calling.

Also, The twitter team got my upgrade awards returned to my account, and points redeemed back in my account, within a day of dm'ing them.

HUCA seems so yesterday...
Old Jul 28, 20, 11:37 am

Programs: AA PLT, Hertz Gold Plus, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by MarkOK View Post
The prefunds.aa.com sites >>>> calling in my opinion. It is very quick, and often, it will auto recognize that a refund is due, and if it needs reviewed, pointing to the exact reason you are requesting is easy to do. Back in March, I successfully got full cc refunds on every ticket I had coming up and it was so much faster and easier than calling..
This has now worked well for me three times.
Old Jul 30, 20, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your help everyone. I appreciate it.
JPG3392 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 20, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Surprisingly after submitting the request through prerefunds.aa.com they are only giving me credit so looks like I'll have to dispute the charge with Amex
Old Aug 18, 20, 6:38 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by matthewnyc View Post
Surprisingly after submitting the request through prerefunds.aa.com they are only giving me credit so looks like I'll have to dispute the charge with Amex
Something is strange if that's the case. AA has been solid in issuing refunds when a refund is due. After your flights cancelled, did you voluntarily accept the alternative flights before deciding to ask for a refund?
FAA1996 likes this.
Old Aug 20, 20, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Colin View Post

They denied my direct flight to connection refund request so I appealed to customer service. Later sent a followup to include a
copy of their policy statement in case their appeal agent hadn't seen it and got a snippy response that my request was
already under appeal and if it was denied again there would be no further recourse.
I'm waiting but not very optimistic.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: