Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA & B6 (JetBlue) enhance Partnership: codesharing, coordination, status & earning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2021, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
American Airlines announced a new “strategic partnership” including codesharing on some routes in July 2020. In January 2021, several other enhancements to this partnership were announced, including:

”Important components of the alliance will be introduced starting in the first quarter of 2021 and phased in over the course of the year:

• Seamless customer experience
    With each element of the alliance, customers flying in and out of New York and Boston will enjoy a more seamless experience across both airlines, including the ability to book a single itinerary on either website, access to the alliance’s significant global network, convenient connections, access to loyalty benefits and an improved on-the-ground experience — resulting in a compelling proposition for both leisure and corporate customers.
  • Network alignment in the Northeast
    The alliance will offer customers the largest network in New York City and Boston, and it will enable new strategic growth opportunities for both airlines, accelerate the replacement of small regional jets with larger aircraft, while greatly expanding the connectivity between each carrier’s network in the Northeast. American will upgauge aircraft and by the end of 2021 will operate all service out of New York with first class. Starting in the first half of 2021, JetBlue and American schedules in New York and Boston will begin to be aligned to give customers new flight options, with improved schedules, better connections, competitive fares and access to more domestic and international destinations.
  • Expanded service in the Northeast
    As part of the alliance, JetBlue plans to significantly expand its service at New York LaGuardia Airport (LGA), as well as further expand in other NYC airports and in Boston. The alliance will also allow JetBlue to reactivate aircraft that would otherwise sit idle. An expanded operation at LaGuardia further advances JetBlue’s position as New York’s Hometown Airline® and accelerates the airline’s ability to recover.

As previously announced, American is introducing brand new service on from New York (JFK) to Tel Aviv (TLV) and Athens (ATH). American’s loyal customers in New York will be introduced to their first long-haul international service in more than four years, with even more new routes on the way.
  • Codeshare agreement
    Starting later this quarter, JetBlue will place its B6 code on a variety of American flights in New York and Boston. Likewise, American will place its AA code on select JetBlue flights also in at New York’s John F. Kennedy International, LaGuardia (LGA) and Newark Liberty International (EWR) airports, as well as Boston Logan International Airport (BOS). Flights touching New York or Boston from either JetBlue, American or connecting combinations of both will be bookable on jetblue.com and aa.com in the coming weeks. The codeshare will introduce JetBlue customers to more than 60 new routes operated by American and will introduce American’s customers to more than 130 new routes operated by JetBlue.
  • Reciprocal loyalty benefits
    Later this year, customers of both JetBlue’s TrueBlue and American’s AAdvantage® programs will be able to enjoy reciprocal benefits, including the ability to earn and/or redeem points or miles on either carrier making both loyalty program even more valuable. The airlines are also exploring opportunities to recognize JetBlue Mosaic customers and American’s AAdvantage elite members across both airlines. More details will be announced to loyalty program members later this year.“

Link to January 12, 2021, AA news release

As of Jan 31st, 2022 - Benefits typically do not show up when managing the booking and will show up when checking in online.

To receive elite benefits add your AAdvantage number at time of purchase, or contact JetBlue customer service to add it after purchase.

JetBlue Basic: AA elites still get free seat selection and a free bag on Blue Basic fares. All passengers are allowed to bring on board a personal item that fits under the seat. However you do not get to bring a free full size carry-on with Blue Basic except when you select an Even More Space seat.

AA Loyalty Points can take a week to post.

AA Link to Benefits page

Print Wikipost

AA & B6 (JetBlue) enhance Partnership: codesharing, coordination, status & earning

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2022, 10:26 am

Programs: AA PPro
Any experiences with this? I was so happy to find a good mint fare compared to the insane summer travel economy prices that I paid for an EMS seat on the connection without even remembering I was entitled to one at check in for free.

When I checked in my row was full, so I selected an empty row (probably won't last) for giggles and it now said $0, reflecting my Plat Pro status.

After check in I received two emails saying that I had selected a paid option and payment had not gone through so the option was being cancelled (seat selection, baggage, etc).

I went back in to modify the check in and I still have my EMS seat. I am thinking that changing from a paid to a complementary seat freaked out their system. If I am lucky maybe they will refund the selection I paid for. Anyone had that happen?
Old Aug 8, 2022, 10:37 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, UA Silver, HHonors Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by HiAperture
Any experiences with this? I was so happy to find a good mint fare compared to the insane summer travel economy prices that I paid for an EMS seat on the connection without even remembering I was entitled to one at check in for free.

When I checked in my row was full, so I selected an empty row (probably won't last) for giggles and it now said $0, reflecting my Plat Pro status.

After check in I received two emails saying that I had selected a paid option and payment had not gone through so the option was being cancelled (seat selection, baggage, etc).

I went back in to modify the check in and I still have my EMS seat. I am thinking that changing from a paid to a complementary seat freaked out their system. If I am lucky maybe they will refund the selection I paid for. Anyone had that happen?
could you contact JetBlue and request a refund, mentioning that you hadn't realized your AA status granted you the EMS seat anyway, and that it should have been complimentary? worse case, they say no. best case, they refund it, or give a you JetBlue voucher in that amount?
Old Aug 8, 2022, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by HankAAFlyer
could you contact JetBlue and request a refund, mentioning that you hadn't realized your AA status granted you the EMS seat anyway, and that it should have been complimentary? worse case, they say no. best case, they refund it, or give a you JetBlue voucher in that amount?
Oh absolutely, doesn't hurt to ask.

I guess I was equally concerned that I fouled up my check in somehow and will have an issue boarding.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by HiAperture

When did you pay for your EMS seat on the connecting flight? If you did so more than 24 hours before departure, I would not expect any refund from JetBlue, as EMS seats are not free for AAdvantage elites more than 24 hours before departure. AAdvantage elite passengers who want to assure themselves of getting an EMS seat by paying for one more than 24 hours before departure should not get a refund.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
When did you pay for your EMS seat on the connecting flight? If you did so more than 24 hours before departure, I would not expect any refund from JetBlue, as EMS seats are not free for AAdvantage elites more than 24 hours before departure. AAdvantage elite passengers who want to assure themselves of getting an EMS seat by paying for one more than 24 hours before departure should not get a refund.
Correct, I paid for it before 24 hours when it was not free. I do not feel entitled to a refund, I am just seeing if anyone else has gotten a similar email from Jetblue and if they encountered any issues because of it.

If their system happens to refund me (EMS is still less than half full at this point), all the better, I wouldn't have pre-paid if I had remembered the check in perk. I understand the policy is selection for free at T-24 Check in
Old Aug 8, 2022, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA PPro/ 1MM+, Marriott LT Plat
Any updates on things? I am lowly old regular platinum on AA and looking at fares on B6 DFW-BOS for fare reasons and curious about the carry on bags (plus personal item) if we don't get EMS seats and buy Basic Blue seats vs Blue or Blue+ (or whatever its called)

Last edited by geepmaley; Aug 10, 2022 at 2:43 pm
Old Aug 8, 2022, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by FlyFreakquently
No issues with the carry-on.
There wouldn't be, since you were in an EMS seat.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 4:04 pm

Flying Blue Basic as AA Elite

I did a roundtrip with family members on Blue Basic fares over the last couple weeks and wanted to report back.

Pax

Our party included one AA Plat and two AA/B6 plebes.

Booking

We booked the tickets using Chase UR points at travel.chase.com. Pricing was the same as jetblue.com but we could use UR points. My recollection is that Chase's interface didn't allow adding the AA#, so I left the FF# field blank. I had no problem adding the AA# to the reservation when I pulled it up at jetblue.com.

Note that if you have both a B6# and an AA#, you should avoid putting in your B6# as I don't think you can change it to AA online once it's in the reservation (I assume they can do it over the phone). This may also make reservation management a little annoying for AA elites booking for themselves, since the reservation won't show up in "My Trips" if your B6# isn't in there. "

There was no indication at jetblue.com prior to the 24 hour mark that one of the passengers in our record was elite. By all appearances it looked like a regular Blue Basic booking, except that one of our passengers had an AA# instead of a B6#.

Seat Selection

Prior to the 24 hour mark, we could pick seats ("Core" or EMS), but would have to pay for them. I checked multiple times in the hours leading up to the 24 hour mark and (like with OLCI) the switch doesn't seem to flip until exactly 24 hours prior to flight time.

At the 24 hour mark for both flights, I was able to pick any available seat (EMS or Core) for $0 by checking in, or without checking in by going to Manage Trips:Assign Seats. Only about half of the EMS seats were taken on each flight at 24 hours, although all but one of the aisle seats were gone. These were mid-week flights to a leisure destination. Outbound we were able to get 2D and 4EF and had no problem trading 2D for 4D when we boarded. On the return we were able to get 5ABC. Both on the A320.

Luggage

When we checked in we were able to add checked bags at no extra cost. The system allowed us two bags per person (we checked four bags for three people).

If you score an EMS seat, you can bring a personal item and a carryon. If you don't score an EMS seat, you're technically allowed only the personal item, even if you have status. But practically it's not clear to me that they enforce this. I think they do it by boarding group and AA elites (or anyone traveling with them) get to board relatively early in the process (our boarding group said "AA ELITE" rather than one of the A-F letters that most people had). We waited to board last for both of our flights (we'd checked our bags and had no desire to sit on the plane longer than necessary), and didn't see anybody turned away with a carryon. Folks who fly B6 more frequently may have more insight into this.

IRROPS

Our return flight had a bad WX delay. After 4+ hours we were pretty sure it would cancel, so we rebooked on a flight the next day. I didn't get the feeling that we were treated worse for having Blue Basic fares, or treated better for having AA elite status. They seemed to treat everyone the same. They weren't able to get us EMS seats on the rebooked flights, but did manage to get us Core seats together. Our boarding group on the next day's flight was GROUP B instead of AA ELITE. I'm not sure why, although it's possible that our FF#s got dropped from the reservation in the rebooking process (miles still haven't posted for that return flight) and we got Group B because they rebooked us on a full fare? Or maybe AA ELITE only shows up if you have EMS seats?

Conclusion

Booking Blue Basic as an AA elite is a really great deal! While it's annoying to not know whether you're technically allowed a carryon or not, having the ability to check bags for free makes that less of a concern, and the free EMS seats are a fantastic benefit. B6 is also a pleasure to fly with generous legroom even in the Core seats (I'm 6'1" and have flown UA, AA, DL and WN this year, and B6's Core seats are noticeably more comfortable than any of the others), free snacks, free high-speed wifi, and empty precheck security lines.
guv1976, 29Feb and LovePrunes like this.

Last edited by themicah; Aug 12, 2022 at 8:34 am Reason: added title
Old Aug 10, 2022, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by guv1976
This inability for elites to select better seats in coach upon booking seems like a big miss in this alliance.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 12:05 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by nologic
This inability for elites to select better seats in coach upon booking seems like a big miss in this alliance.
JetBlue doesn't even let their own elites select better seats in coach upon booking.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by FlyFreakquently
No issues with the carry-on. Do B6 gate agents even verify who is allowed to bring a carry-on during boarding?
B6's boarding passes have a small "no carryon" notation when traveling in Blue Basic without an EMS assignment. However, I'm yet to see any gate agent enforce this for anyone with "AA Elite" in their boarding passes.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 6:40 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by diburning;[url=tel:34505140
34505140[/url]]JetBlue doesn't even let their own elites select better seats in coach upon booking.
OH…no wonder why the policy the way it is. That’s harsh.
SFflyer20 likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 6:52 am

Programs: AA EXP
Pardon the possibly dumb question, but when you are checking in at T-24 and selecting a seat, are you doing this on the Jet Blue app or the AA app? Taking my first trip with AA/JB next week
Old Aug 11, 2022, 8:27 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Originally Posted by JBox
Pardon the possibly dumb question, but when you are checking in at T-24 and selecting a seat, are you doing this on the Jet Blue app or the AA app? Taking my first trip with AA/JB next week
You always have to check in with the operating carrier, so JetBlue.

Originally Posted by diburning
JetBlue doesn't even let their own elites select better seats in coach upon booking.
Actually they now reimburse Mosaic members points for buying EMS seats with points at the time of booking (up to 200 points).
JBox likes this.

Last edited by Microwave; Aug 11, 2022 at 10:49 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts for readability
Old Aug 11, 2022, 9:47 am
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
I must be screwed up again

A family member made a reservation on B6 for me and the FF number defaulted to my Flying Blue number (no surprise there)

I went into the booking PNR and tried to change it to my elite AA FF number, but it would not let me modify the records.

What am I doing wrong if I open the record using PNR + last name. All it does is display the info without allowing changes??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.