Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA discontinues Executive Platinum baggage tags (2020)

AA discontinues Executive Platinum baggage tags (2020)

Old Jul 21, 20, 10:32 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 3
AA discontinues Executive Platinum baggage tags (2020)

I just found out today that AA has discontinued luggage tags for EPs. This is ridiculous. I understand COVID has taken a hit for the airlines but those of us spending tens of thousands of dollars on the airlines are now being told we arenít worth what $2 for two luggage tags as a sign of appreciation. Really? What can be done so that Bridget Blaise-Shamai and the rest of the AA executive team hear our voices and bring back these small tokens of pride that we are accustomed to? Thanks!!
Casswiki likes this.
therealamdq is offline  
Old Jul 21, 20, 10:40 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 173
Wow! Really. I hope you were being sarcastic.. Perhaps your right, but before the days of covid they would shower you with those. But when sn airline is losing money they are obviously going to try to save money. And this is one of them.
renila, SJOGuy, FAA1996 and 1 others like this.
dallaspopo is offline  
Old Jul 21, 20, 11:29 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Posts: 1,637
Originally Posted by therealamdq View Post
I just found out today that AA has discontinued luggage tags for EPs. This is ridiculous. I understand COVID has taken a hit for the airlines but those of us spending tens of thousands of dollars on the airlines are now being told we arenít worth what $2 for two luggage tags as a sign of appreciation. Really? What can be done so that Bridget Blaise-Shamai and the rest of the AA executive team hear our voices and bring back these small tokens of pride that we are accustomed to? Thanks!!
Welcome to Flyertalk, therealamdq.

This is just one of many, many cutbacks you can expect as American Airlines fights for its survival.
jcatman is offline  
Old Jul 21, 20, 11:41 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Posts: 5,388
So now everybody can use their old ones, even if they did not make status...
MorganB and SFO777 like this.
nk15 is offline  
Old Jul 22, 20, 12:07 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Programs: AA EP
Posts: 2,065
Bridget is not running AADV anymore.


Originally Posted by therealamdq View Post
I just found out today that AA has discontinued luggage tags for EPs. This is ridiculous. I understand COVID has taken a hit for the airlines but those of us spending tens of thousands of dollars on the airlines are now being told we arenít worth what $2 for two luggage tags as a sign of appreciation. Really? What can be done so that Bridget Blaise-Shamai and the rest of the AA executive team hear our voices and bring back these small tokens of pride that we are accustomed to? Thanks!!
AAExecPlatFlier is offline  
Old Jul 22, 20, 6:40 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Roswell, GA
Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Posts: 2,849
Well its a good thing I have way too many in my desk drawer.. now if anyone needs a few... just drop me a line
fotographer is offline  
Old Jul 22, 20, 6:54 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: NYC, USA
Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
Posts: 10,594
Hopefully we will still get EXP tags upon first achieving EXP, and also when passing a MM threshold. But otherwise, I agree that they mostly collect in a drawer.
ESpen36 is offline  
Old Jul 22, 20, 7:09 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Rolling Lakes Yacht Club
Posts: 4,655
I always trash mine. Theyíre tacky.
justforfun, bse118 and kcmd like this.
DataPlumber is offline  
Old Jul 22, 20, 7:23 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 3
New ep members donít get them either. They are gone altogether.
therealamdq is offline  
Old Jul 22, 20, 7:26 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Posts: 1,674
I've been EP for many years and didn't even know AA still did this. I don't recall getting one in years.

Regardless, they offer no value other than bragging rights, for those that care about such things. Yes, I admit years ago I routinely had my US CP and NW PT bag tags on my bags, so I'm guilty of doing something that in hindsight seems ridiculous.
IAHtraveler likes this.
USFlyerUS is offline  
Old Jul 22, 20, 7:52 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: DCA/IAD
Programs: AA - Platinum; 1W Sapphire; HHonors Gold; UA dirt
Posts: 6,077
First World problems.
MIAman3 and kcmd like this.
IADCAflyer is offline  
Old Jul 22, 20, 7:55 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DFW-In Plano & CDG-In the 11th
Programs: Airline Free Agent, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis likes me
Posts: 3,046
Originally Posted by ESpen36 View Post
Hopefully we will still get EXP tags upon first achieving EXP, and also when passing a MM threshold. But otherwise, I agree that they mostly collect in a drawer.
Originally Posted by DataPlumber View Post
I always trash mine. Theyíre tacky.
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS View Post
I've been EP for many years and didn't even know AA still did this. I don't recall getting one in years.

Regardless, they offer no value other than bragging rights, for those that care about such things. Yes, I admit years ago I routinely had my US CP and NW PT bag tags on my bags, so I'm guilty of doing something that in hindsight seems ridiculous.
I agree they are tacky, but I still use mine. But for me, I would, and still use two. Back to back, with those address labels one used to get from organizations soliciting donations, in between, plus my phone #. Has come in handy in the past on 3 occaisions when my checked bag got "separated" from its destination tag, and one time in NYC when an item was inadvertently left in a cab.

Other than that, I know I'm EXP, and as long as AA does too, it's all good.
Dallas49er is offline  
Old Jul 22, 20, 8:04 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Posts: 5,388
Originally Posted by jcatman View Post
Welcome to Flyertalk, therealamdq.

This is just one of many, many cutbacks you can expect as American Airlines fights for its survival.
Are you saying that the OP will be left holding the tags and there will be no airline...
nancypants likes this.
nk15 is offline  
Old Jul 22, 20, 8:33 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Frisco, TX
Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Posts: 22,088
I think this is great. It's about time we thin out the brag tag herd!

Last edited by enviroian; Jul 22, 20 at 8:47 am
enviroian is offline  
Old Jul 22, 20, 9:38 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: AUS
Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Posts: 6,143
Never used them. Complete waste of money on AA's part. Finally a cutback that makes sense. I do wish they would replace them with more of the "good job" certificates.

I may hold on to at least one of the prior ones if I still have one, as a souvenir after AA goes out of business. I believe I have similar tags from NW and Pan Am.
Stripe is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: