FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA & B6 (JetBlue) enhance Partnership: codesharing, coordination, status & earning (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2021713-aa-b6-jetblue-enhance-partnership-codesharing-coordination-status-earning.html)

sombrachinesca Jul 16, 2020 6:45 am

AA & B6 (JetBlue) enhance Partnership: codesharing, coordination, status & earning

AA announced JFK-focused alliance with JetBlue, also new flights to TLV and ATH
Newsroom - JetBlue and American Airlines Announce Strategic Partnership to Create More Competitive Options and Choice for Customers in the Northeast - American Airlines Group, Inc.

pre-merger, couldn't we earn AA miles on JetBlue?

GTITAN Jul 16, 2020 7:10 am

Would think this is encouraging for folks in Northeast who cannot get directly to NYC area on AA anymore like BUF, ROC, etc assuming that this partnership would work this way.

Safe Travels

Pasqualle7 Jul 16, 2020 7:14 am

Looks like the North Americas Airlines Arms Race is on. AA/Alaska/Jet Blue partnerships are solidifying AA in the NE, NW and the entire south (CLT and DFW Hubs) using B6 and Alaska as feeders. Wonder what United and Delta do in response. I wonder what this means for the future of T5, T7, and T8 at JFK. Now all of which are operated by airlines in an AA Partnership. Exciting for AA.

Jetblue Spin:

​​​​​​http://otp.investis.com/clients/us/j...1&newsid=69683

Abidjan Jul 16, 2020 7:21 am

Between this and Alaska Airlines partnership, I'm well chuffed. Great news.

LovePrunes Jul 16, 2020 7:25 am

This strategy does seem to potentially explain why JFK on AA metal has been declining over the past few years. Obviously this has been in the works for some time as it's potentially a pretty large partnership, even mentioning BOTH transcon on AA and Mint on B6.

Dn10 Jul 16, 2020 7:42 am

Wonder how this impacts JetBlue's future flights to London/Europe?

Pasqualle7 Jul 16, 2020 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Dn10 (Post 32535666)
Wonder how this impacts JetBlue's future flights to London/Europe?

​​​​​​"JetBlue is not joining oneworldŽ or the AA/IAG Atlantic Joint Business Agreement and will continue with plans to independently launch and operate trans-Atlantic flights to London in 2021."

bchandler02 Jul 16, 2020 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Pasqualle7 (Post 32535602)
Looks like the North Americas Airlines Arms Race is on. AA/Alaska/Jet Blue partnerships are solidifying AA in the NE, NW and the entire south (CLT and DFW Hubs) using B6 and Alaska as feeders. Wonder what United and Delta do in response. I wonder what this means for the future of T5, T7, and T8 at JFK. Now all of which are operated by airlines in an AA Partnership. Exciting for AA.

Jetblue Spin:

​​​​​​JetBlue and American Airlines Announce Strategic Partnership to Create More Competitive Options and Choice for Customers in the Northeast

Not sure there's anyone left for UA/DL to partner with unless they want to bring up the bottom.. Spirit, Allegiant, etc.

A321T Jul 16, 2020 7:57 am

Originally Posted by LovePrunes (Post 32535629)
This strategy does seem to potentially explain why JFK on AA metal has been declining over the past few years. Obviously this has been in the works for some time as it's potentially a pretty large partnership, even mentioning BOTH transcon on AA and Mint on B6.

Interesting, I interpreted the cause/effect in the opposite direction. AA is shrinking in NYC since they couldn't make it work after the DCA slot swap, so they pulled out and rebuilt around PHL. But they can't abandon NYC altogether given what a large market it is and it sucks to be #3 , so they worked on this deal. I interpreted AA on the west coast with LAX and AS similarly.

Pasqualle7 Jul 16, 2020 8:03 am

Originally Posted by bchandler02 (Post 32535701)
Not sure there's anyone left for UA/DL to partner with unless they want to bring up the bottom.. Spirit, Allegiant, etc.

Each other? Southwest? I could see the ULCCS all forming something.

econometrics Jul 16, 2020 8:14 am

Fantastic to finally see AA launch a JFK-TLV service. With LY now being grounded until August, and their future very uncertain after that, UA and AA are really moving aggressively to eat up the marketshare for S21.

TBD Jul 16, 2020 8:16 am

AA is indeed being quite aggressive these days, but they've never been an industry thought leader so we'll have to see.

Originally Posted by Pasqualle7 (Post 32535602)
AA/Alaska/Jet Blue partnerships are solidifying AA in the NE, NW and the entire south (CLT and DFW Hubs) using B6 and Alaska as feeders.

(bolding mine) I think Delta might disagree that AA has anywhere near a stronghold on the South.

I'm not sure there's any reason for DL to find a new partner. They were growing on their own in SEA, BOS, and now MIA.
Increasing domestic routes wouldn't necessarily serve United's interests, either, as they've been more focused on international traffic.

Pasqualle7 Jul 16, 2020 8:21 am

Originally Posted by TBD (Post 32535764)
AA is indeed being quite aggressive these days, but they've never been an industry thought leader so we'll have to see.

(bolding mine) I think Delta might disagree that AA has anywhere near a stronghold on the South.

I'm not sure there's any reason for DL to find a new partner. They were growing on their own in SEA, BOS, and now MIA.
Increasing domestic routes wouldn't necessarily serve United's interests, either, as they've been more focused on international traffic.

You missed the key word solidifying... not becoming a dominate force. Also between CLT, MIA, PHX, and DFW even with Delta at ATL AA is positioned quite strong in the south, not just the Southeast...

nerdbirdsjc Jul 16, 2020 8:26 am

Not sure there's anyone left for UA/DL to partner with

AA sought the AS/B6 partnerships because the airline dropped the ball on developing and implementing strong strategies for serving the most lucrative domestic markets. Delta and United, for all their flaws, don't have that problem. True, UA will have to rethink its fleet mix and network strategy for EWR, but it's starting from a stronger position than the constantly-retreating-in-metro-NYC AA.

cmd320 Jul 16, 2020 8:28 am

How different is this from the former B6 partnership for those who remember that?

My guess is it had to be done to get more domestic feed to AA flights out of JFK as there's pretty much no real network left there on AA.