Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA & B6 (JetBlue) enhance Partnership: codesharing, coordination, status & earning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2021, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
American Airlines announced a new “strategic partnership” including codesharing on some routes in July 2020. In January 2021, several other enhancements to this partnership were announced, including:

”Important components of the alliance will be introduced starting in the first quarter of 2021 and phased in over the course of the year:

• Seamless customer experience
    With each element of the alliance, customers flying in and out of New York and Boston will enjoy a more seamless experience across both airlines, including the ability to book a single itinerary on either website, access to the alliance’s significant global network, convenient connections, access to loyalty benefits and an improved on-the-ground experience — resulting in a compelling proposition for both leisure and corporate customers.
  • Network alignment in the Northeast
    The alliance will offer customers the largest network in New York City and Boston, and it will enable new strategic growth opportunities for both airlines, accelerate the replacement of small regional jets with larger aircraft, while greatly expanding the connectivity between each carrier’s network in the Northeast. American will upgauge aircraft and by the end of 2021 will operate all service out of New York with first class. Starting in the first half of 2021, JetBlue and American schedules in New York and Boston will begin to be aligned to give customers new flight options, with improved schedules, better connections, competitive fares and access to more domestic and international destinations.
  • Expanded service in the Northeast
    As part of the alliance, JetBlue plans to significantly expand its service at New York LaGuardia Airport (LGA), as well as further expand in other NYC airports and in Boston. The alliance will also allow JetBlue to reactivate aircraft that would otherwise sit idle. An expanded operation at LaGuardia further advances JetBlue’s position as New York’s Hometown Airline® and accelerates the airline’s ability to recover.

As previously announced, American is introducing brand new service on from New York (JFK) to Tel Aviv (TLV) and Athens (ATH). American’s loyal customers in New York will be introduced to their first long-haul international service in more than four years, with even more new routes on the way.
  • Codeshare agreement
    Starting later this quarter, JetBlue will place its B6 code on a variety of American flights in New York and Boston. Likewise, American will place its AA code on select JetBlue flights also in at New York’s John F. Kennedy International, LaGuardia (LGA) and Newark Liberty International (EWR) airports, as well as Boston Logan International Airport (BOS). Flights touching New York or Boston from either JetBlue, American or connecting combinations of both will be bookable on jetblue.com and aa.com in the coming weeks. The codeshare will introduce JetBlue customers to more than 60 new routes operated by American and will introduce American’s customers to more than 130 new routes operated by JetBlue.
  • Reciprocal loyalty benefits
    Later this year, customers of both JetBlue’s TrueBlue and American’s AAdvantage® programs will be able to enjoy reciprocal benefits, including the ability to earn and/or redeem points or miles on either carrier making both loyalty program even more valuable. The airlines are also exploring opportunities to recognize JetBlue Mosaic customers and American’s AAdvantage elite members across both airlines. More details will be announced to loyalty program members later this year.“

Link to January 12, 2021, AA news release

As of Jan 31st, 2022 - Benefits typically do not show up when managing the booking and will show up when checking in online.

To receive elite benefits add your AAdvantage number at time of purchase, or contact JetBlue customer service to add it after purchase.

JetBlue Basic: AA elites still get free seat selection and a free bag on Blue Basic fares. All passengers are allowed to bring on board a personal item that fits under the seat. However you do not get to bring a free full size carry-on with Blue Basic except when you select an Even More Space seat.

AA Loyalty Points can take a week to post.

AA Link to Benefits page

Print Wikipost

AA & B6 (JetBlue) enhance Partnership: codesharing, coordination, status & earning

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2021, 12:14 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by Ishrion
American and JetBlue are moving forward with the partnership...
I sense a potential watering down of coordination with respect to premium routes and elite recognition in the press release vs prior announcements. I believe upgrades were previously mentioned, but now they are "exploring opportunities" to recognize respective elites. No reference to transcon at all in the PR either--perhaps B6's transcon growth ambitions are threatening that area of cooperation.

Perhaps I am stating the obvious, but I think it makes sense that AA will try to retain as much premium/elite market share as it can on its own metal on its most profitable routes, while promoting the B6 flying to its broader FF base and international interline customers and as an add-hoc offering to non-core business/leisure destinations as determined by AA. Letting their best cusomers get too used to flying Mint doesn't make any sense.
GotCalcio4 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 1:32 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
I sense a potential watering down of coordination with respect to premium routes and elite recognition in the press release vs prior announcements. I believe upgrades were previously mentioned, but now they are "exploring opportunities" to recognize respective elites. No reference to transcon at all in the PR either--perhaps B6's transcon growth ambitions are threatening that area of cooperation.

Perhaps I am stating the obvious, but I think it makes sense that AA will try to retain as much premium/elite market share as it can on its own metal on its most profitable routes, while promoting the B6 flying to its broader FF base and international interline customers and as an add-hoc offering to non-core business/leisure destinations as determined by AA. Letting their best cusomers get too used to flying Mint doesn't make any sense.
The CrankyFlyer article that JDiver linked to is great. It does imply towards the end that earning FF miles may likely be limited to BOS/NYC. Now, since a B6 customer might fly BOS-ORD-SLC, I'm not entirely sure how you do that... you could do what AA did with their QF earning chart and provide increased FF earning on certain flights with a minimal baseline on something else. Also: earning on AS flights is not limited to flights to SEA, so the "increased earning" could come in the form of codeshares only being offered in certain markets.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 1:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
American will upgauge aircraft and by the end of 2021 will operate all service out of New York with first class.
I found this piece interesting. Doesn't seem like it would be hard to do, now that the CR2s are gone, aren't the only planes in the fleet without F the ERJ140/145s? I'd be happy to see those go extinct, though I now fear they'll send a bunch to PHL instead...
Old Jan 14, 2021, 1:57 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by VFR
The CrankyFlyer article that JDiver linked to is great.
It is a great read, and the actual agreement linked therein, while dense is worthwile as well. As my prior post lays out, I disagree with Cranky that boosting the experience for elites is the key. If the partnership provides a broad portfolio of destinations for non-elites, AA credit card holders and even retired AA loyalists to earn/burn miles, as well as better combined schedules out of LGA/BOS on "secondary" routes (by AA standards) for AA corporate accounts (who will have to fly AA code to get their corporate pricing), it may be sufficiently successful for AA.

The idea that there will be anything close to metal neutrality from a customer perspective seems more remote than before. In fact there is a temporary/experimental tone to the whole endeavor, which to be fair may have more to do with being in uncharted territory than an expectation it will all come to an end when AA wants to re-assert itself in NYC.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
The idea that there will be anything close to metal neutrality from a customer perspective seems more remote than before. In fact there is a temporary/experimental tone to the whole endeavor, which to be fair may have more to do with being in uncharted territory than an expectation it will all come to an end when AA wants to re-assert itself in NYC.
This. It's too bad, really. I would love to see B6 ultimately join OW. Maybe the government wouldn't allow that, so that's the reason for this limited partnership.

Another random thought is after it's all said and done, some airlines might merge, due to the massive Covid losses.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
The thing I'm wondering about is just how "seamless" this experience can possibly be either at BOS or JFK since AA and B6 operate out of different terminals there with no air-side connection. It'll be interesting to see what happens here.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 9:07 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
The thing I'm wondering about is just how "seamless" this experience can possibly be either at BOS or JFK since AA and B6 operate out of different terminals there with no air-side connection. It'll be interesting to see what happens here.
I believe they were talking about the possibility of an airside bus at BOS/JFK. I believe they plan to colocate at LGA. The BOS B-C connector should be finished by 2022, but AA is on the far side of Terminal B from that.

I'll be happy if B6 is added to the list of airlines that you can use the Admirals Club while flying.
JDiver and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by AsiaTravel2019
This. It's too bad, really. I would love to see B6 ultimately join OW. Maybe the government wouldn't allow that, so that's the reason for this limited partnership.
Pretty confident the government doesn't get a say in which airline joins which alliance, whether Jetblue wants to joing OneWorld, Star, or SkyTeam. That's up to the airline.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by LovePrunes
Pretty confident the government doesn't get a say in which airline joins which alliance, whether Jetblue wants to joing OneWorld, Star, or SkyTeam. That's up to the airline.
Judging by how the FAA micromanaged this strategic partnership, nothing would surprise me.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 9:32 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Judging by how the FAA micromanaged this strategic partnership, nothing would surprise me.
The FAA micromanaged this one? They allowed schedule coordination, something that is very unusual for domestic airlines. See the article by CrankyFlier which @JDiver referred to. That's an awfully hands-off approach; schedule coordination significantly exceeds what non-immunized alliance partners (like AS and AA, as of March 31) are allowed to do.

And I think it makes sense to take a hands-off approach in NYC, where AA and B6 are individually 3rd and 4th (I'm not sure in which order; probably B6 domestically and obviously AA long haul), so letting them join forces to provide a robust 3rd competitor to DL and UA, while it certainly makes sense to prevent them from cooperating (not that I think they asked to anyway) in South Florida, where they're #1 and #2 (I think; not sure where WN fits in, but they're definitely not 3rd and 4th fiddle down there).
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by ashill
The FAA micromanaged this one? They allowed schedule coordination, something that is very unusual for domestic airlines. See the article by CrankyFlier which @JDiver referred to. That's an awfully hands-off approach; schedule coordination significantly exceeds what non-immunized alliance partners (like AS and AA, as of March 31) are allowed to do.

And I think it makes sense to take a hands-off approach in NYC, where AA and B6 are individually 3rd and 4th (I'm not sure in which order; probably B6 domestically and obviously AA long haul), so letting them join forces to provide a robust 3rd competitor to DL and UA, while it certainly makes sense to prevent them from cooperating (not that I think they asked to anyway) in South Florida, where they're #1 and #2 (I think; not sure where WN fits in, but they're definitely not 3rd and 4th fiddle down there).
I read the Cranky flyer article and drew a different conclusion. The great thing about this forum is we can all share!
Old Jan 15, 2021, 10:04 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
I read the Cranky flyer article and drew a different conclusion. The great thing about this forum is we can all share!
I'm just curious in what ways the FAA micromanaged this in comparison to similar cooperation agreements. (I have read Cranky's post but have not read the DOT docket.)
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 2:18 pm

While codeshare routes are mentioned, I haven't seen anything about timetable or specific routes. I assume that's something that will either be announced or become apparent in the next few weeks (agreement goes live at the end of Q1)?
Old Jan 15, 2021, 3:05 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Bobberjet
While codeshare routes are mentioned, I haven't seen anything about timetable or specific routes. I assume that's something that will either be announced or become apparent in the next few weeks (agreement goes live at the end of Q1)?
One of the stories I read (I think the one on cranky?) said something about rationalizing scheduling. So AA/B6 both fly AUS-JFK (or did pre-COVID). If I remember correctly, there were 2 flights that left within minutes of each other. So at least going forward, they should be able to space those flights out over the course of the day. I think AA had 2/day and B6 had 3-4/day AUS-JFK.
Similar will happen if/when AA actually starts AUS-BOS (I think there was only 1 nonstop per day, 6x weekly scheduled on AA). I think B6 had 3-4 AUS-BOS/day.

Who knew that among AA, and now partners AS and B6, I'd have quite a few nonstop options from AUS
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 11:37 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
I just want to know when I don't have to pay for bags on B6. The rest I can take or leave, though EQM/EQD would be nice.
jamflyer and TravelerMSY like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.