Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA & B6 (JetBlue) enhance Partnership: codesharing, coordination, status & earning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2021, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
American Airlines announced a new “strategic partnership” including codesharing on some routes in July 2020. In January 2021, several other enhancements to this partnership were announced, including:

”Important components of the alliance will be introduced starting in the first quarter of 2021 and phased in over the course of the year:

• Seamless customer experience
    With each element of the alliance, customers flying in and out of New York and Boston will enjoy a more seamless experience across both airlines, including the ability to book a single itinerary on either website, access to the alliance’s significant global network, convenient connections, access to loyalty benefits and an improved on-the-ground experience — resulting in a compelling proposition for both leisure and corporate customers.
  • Network alignment in the Northeast
    The alliance will offer customers the largest network in New York City and Boston, and it will enable new strategic growth opportunities for both airlines, accelerate the replacement of small regional jets with larger aircraft, while greatly expanding the connectivity between each carrier’s network in the Northeast. American will upgauge aircraft and by the end of 2021 will operate all service out of New York with first class. Starting in the first half of 2021, JetBlue and American schedules in New York and Boston will begin to be aligned to give customers new flight options, with improved schedules, better connections, competitive fares and access to more domestic and international destinations.
  • Expanded service in the Northeast
    As part of the alliance, JetBlue plans to significantly expand its service at New York LaGuardia Airport (LGA), as well as further expand in other NYC airports and in Boston. The alliance will also allow JetBlue to reactivate aircraft that would otherwise sit idle. An expanded operation at LaGuardia further advances JetBlue’s position as New York’s Hometown Airline® and accelerates the airline’s ability to recover.

As previously announced, American is introducing brand new service on from New York (JFK) to Tel Aviv (TLV) and Athens (ATH). American’s loyal customers in New York will be introduced to their first long-haul international service in more than four years, with even more new routes on the way.
  • Codeshare agreement
    Starting later this quarter, JetBlue will place its B6 code on a variety of American flights in New York and Boston. Likewise, American will place its AA code on select JetBlue flights also in at New York’s John F. Kennedy International, LaGuardia (LGA) and Newark Liberty International (EWR) airports, as well as Boston Logan International Airport (BOS). Flights touching New York or Boston from either JetBlue, American or connecting combinations of both will be bookable on jetblue.com and aa.com in the coming weeks. The codeshare will introduce JetBlue customers to more than 60 new routes operated by American and will introduce American’s customers to more than 130 new routes operated by JetBlue.
  • Reciprocal loyalty benefits
    Later this year, customers of both JetBlue’s TrueBlue and American’s AAdvantage® programs will be able to enjoy reciprocal benefits, including the ability to earn and/or redeem points or miles on either carrier making both loyalty program even more valuable. The airlines are also exploring opportunities to recognize JetBlue Mosaic customers and American’s AAdvantage elite members across both airlines. More details will be announced to loyalty program members later this year.“

Link to January 12, 2021, AA news release

As of Jan 31st, 2022 - Benefits typically do not show up when managing the booking and will show up when checking in online.

To receive elite benefits add your AAdvantage number at time of purchase, or contact JetBlue customer service to add it after purchase.

JetBlue Basic: AA elites still get free seat selection and a free bag on Blue Basic fares. All passengers are allowed to bring on board a personal item that fits under the seat. However you do not get to bring a free full size carry-on with Blue Basic except when you select an Even More Space seat.

AA Loyalty Points can take a week to post.

AA Link to Benefits page

Print Wikipost

AA & B6 (JetBlue) enhance Partnership: codesharing, coordination, status & earning

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2022, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by nk15
Do B6 domestic flights count for the AA 30-segment requirement? Does it matter if they are AA coded?
b6 flight i purchased on b6 website without aa codeshare DID count for my segments. i used my aa number.. took about 6 days to post. i got the proper miles, LPs, and million miler miles for it.
nk15 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 8:49 pm

Do reservations made with an AA credit card on the AA site using a jetblue codeshare flight recieve the free checked bag that is the credit card perk? I have an upcoming reservation and in the emails from JetBlue they state that only a single carron is allowed that must fit under the seat.

Thanks
Old Sep 21, 2022, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by upsidedown
Do reservations made with an AA credit card on the AA site using a jetblue codeshare flight recieve the free checked bag that is the credit card perk? I have an upcoming reservation and in the emails from JetBlue they state that only a single carron is allowed that must fit under the seat.

Thanks
From the terms and conditions of the free-checked-bag benefit with the Citi/AA credit card:

"Eligible Citi® / AAdvantage® primary credit cardmembers may check one bag free of charge when traveling on domestic itineraries marketed and operated by American Airlines, or on itineraries marketed by American Airlines and operated as American Eagle® flights by Envoy Air Inc., Republic Airways Inc., SkyWest Airlines, Inc., Mesa Airlines, Inc., PSA Airlines, Inc., or Piedmont Airlines, Inc. All flights on the itinerary must be domestic flights marketed by American Airlines and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle. This benefit will not be available for travel on codeshare flights booked with an American Airlines flight number but operated by another airline. For the Citi® / AAdvantage® credit card, up to four (4) companions traveling with the eligible primary credit cardmember will also get their first checked bag free of charge if they are listed in the same reservation. Waiver does not apply to overweight or oversized bags. This benefit cannot be combined with any existing AAdvantage® elite program benefits, or with First or Business class benefits, including any waiver of baggage charges. Please see aa.com/baggage for baggage weight and size restrictions. Applicable terms and conditions are subject to change without notice."
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:38 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by SFflyer20
Any tips for getting an EMS seat at the 24-hour mark? AA trip record doesn't have a clickable seating chart, while JetBlue site fails with the message "To change or cancel flights booked with a travel agency, or directly from one of our partner airlines, like American Airlines, please contact them directly." Do I need to call/use the chat?
I was unable to change my seats at check-in ("It's not you. It's us" was the error message) but the Twitter team seems like they will fix it. They want to un-check me in and then have me recheck in with the exit row seats.

It seems like we are going to end up with what we need but the technical side of this experience has been substandard at best. Presumably it's better if you book directly with JetBlue rather than on the AA web site, but then again I originally booked an AA flight at 8 am and got rebooked onto the 6:40 am B6 which I never would have chosen to begin with.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 10:52 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
I was unable to change my seats at check-in ("It's not you. It's us" was the error message) but the Twitter team seems like they will fix it. They want to un-check me in and then have me recheck in with the exit row seats.

It seems like we are going to end up with what we need but the technical side of this experience has been substandard at best. Presumably it's better if you book directly with JetBlue rather than on the AA web site, but then again I originally booked an AA flight at 8 am and got rebooked onto the 6:40 am B6 which I never would have chosen to begin with.
JetBlue website/app seem extremely error-prone, much more so than AA. Even just dealing with strictly JetBlue reservations I've often had errors and issues all over the place. People on the JetBlue forum keep joking about how their IT is a joke.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 12:34 pm

Have there been any reports of AA elite flying on JetBlue **without** an EMS seat who were stopped from bringing a carry-on with their personal item?

My experience and everything I've read has only been about the ability to get on with a carry-on and a personal item with an EMS seat. But in all honesty, when I boarded, it looked like they really didn't care where I was sitting in terms of enforcement of bags
Old Sep 22, 2022, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Apologies if this has been discussed.

Assuming they’re a member, under what circumstances does a B6 passenger have access to the admirals club?

1. If the ticket was booked through AA, do they have access?

2. If originating at JFK, can they clear security at T8 and then take the airside shuttle to T5?

3. If connecting in T5, can they ride the airside shuttle for the sole purpose of accessing the club? (I was told by a low level agent at T5 today that I only could ride the airside shuttle from T5 to T8 if I had a T8 boarding pass. Both of my tickets were booked through AA.)
Old Sep 22, 2022, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
Have there been any reports of AA elite flying on JetBlue **without** an EMS seat who were stopped from bringing a carry-on with their personal item?

My experience and everything I've read has only been about the ability to get on with a carry-on and a personal item with an EMS seat. But in all honesty, when I boarded, it looked like they really didn't care where I was sitting in terms of enforcement of bags
You can bring a carry-on with you as long as you're not on a blue-basic fare. If you don't have an EMS seat, you'll still get priority boarding being AA Elite. If you're on blue basic, you can only bring a bag on board if you're in EMS. Status doesn't matter here, except to the extent that you could get the EMS seat for free at check-in, if one is available.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
You can bring a carry-on with you as long as you're not on a blue-basic fare. If you don't have an EMS seat, you'll still get priority boarding being AA Elite. If you're on blue basic, you can only bring a bag on board if you're in EMS. Status doesn't matter here, except to the extent that you could get the EMS seat for free at check-in, if one is available.
Got it, thanks. I was on a blue basic fare, got an EMS at 24 hours advance of departure, and got on with my personal bag + carry on bag no problem.
was my 1st time flying B6, just trying to figure out if elite status meant you always get a carry on bag even on blue basic. Guess it's a gamble for being able to score EMS. In this case, it worked for me.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Just another note -- we still have not received credit for the B6-ticketed, AA-flown segment JFK-MIA on our flight experience documented upthread.

The AA FF number is clearly shown on AA cardstock on the AA boarding pass. Have no idea why AA cannot get their act together on this situation. It is technically a B6 ticket (prefix 279), but please. AA upgraded (by a harried AAdmirals Club AAngel who knew how complex this was) and boarded us and flew us home.
EdV likes this.

Last edited by fastflyer; Sep 23, 2022 at 8:43 am
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:40 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Got it, thanks. I was on a blue basic fare, got an EMS at 24 hours advance of departure, and got on with my personal bag + carry on bag no problem.
was my 1st time flying B6, just trying to figure out if elite status meant you always get a carry on bag even on blue basic. Guess it's a gamble for being able to score EMS. In this case, it worked for me.

sounds confusing. Maybe they should just simplify this be freezing out any FF # other than B6 on Blue basic fares, so we can be sure of getting screwed
Old Sep 23, 2022, 8:20 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Data point: Flew DEN>JFK... booked main fare on B6 on AA.com (not basic). 24 hours prior got access to EMS and boarding pass showed "AAELITE" as boarding group. I boarded solo as that group and was first to board the plane. 2 free checked bags (one for me, one for companion without AA status). They added Mint bag tags to our bags (although as usual that sort of stuff means nothing as one of our bags came out almost last). Miles posted properly next day to AA account.

Only issue was trying to pick regular seats >24 hours was a true pain. JetBlue app and website kept giving errors and AA site pushed me there. I eventually was able to get either the web or the app (forget which) to give us a seat. The check in on the app worked fine allowing us to upgrade to EMS seats.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 9:37 am

Programs: AA EXP
I ended up having to go through the Twitter team to get EMS seats selected, but was ultimately able to get side-by-side exit row seats on both legs of a recent SFO-JFK round trip. Overall I'd rather stay on an AA flight to be able to select seats at purchase and to avoid the possibility/probability of more technical problems.
GundamWing01 likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by fastflyer
Just another note -- we still have not received credit for the B6-ticketed, AA-flown segment JFK-MIA on our flight experience documented upthread.

The AA FF number is clearly shown on AA cardstock on the AA boarding pass. Have no idea why AA cannot get their act together on this situation. It is technically a B6 ticket (prefix 279), but please. AA upgraded (by a harried AAdmirals Club AAngel who knew how complex this was) and boarded us and flew us home.
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Data point: Flew DEN>JFK... booked main fare on B6 on AA.com (not basic). 24 hours prior got access to EMS and boarding pass showed "AAELITE" as boarding group. I boarded solo as that group and was first to board the plane. 2 free checked bags (one for me, one for companion without AA status). They added Mint bag tags to our bags (although as usual that sort of stuff means nothing as one of our bags came out almost last). Miles posted properly next day to AA account.

Only issue was trying to pick regular seats >24 hours was a true pain. JetBlue app and website kept giving errors and AA site pushed me there. I eventually was able to get either the web or the app (forget which) to give us a seat. The check in on the app worked fine allowing us to upgrade to EMS seats.
I ended up having to go through the Twitter team to get EMS seats selected, but was ultimately able to get side-by-side exit row seats on both legs of a recent SFO-JFK round trip. Overall I'd rather stay on an AA flight to be able to select seats at purchase and to avoid the possibility/probability of more technical problems.
yes. B6 web and app are terrible. totally broken. self service is YMMV which i hate. many phone calls required. furthermore, whenever i book anything via B6 and i try to credit AA, nothing ever posts correctly on AA. i always need to beg for help. so many random segments missing credit. now, i just keep everything separate and pretend no OW alliance exists. that reduces a lot of admin stress. but if you dont have mosaic, i can see why AA elites want those B6 benefits and also credit AA to reduce fragmentation of credits. but its not worth the headache IMHO.
SFflyer20 likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 8:32 pm

I have some B6 travel bank credit I can't really use because I'm in YUL where B6 doesn't fly. But AA does fly here and I do have plenty of chances to fly AA. But apparently you can't use travel bank credit for AA flights even booked through B6. Anyone know any corner cases where this does work despite not being intended to?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.