Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Airlines says no more mask exceptions

American Airlines says no more mask exceptions

Old Jul 27, 2020, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by PlatinumScum
One thing that I haven't seen discussed in any of these threads is sleeping. Has anyone here actually taken a longhaul flight and slept in a mask? I honestly can't see how it's possible.
Did you know there are countries full of people who sleep with masks? Have you ever taken a Japan Airlines flight, where they offer you a mask to sleep with? Actually is pretty good as a humidifier.
asnovici and fotoflyer88 like this.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
On long flights people sleep, especially long international flights.
You're not unconscious when you are sleeping. Otherwise you would never be woken up by someone calling your name.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Often1
+1

No exemptions, not exceptions. Just "reasonable accommodations."

There are many examples of people with a permanent or temporary disability who are not "fit to fly" and for whom no "reasonable accommodation" is possible.

The key is to keep the social judgments out of it as well as one's own personal views of the requirement.
Under the ACAA unlike the ADA in order to ban a person as a direct threat they must show the person has a communicable disease. The ACAA is wholly unlike the ADA. It restricts when a carrier can refuse to carry to a very specific set of criteria. Amongst the criteria listed in the rules (provided in DOT link in earlier post) is if a person has, NOT might have a CD. Even then they're to use public health authority advice/ guidelines. Those currently have allowances.

If this were the ADA, yes AA could refuse. I've pointed out to numerous companies they can refuse to allow entry. For retailers/those that sell there's a reasonable accommodation that stops the fakers. Offer call ahead ordering and then deliver to curbside when they pull up. ADA doesn't require the accommodation be what the person asked. The ADA doesn't have a restriction prohibiting entry unless a person has a CD that poses a direct threat. OTOH, the ACAA does.

The new onboard announcements only further any case against them. They say "it shows courtesy to fellow passengers." While I agree, again I believe DOT/FAA should implement a rule requiring, this just gives ammunition that this is PR, not medical.

Some may wonder why I care if I agree. I care because the airlines have in past frequently tried to violate the ACAA. I know multiple people with various disabilities who need accommodations. If airline gets away once with violating the ACAA, they'll try and do it again.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Actually it is. In fact every mask order is clear,don't wear when unconscious or unable to take off.
Being asleep is not the same as being unconscious. A sleeping person will respond to loud noises or gentle shaking. An unconscious person will not. Unless you drug or drink yourself to sleep, you are not unconcious while you sleep. Wearing a mask while you sleep is no different than wearing an eye mask or a blanket.
fotoflyer88 likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by FAA1996
Being asleep is not the same as being unconscious. A sleeping person will respond to loud noises or gentle shaking. An unconscious person will not. Unless you drug or drink yourself to sleep, you are not unconcious while you sleep. Wearing a mask while you sleep is no different than wearing an eye mask or a blanket.
With the way people clamor for the Pre Departure beverages here .. some of them might actually be unconscious.
FAA1996 likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sleeping on a plane with a mask is fine. Then again, I find sleeping on an airplane to be easy, and now that I'm used to wearing masks, that doesn't bother me either. One benefit of sleeping in a mask is that since your eyes are closed it doesn't matter if your glasses fog up.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Stickboy46
With the way people clamor for the Pre Departure beverages here .. some of them might actually be unconscious.
Nah, they'd be stone cold sober as they didn't get one
jcatman likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by wjbesh
For years now I have worn a cloth mask when sleeping on a redeye flight since it has helped retain moisture so that I don’t wake up dehydrated with an uncomfortably dry mouth due to the plane’s bone dry air. I got the idea originally from JAL’s business class, which hands out masks with moisture pads as part of its amenity kit. Have now used a cloth mask on 20+ international flights while sleeping, all pre-COVID, and have experienced zero issues.
There you go, they have been doing it as a hobby all along...

My recent experience is that you can still sleep, but at times it may get a bit uncomfortable, because if you sleep on your side that side of the mask is pressed against the pillow, so there is no air coming in from that side, assuming your mask was a bit loose on the sides. If you wear an N95 it makes no difference, as no air is coming in when you are awake or asleep...
Old Jul 27, 2020, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FAA1996
Incorrect. Unconsciousness doesn't mean totally unresponsive, just mostly unresponsive. Basically as an example the difference of being asleep and being in a coma. You're unconscious in both, however in a coma you generally don't respond to anything.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 10:21 pm

I think what airlines are trying to say, if you are unable to wear a mask, for whatever reason, you are unable to fly with us. Please be safe, and best wishes to you.
AAway, aztimm and fotoflyer88 like this.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 8:05 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Incorrect. Unconsciousness doesn't mean totally unresponsive, just mostly unresponsive. Basically as an example the difference of being asleep and being in a coma. You're unconscious in both, however in a coma you generally don't respond to anything.

I'm guessing you've never worked in an ER before. No medical professional I know of would ever document a sleeping person as unconscious. It would be "sleeping and responsive to verbal/physical stimuli". In a coma you can respond and often do to physical stimuli by withdrawing, flexion, or extension. Check out the Glascow coma scale.

Perhaps the credibility of quoting ACAA is damaged by the completely inaccurate medical terms and assessments you've been using.
GUWonder, FAA1996 and Stickboy46 like this.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 9:29 am

"Unconsciousness is when a person is unable to respond to people and activities. Doctors often call this a coma or being in a comatose state."
From medlineplus

I guess the real question is what type of "unconscious" (per your definition) you are.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 9:57 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Ok folks, this is the 3rd warning. Any more off-topic and this thread will get closed.

I have no idea what all the chatter is about being unconscious or not, but it has nothing to do with AA. If you post in this thread, the post should be relative to flying on AA.

Thank you.

~moderator
Old Jul 28, 2020, 5:51 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
MD hat off. Trying to stay on topic. my kids and grandkids went to Colorado on AA last week for a 7 day break from hanging out with us. They were in BE. 15% full to DFW, 50% on the next hop regional jet. NO problems with anti maskers on any of the 4 flights. The FAs let people in BE spread out. Also the AC was very specific about limiting contact and maintaining social distancing. Travel home on AA was the same. They felt very safe on AA and as one of them was my child, we have had the talk about COVID safety. They are millennials , but they are all in on personal safety especially on AA.
MD hat on.

1. take some extra masks for long hauls. they can get soggy, even on AA or OW flights with the dry air. We will wear an additional face covering like a gaiter to keep the mask fitted tightly. I think this should pass the AA rule and has some science behind it.
2. Have been wearing masks at work for 40 years. Have never had an issue with breathing and have never worked with anyone who had issues. Thats probably a 1000+ or so people/co-workers of all ages and co-morbidities including mine, may of them have flown AA. Also have worn a mask on a JL flight, AA code share during swine flu in 2009. Really was not a problem.
3. Face shields are in addition to masks. Or really eye protection. When we take our next AA flight in 1 month, we will wear masks and eye shields.

Please stay on topic. this is about AA.
DMPHL likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.