Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA discontinues Executive Platinum baggage tags (2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA discontinues Executive Platinum baggage tags (2020)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2020, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Tacky they may be - d*mn useful they can be as well. Some years back when the hand baggage rules about liquids and gels were about to come in, I flew to BCN. I mention that as we had to check bags which I hate doing. We arrived quite late at BCN and in the baggage hall going round and around I saw this bag with an ExPlat bag tag. I realised that this had to have been mishandled and was miles from it's proper destination and that someone. somewhere was without his razor, socks and underpants for the next day (and several more besides given the size). Although it was really none of my business, I did what I hope someone would do for me; I called American, I was passed around and someone said Thank You. I forgot all about it until I had a call one day from AA - the person from Customer Relations or some such called to pass on the owner's thanks and AA's for good measure as the bag was particularly important. I'd quite forgotten that.
So nice that you took some initiative but this story tells me it is, at best, a one in a million shot of actually accomplishing something. Hopefully the cards and tags from all the airlines, hotels, etc. that I’ve recycled over the years have been made into something more useful to humanity. That or they’re floating around the pacific somewhere.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond

Good. Less waste. All those things were good for was as material for the trash can. Never saw the point in them, and they certainly did notthing to make me feel "appreciated."
Old Jul 23, 2020, 1:55 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, SQ Krisflyer PPS, UA 1p, Marriot Lifetime Platinum, American EXP
I still have a Chairman's Preferred tag dated 1998 on one of my bags. The bag and the tag still going strong still. Rest are in the desk as needed.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by bse118

Good. Less waste. All those things were good for was as material for the trash can. Never saw the point in them, and they certainly did notthing to make me feel "appreciated."
Cab't believe we actually believe in the same point. Rare here.
bse118 likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
The only thing I will really miss are the thank you certs that came with these...will there be another way for us to receive them to give out? I admit as a CK, I love my metal tags, but with the downturn, not sure I will make CK next year (after the extension) unless they dramatically lower thresholds. I do use the thank you certs for employees when merited.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 7:22 pm

Not sure if it was Ex Plat tag or F cabin but I have head the lead flight attendant race an item I forgot in the overhead down to customs of a non usa country.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Update

I just received a call from Nick (EP Customer Care). They are going to print me tags as this is my first time making EP.
MorganB, jhartvu, apeortdz and 4 others like this.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 8:44 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by therealamdq
I just received a call from Nick (EP Customer Care). They are going to print me tags as this is my first time making EP.
I wonder if this is a one-off for you or a general policy where you only get bag tags when you make EP for the first time. Based on the responses in this thread, it seems that only getting tags on your first EP makes sense, people like them but once you have them more tags are just clutter.

Incidentally, Delta eliminated bag tags and elite cards for 2019 for FO and GM and then brought them back for all elite levels; it seems that they realized that it was an inexpensive way to make elites (especially elites that don't obsess over every detail like us on FT) feel special.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 9:53 am

I just made a small modification to mine just to mess with other EXPs

Old Jul 25, 2020, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by jAAmes
I just made a small modification to mine just to mess with other EXPs

Did you alter your Lifetime Fitness card?
jAAmes likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 10:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, KE GOLD, AMEX PLAT
Originally Posted by VFR
I wonder if this is a one-off for you or a general policy where you only get bag tags when you make EP for the first time. Based on the responses in this thread, it seems that only getting tags on your first EP makes sense, people like them but once you have them more tags are just clutter.

Incidentally, Delta eliminated bag tags and elite cards for 2019 for FO and GM and then brought them back for all elite levels; it seems that they realized that it was an inexpensive way to make elites (especially elites that don't obsess over every detail like us on FT) feel special.
Going to be qualifying for EP this weekend for the first time (excited!)

Will report back on the luggage tags. I will be very disappointed if they are no longer provided. It’s a milestone to celebrate.
GrumpyYoungMan and Casswiki like this.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 11:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, KE GOLD, AMEX PLAT
Update: Called EP Customer Care today and they said that EP luggage tags were in fact cancelled since May 2020. The fact that they never announced this benefit change is just upsetting.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 11:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by aixporter
Update: Called EP Customer Care today and they said that EP luggage tags were in fact cancelled since May 2020. The fact that they never announced this benefit change is just upsetting.
Ummm... in the age of Covid-19, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the lack of EXP luggage tags likely doesn't fall in the top 100 of peoples concerns. If not announcing the change registers on your "upsetting" meter than you must have a pretty stress free travel life and I'd consider yourself lucky.

Regards
Old Jul 27, 2020, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA- EXP 3mm, Marriott Titanium(Lifetime), *wood Plat, Hertz Pres. Circle, *bucks Gold, Joan Ranger
Maybe they are being replaced by Advantage Face Masks?

It would be great to have an Exec. Plat written on my mouth w/ OneWorld Emerald logo in lower corner. Club visits and Priority boarding will be a breeze!
SFO777 and Antarius like this.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA- EXP 3mm, Marriott Titanium(Lifetime), *wood Plat, Hertz Pres. Circle, *bucks Gold, Joan Ranger
Congrats & welcome!

Originally Posted by therealamdq

Nice to hear AA done right and hooked you up. Welcome to EP!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.