Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA & B6 (JetBlue) enhance Partnership: codesharing, coordination, status & earning

Old Jan 14, 2021, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
American Airlines announced a new strategic partnership including codesharing on some routes in July 2020. In January 2021, several other enhancements to this partnership were announced, including:

Important components of the alliance will be introduced starting in the first quarter of 2021 and phased in over the course of the year:

• Seamless customer experience
    With each element of the alliance, customers flying in and out of New York and Boston will enjoy a more seamless experience across both airlines, including the ability to book a single itinerary on either website, access to the alliances significant global network, convenient connections, access to loyalty benefits and an improved on-the-ground experience resulting in a compelling proposition for both leisure and corporate customers.
  • Network alignment in the Northeast
    The alliance will offer customers the largest network in New York City and Boston, and it will enable new strategic growth opportunities for both airlines, accelerate the replacement of small regional jets with larger aircraft, while greatly expanding the connectivity between each carriers network in the Northeast. American will upgauge aircraft and by the end of 2021 will operate all service out of New York with first class. Starting in the first half of 2021, JetBlue and American schedules in New York and Boston will begin to be aligned to give customers new flight options, with improved schedules, better connections, competitive fares and access to more domestic and international destinations.
  • Expanded service in the Northeast
    As part of the alliance, JetBlue plans to significantly expand its service at New York LaGuardia Airport (LGA), as well as further expand in other NYC airports and in Boston. The alliance will also allow JetBlue to reactivate aircraft that would otherwise sit idle. An expanded operation at LaGuardia further advances JetBlues position as New Yorks Hometown Airline and accelerates the airlines ability to recover.

As previously announced, American is introducing brand new service on from New York (JFK) to Tel Aviv (TLV) and Athens (ATH). Americans loyal customers in New York will be introduced to their first long-haul international service in more than four years, with even more new routes on the way.
  • Codeshare agreement
    Starting later this quarter, JetBlue will place its B6 code on a variety of American flights in New York and Boston. Likewise, American will place its AA code on select JetBlue flights also in at New Yorks John F. Kennedy International, LaGuardia (LGA) and Newark Liberty International (EWR) airports, as well as Boston Logan International Airport (BOS). Flights touching New York or Boston from either JetBlue, American or connecting combinations of both will be bookable on jetblue.com and aa.com in the coming weeks. The codeshare will introduce JetBlue customers to more than 60 new routes operated by American and will introduce Americans customers to more than 130 new routes operated by JetBlue.
  • Reciprocal loyalty benefits
    Later this year, customers of both JetBlues TrueBlue and Americans AAdvantage programs will be able to enjoy reciprocal benefits, including the ability to earn and/or redeem points or miles on either carrier making both loyalty program even more valuable. The airlines are also exploring opportunities to recognize JetBlue Mosaic customers and Americans AAdvantage elite members across both airlines. More details will be announced to loyalty program members later this year.

Link to January 12, 2021, AA news release

As of Jan 31st, 2022 - Benefits typically do not show up when managing the booking and will show up when checking in online.

To receive elite benefits add your AAdvantage number at time of purchase, or contact JetBlue customer service to add it after purchase.

JetBlue Basic: AA elites still get free seat selection and a free bag on Blue Basic fares. All passengers are allowed to bring on board a personal item that fits under the seat. However you do not get to bring a free full size carry-on with Blue Basic except when you select an Even More Space seat.

AA Loyalty Points can take a week to post.

AA Link to Benefits page

Print Wikipost

AA & B6 (JetBlue) enhance Partnership: codesharing, coordination, status & earning

Old Feb 3, 2021, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
In the previous agreement, was it possible to redeem AA miles on B6 particularly international flights? Was there an award chart or some revenue thing and vice-versa?

Last edited by UA Fan; Feb 3, 2021 at 11:45 am
Old Feb 14, 2021, 5:38 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
I found something interesting that seems to be in quite of a few of AA's domestic fare rules:

Category 4: Flight Restrictions
THE FARE COMPONENT MUST NOT BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AS
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY B6.
AND
THE FARE COMPONENT MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY AA FLIGHT.
It looks like revenue management is preparing to launch the B6 and AS partnerships at some point.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by VFR
I found something interesting that seems to be in quite of a few of AA's domestic fare rules:

It looks like revenue management is preparing to launch the B6 and AS partnerships at some point.
The AS codeshare partnership never (completely) stopped AFAIK, even when they eliminated earning on non-codeshare flights. Are these rules new? I thought theyve been there all along, though Im no careful student of this sort of fare rules.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 7:04 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by ashill
The AS codeshare partnership never (completely) stopped AFAIK, even when they eliminated earning on non-codeshare flights. Are these rules new? I thought theyve been there all along, though Im no careful student of this sort of fare rules.
The AA* code on AS flights was maintained for certain flights to destinations in Alaska other than ANC. The AS* code on AA flights was maintained on certain flights east of ORD. This is still the case, since the two airlines have not launched their expanded codeshare.

The AA*/B6 restriction seemed to be new to me.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 11:43 am

JetBlue's alliance website suggests that codeshares are going to be pretty limited. From BOS, just ORD, LAX, MIA, JFK, LGA, and DCA. Much more limited than I was hoping.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 11:59 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-j...-idUSKBN2AG2LU

" JetBlue Airways Corp pilots voted to reject a tentative agreement that would have given the airline contractual relief to implement its planned partnership with American Airlines Group Inc,, their union said in a statement on Tuesday."

Back to the drawing board.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-j...-idUSKBN2AG2LU

" JetBlue Airways Corp pilots voted to reject a tentative agreement that would have given the airline contractual relief to implement its planned partnership with American Airlines Group Inc,, their union said in a statement on Tuesday."

Back to the drawing board.
I think they voted it down due to language in the agreement that they could replace a lot of B6's Northeast regional routes operated by the E190 (and possibly future A220) with American Eagle service.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by FlyEndeavorAir
I think they voted it down due to language in the agreement that they could replace a lot of B6's Northeast regional routes operated by the E190 (and possibly future A220) with American Eagle service.
The LOA seek relaxation of scope in 2 areas:
- allow 100% of non-caribbean international routes to be B6 codeshare of AA metal
- allow 35% of focus to focus city routes to be codeshare of AA or Eagle metal.

there were apparently some revenue sharing stuff in there too which I don't understand.

JetBlue is still allowed to put its codeshares on AA flights that are not to focus cities.

I don't see why AA would suddenly start flying B6 focus city to focus city routes that it was not doing before. But JetBlue pilots are guarding against that.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Bobberjet
JetBlue's alliance website suggests that codeshares are going to be pretty limited. From BOS, just ORD, LAX, MIA, JFK, LGA, and DCA. Much more limited than I was hoping.
Per VFTW, reportedly the full codeshare is intended to eventually be quite a bigger: from BOS, ATL, BNA, BUF, BWI, CLE, DEN, DTW, IAH JAX, JFK, LAX, MCO, MSP, PBI, PIT, RIC, RSV, SAV, SEA, SFO, SLC, TPA all on B6, and DCA, JFK, LAX, LGA, MIA, ORD on AA. Selfishly, that maps onto my 'normal' flying much better, so an encouraging datapoint pending further implementation kinks (pilots' union, timing, ability to buy certain nonstop routes as codeshares).
Old Feb 21, 2021, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Bobberjet
Per VFTW, reportedly the full codeshare is intended to eventually be quite a bigger: from BOS, ATL, BNA, BUF, BWI, CLE, DEN, DTW, IAH JAX, JFK, LAX, MCO, MSP, PBI, PIT, RIC, RSV, SAV, SEA, SFO, SLC, TPA all on B6, and DCA, JFK, LAX, LGA, MIA, ORD on AA. Selfishly, that maps onto my 'normal' flying much better, so an encouraging datapoint pending further implementation kinks (pilots' union, timing, ability to buy certain nonstop routes as codeshares).
Just did a quick search for a dummy booking, BOS-MSP on a random date in May, and found B6's three daily departures bookable through AA at the Blue fare price (essentially 'Main Cabin'- $35/leg more than B6's Blue Basic fare class). MSP wasn't part of the original announcement, but was part of this "internal document" VFTW reported on, so potentially the codeshare is further along than we'd understood? Also interesting to see AA lists the fare class as "O." Based on how codeshares are treated with other partners (Alaska, Hawaiian), this would likely be governed by the American accrual chart, so full RDM/EQM earning. There does not seem to be an option to book codeshare flights with AA miles (yet).
Old Feb 22, 2021, 7:15 am

I'm Platinum on AA. Will i be upgraded to Mosaic on B6?
Old Feb 22, 2021, 8:04 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by mishugana
I'm Platinum on AA. Will i be upgraded to Mosaic on B6?
No. They are talking of offering some reciprocal benefits for elites from the partner program, when flying on the other airline, but nothing concrete has been announced yet.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by dw
No. They are talking of offering some reciprocal benefits for elites from the partner program, when flying on the other airline, but nothing concrete has been announced yet.
And B6 hasn't historically upgraded elites (or had a two-class cabin) the same way legacy carriers have.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 11:34 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by dw
And presumably it will be like every other partnership, where you get some of the benefits of the partner elite status (Mosaic in this case), but you retain only your AA elite status. Just like AA Platinums don't become BA Silver, they just get some of the benefits BA Silvers enjoy.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 2:14 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I'm curious whether there are plans to allow us to buy AA coded tickets in Mint? I'm seeing AA coded, B6 operated flights on, for example, JFK-SFO and BOS-LAX, but only coach fares are being sold as codeshares. I'd love to try Mint, but if there are AA metal options on the same route, for the time being I'd rather fly on AA to get the EDMs/EQDs, especially given my expected drastically reduced flying this year.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.