Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Airlines says no more mask exceptions

American Airlines says no more mask exceptions

Old Jul 26, 2020, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by DataPlumber
They should have just tossed him without pomp or circumstance, but instead they gave the 2bit side show, social media dope the attention they so desperately crave.

Way to take a stand, from coach
And I'm sure he's now banned from all future flying. Would also be gold if the other airlines followed suit after seeing his obviously fake medical exemption claim
asnovici likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
One thing that I haven't seen discussed in any of these threads is sleeping. Has anyone here actually taken a longhaul flight and slept in a mask? I honestly can't see how it's possible.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS Gold (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by PlatinumScum
One thing that I haven't seen discussed in any of these threads is sleeping. Has anyone here actually taken a longhaul flight and slept in a mask? I honestly can't see how it's possible.
"Another standout was American Airlines business-class mask, which senior editor Nick Ewen called his far-and-away winner thanks to its nose bump-out and massive coverage.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/airlin...rus-face-mask/
Old Jul 26, 2020, 10:15 pm

Programs: JMB, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Sleeping w/ a mask on isn't an issue, no different from wearing one for >1hr. Only thing to watch out for is bring spares in case you drool. Also, neck pillows can move the masks around depending on the size. Wasn't long haul but three 3-3.5hr flights in 1 day and it was fine.
I'm honestly amazed by how much people complain about the slight discomfort of wearing a mask. I've never seen so many grown men whine so much about something that isn't that bad lol
Antarius, rickg523 and wjbesh like this.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Stickboy46
And I'm sure he's now banned from all future flying. Would also be gold if the other airlines followed suit after seeing his obviously fake medical exemption claim
Why would he be banned? He was OK under the current policy. The new "no exception policy" is not yet in effect
Old Jul 27, 2020, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
They should have just tossed him without pomp or circumstance, but instead they gave the 2bit side show, social media dope the attention they so desperately crave.

Way to take a stand, from coach
What reason would they have for tossing him? The "no exceptions" policy takes effect July 29.
Under current policy, they could not remove him.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 12:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mvoight
What reason would they have for tossing him? The "no exceptions" policy takes effect July 29.
Under current policy, they could not remove him.
How about due to it being required currently unless a medical reason not to , combined with evidence from a previous twit post showing him wearing a mask

This suggests quite strongly to me that he had no justifiable reason not to wear a mask and so reasonable to bar him
Old Jul 27, 2020, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by lokisnake
Sleeping w/ a mask on isn't an issue, no different from wearing one for >1hr. Only thing to watch out for is bring spares in case you drool. Also, neck pillows can move the masks around depending on the size. Wasn't long haul but three 3-3.5hr flights in 1 day and it was fine.
I'm honestly amazed by how much people complain about the slight discomfort of wearing a mask. I've never seen so many grown men whine so much about something that isn't that bad lol
Actually it is. In fact every mask order is clear,don't wear when unconscious or unable to take off.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sbrower
What you are missing is that the physician is NOT saying "In my medical opinion you must allow them to fly." In other words, the airline is not disagreeing with the doctor. The airline is saying that if you can't wear a mask because: a) it makes you feel unhappy, politically correct or just plain uncomfortable; or, b) there is a legit medical reason, we are fine with either one. You just can't fly on our airplane.
The problem is b is not currently allowed under the ACAA. A has no law prohibiting AA from doing so. B isnt allowed unless they can show you have a communicable disease. In fact the CDC rules they point includes the exact medical exceptions they're trying to say don't matter.

Now, since I've been away for few days, I 100% agree with requiring masks. However the ACAA requires they make exceptions. Not just for breathing issues, but for those that can't physically wear one (ie missing an ear, lacking a nose, etc), etc... The only way to get around ACAA is to get FAA/DOT to mandate them.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 7:28 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by flyerCO
The problem is b is not currently allowed under the ACAA. A has no law prohibiting AA from doing so. B isnt allowed unless they can show you have a communicable disease. In fact the CDC rules they point includes the exact medical exceptions they're trying to say don't matter.

Now, since I've been away for few days, I 100% agree with requiring masks. However the ACAA requires they make exceptions. Not just for breathing issues, but for those that can't physically wear one (ie missing an ear, lacking a nose, etc), etc... The only way to get around ACAA is to get FAA/DOT to mandate them.
No, ACAA only requires that they make reasonable accommodation. They are saying that not wearing a mask is not a reasonable accommodation.
DMPHL, TWA884 and Often1 like this.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 7:44 am

Programs: AA EP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by PlatinumScum
For years now I have worn a cloth mask when sleeping on a redeye flight since it has helped retain moisture so that I dont wake up dehydrated with an uncomfortably dry mouth due to the planes bone dry air. I got the idea originally from JALs business class, which hands out masks with moisture pads as part of its amenity kit. Have now used a cloth mask on 20+ international flights while sleeping, all pre-COVID, and have experienced zero issues.
Stickboy46 likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 7:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by sbrower
No, ACAA only requires that they make reasonable accommodation. They are saying that not wearing a mask is not a reasonable accommodation.
+1

No exemptions, not exceptions. Just "reasonable accommodations."

There are many examples of people with a permanent or temporary disability who are not "fit to fly" and for whom no "reasonable accommodation" is possible.

The key is to keep the social judgments out of it as well as one's own personal views of the requirement.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 8:04 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Actually it is. In fact every mask order is clear,don't wear when unconscious or unable to take off.
Are you usually unconscious or physically impaired when flying? I have to admit after prolonged connection time and lounge access I may have been. ;-)

Wearing a mask should be required in every close proximity situation until the pandemic is under control and those who can't wear a mask should stay at home. The only peer reviewed study I was able to find about masks limiting O2, CO2, and tidal volume was a group of pregnant women fitted with a N-95 mask while under exercise. Wear a mask and don't kill your health care providers.
SugoiHikouki and wjbesh like this.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by mvoight
Why would he be banned? He was OK under the current policy. The new "no exception policy" is not yet in effect
1. He was being an ahole. They CAN refuse people for that.
2. Making a false claim that he's unable to wear a mask which is easily disproven with the public info he has online. It's obvious he was making a scene on purpose.

Yet again .. he can scream "my rights" all he wants. So can AA. They have a right to not serve people.
wjbesh likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
Are you usually unconscious or physically impaired when flying? I have to admit after prolonged connection time and lounge access I may have been. ;-)

Wearing a mask should be required in every close proximity situation until the pandemic is under control and those who can't wear a mask should stay at home. The only peer reviewed study I was able to find about masks limiting O2, CO2, and tidal volume was a group of pregnant women fitted with a N-95 mask while under exercise. Wear a mask and don't kill your health care providers.
On long flights people sleep, especially long international flights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.