Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA discontinues Executive Platinum baggage tags (2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2020, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

I just found out today that AA has discontinued luggage tags for EPs. This is ridiculous. I understand COVID has taken a hit for the airlines but those of us spending tens of thousands of dollars on the airlines are now being told we aren’t worth what $2 for two luggage tags as a sign of appreciation. Really? What can be done so that Bridget Blaise-Shamai and the rest of the AA executive team hear our voices and bring back these small tokens of pride that we are accustomed to? Thanks!!
Casswiki likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 10:40 pm

Wow! Really. I hope you were being sarcastic.. Perhaps your right, but before the days of covid they would shower you with those. But when sn airline is losing money they are obviously going to try to save money. And this is one of them.
renila, SJOGuy, FAA1996 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 11:29 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by therealamdq
I just found out today that AA has discontinued luggage tags for EPs. This is ridiculous. I understand COVID has taken a hit for the airlines but those of us spending tens of thousands of dollars on the airlines are now being told we aren’t worth what $2 for two luggage tags as a sign of appreciation. Really? What can be done so that Bridget Blaise-Shamai and the rest of the AA executive team hear our voices and bring back these small tokens of pride that we are accustomed to? Thanks!!
Welcome to Flyertalk, therealamdq.

This is just one of many, many cutbacks you can expect as American Airlines fights for its survival.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
So now everybody can use their old ones, even if they did not make status...
MorganB and SFO777 like this.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 12:07 am

Programs: AA EP
Bridget is not running AADV anymore.

Originally Posted by therealamdq
Old Jul 22, 2020, 6:40 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Well its a good thing I have way too many in my desk drawer.. now if anyone needs a few... just drop me a line
Old Jul 22, 2020, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Hopefully we will still get EXP tags upon first achieving EXP, and also when passing a MM threshold. But otherwise, I agree that they mostly collect in a drawer.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 7:09 am

I always trash mine. They’re tacky.
justforfun, bse118 and kcmd like this.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 7:23 am
Original Poster

New ep members don’t get them either. They are gone altogether.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 7:26 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
I've been EP for many years and didn't even know AA still did this. I don't recall getting one in years.

Regardless, they offer no value other than bragging rights, for those that care about such things. Yes, I admit years ago I routinely had my US CP and NW PT bag tags on my bags, so I'm guilty of doing something that in hindsight seems ridiculous.
IAHtraveler likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 7:52 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
First World problems.
MIAman3 and kcmd like this.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 7:55 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Hopefully we will still get EXP tags upon first achieving EXP, and also when passing a MM threshold. But otherwise, I agree that they mostly collect in a drawer.
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
I always trash mine. They’re tacky.
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
I've been EP for many years and didn't even know AA still did this. I don't recall getting one in years.

Regardless, they offer no value other than bragging rights, for those that care about such things. Yes, I admit years ago I routinely had my US CP and NW PT bag tags on my bags, so I'm guilty of doing something that in hindsight seems ridiculous.
I agree they are tacky, but I still use mine. But for me, I would, and still use two. Back to back, with those address labels one used to get from organizations soliciting donations, in between, plus my phone #. Has come in handy in the past on 3 occaisions when my checked bag got "separated" from its destination tag, and one time in NYC when an item was inadvertently left in a cab.

Other than that, I know I'm EXP, and as long as AA does too, it's all good.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by jcatman
Welcome to Flyertalk, therealamdq.

This is just one of many, many cutbacks you can expect as American Airlines fights for its survival.
Are you saying that the OP will be left holding the tags and there will be no airline...
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I think this is great. It's about time we thin out the brag tag herd!

Last edited by enviroian; Jul 22, 2020 at 8:47 am
Old Jul 22, 2020, 9:38 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Never used them. Complete waste of money on AA's part. Finally a cutback that makes sense. I do wish they would replace them with more of the "good job" certificates.

I may hold on to at least one of the prior ones if I still have one, as a souvenir after AA goes out of business. I believe I have similar tags from NW and Pan Am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.