Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA & B6 (JetBlue) enhance Partnership: codesharing, coordination, status & earning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2021, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
American Airlines announced a new “strategic partnership” including codesharing on some routes in July 2020. In January 2021, several other enhancements to this partnership were announced, including:

”Important components of the alliance will be introduced starting in the first quarter of 2021 and phased in over the course of the year:

• Seamless customer experience
    With each element of the alliance, customers flying in and out of New York and Boston will enjoy a more seamless experience across both airlines, including the ability to book a single itinerary on either website, access to the alliance’s significant global network, convenient connections, access to loyalty benefits and an improved on-the-ground experience — resulting in a compelling proposition for both leisure and corporate customers.
  • Network alignment in the Northeast
    The alliance will offer customers the largest network in New York City and Boston, and it will enable new strategic growth opportunities for both airlines, accelerate the replacement of small regional jets with larger aircraft, while greatly expanding the connectivity between each carrier’s network in the Northeast. American will upgauge aircraft and by the end of 2021 will operate all service out of New York with first class. Starting in the first half of 2021, JetBlue and American schedules in New York and Boston will begin to be aligned to give customers new flight options, with improved schedules, better connections, competitive fares and access to more domestic and international destinations.
  • Expanded service in the Northeast
    As part of the alliance, JetBlue plans to significantly expand its service at New York LaGuardia Airport (LGA), as well as further expand in other NYC airports and in Boston. The alliance will also allow JetBlue to reactivate aircraft that would otherwise sit idle. An expanded operation at LaGuardia further advances JetBlue’s position as New York’s Hometown Airline® and accelerates the airline’s ability to recover.

As previously announced, American is introducing brand new service on from New York (JFK) to Tel Aviv (TLV) and Athens (ATH). American’s loyal customers in New York will be introduced to their first long-haul international service in more than four years, with even more new routes on the way.
  • Codeshare agreement
    Starting later this quarter, JetBlue will place its B6 code on a variety of American flights in New York and Boston. Likewise, American will place its AA code on select JetBlue flights also in at New York’s John F. Kennedy International, LaGuardia (LGA) and Newark Liberty International (EWR) airports, as well as Boston Logan International Airport (BOS). Flights touching New York or Boston from either JetBlue, American or connecting combinations of both will be bookable on jetblue.com and aa.com in the coming weeks. The codeshare will introduce JetBlue customers to more than 60 new routes operated by American and will introduce American’s customers to more than 130 new routes operated by JetBlue.
  • Reciprocal loyalty benefits
    Later this year, customers of both JetBlue’s TrueBlue and American’s AAdvantage® programs will be able to enjoy reciprocal benefits, including the ability to earn and/or redeem points or miles on either carrier making both loyalty program even more valuable. The airlines are also exploring opportunities to recognize JetBlue Mosaic customers and American’s AAdvantage elite members across both airlines. More details will be announced to loyalty program members later this year.“

Link to January 12, 2021, AA news release

As of Jan 31st, 2022 - Benefits typically do not show up when managing the booking and will show up when checking in online.

To receive elite benefits add your AAdvantage number at time of purchase, or contact JetBlue customer service to add it after purchase.

JetBlue Basic: AA elites still get free seat selection and a free bag on Blue Basic fares. All passengers are allowed to bring on board a personal item that fits under the seat. However you do not get to bring a free full size carry-on with Blue Basic except when you select an Even More Space seat.

AA Loyalty Points can take a week to post.

AA Link to Benefits page

Print Wikipost

AA & B6 (JetBlue) enhance Partnership: codesharing, coordination, status & earning

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2022, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by miadukes
Trying to book a flight on Jetblue but Basic and wondering is PPro status on american will still yield the elite benefits if you book thru jetblue a basic fare? anyone know? the savings are significant enough compared to same route on american (double)
Originally Posted by brewdog11
Wondering the same. At least from reading past posts, it sounds like benefits become available at check-in within 24 hours. Would be nice to hear some anecdotal evidence of AA benefits carrying over to B6 basic fares...
I'll let you know on Monday as I'm flying DCA-BOS on Blue Basic fare.
JohnDCA, brewdog11 and MsAnnMcD like this.
Old May 6, 2022, 7:10 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976
Why wouldn't it? It's a published benefit on JetBlue's own website:

https://www.jetblue.com/airline-part...rican-airlines
There is nothing on that page about Blue Basic, I have read it before posting.

Originally Posted by brewdog11
Wondering the same. At least from reading past posts, it sounds like benefits become available at check-in within 24 hours. Would be nice to hear some anecdotal evidence of AA benefits carrying over to B6 basic fares...
Yes, I was only able to find one post or well one related chat about it within another thread and someone was able to book seats immediately and someone not. I'm more concerned with the carry on bag.

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
I'll let you know on Monday as I'm flying DCA-BOS on Blue Basic fare.
Thanks, that would be immensely helpful!
Old May 6, 2022, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by miadukes
There is nothing on that page about Blue Basic, I have read it before posting.
That's good news: If Blue Basic fares we're excluded from AAdvantage elite benefits, I would expect that to have been noted.

AAdvantage elite benefits on Blue Basic fares confirmed by this post in the JetBlue forum:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34187526-post8.html
Old May 7, 2022, 9:12 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Delta Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Just flew Blue Basic as AA Exec Plat - got 2 free checked bags + the larger space seats.

Didn’t bring carry on, so don’t know if that is included.

One agent seemed confused about the benefits (and told me NO luggage) but his manager was nearby so everything worked out.
brewdog11 likes this.
Old May 7, 2022, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by lifeisart
Just flew Blue Basic as AA Exec Plat - got 2 free checked bags + the larger space seats.

Didn’t bring carry on, so don’t know if that is included.

One agent seemed confused about the benefits (and told me NO luggage) but his manager was nearby so everything worked out.
Where you able to check in on line or did you have to do it at the checkin counter? Which airport if we may ask?
brewdog11 likes this.

Last edited by IADCAflyer; May 7, 2022 at 9:43 am
Old May 8, 2022, 12:00 pm

OK: T-22 hour update. DCA-BOS. Booked Blue Basic Fare $68 one way (booked about a week ago). Put in AAdvantage FF number at time of booking and JetBlue's system seemed to recognize it. But at booking and at times subsequent to booking, I was unable to book a seat assignment without being charged - from $4.00 to $46.00 for various seats.

At T-24 hours I was able to book a seat online at Jetblue's site including an EMS seat (exit row) without a fee. Just now, I completed checkin online and it alerted me that I was entitled to one carryon bag and one personal bag without a fee. I also tested to see if I could check a bag, and JetBlue's site allowed me the option to check up to two bags for free. A third bag would have incurred $150.00 in fees. Jetblue also recognized my Precheck number. My boarding pass includes both the Precheck checkmark and my boarding group is marked with "AAELTE"

the tl;dr
Booked Blue basic fare as an AA PPRO; could not select seats at booking without a fee; booked seats at T-24 including (EMS) for free; online checkin allowed me to include a carryon, personal item, up to two checked bags, and my TSA number was recognized permitting precheck.

And now the bonus - B6 departs from the middle pier at DCA which means I can visit the Admiral's "B" club....
LovePrunes and VFR like this.
Old May 8, 2022, 4:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
AA showed the seat assignment I had on a B6 flight (booked on AA as an AA codeshare), though after checkin AA switched to showing a different seat assignment (B6 didn't show, nor did I experience, any changes to my seat assignment).
Old May 8, 2022, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
the tl;dr
Booked Blue basic fare as an AA PPRO; could not select seats at booking without a fee; booked seats at T-24 including (EMS) for free; online checkin allowed me to include a carryon, personal item, up to two checked bags, and my TSA number was recognized permitting precheck.
That’s good to hear. Out of curiosity, why did you book B6 over AA? I know the DC-Boston AA schedule has the time gap between 6-10 pm.
Old May 8, 2022, 6:11 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Has anyone tested the ability to visit the Admirals Club on a Jetblue sold / marketed / operated ticket when also traveling under a Jetblue FF number?
Old May 8, 2022, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by ryanbriar
That’s good to hear. Out of curiosity, why did you book B6 over AA? I know the DC-Boston AA schedule has the time gap between 6-10 pm.
#1 AA was $50 higher than B6 in this time frame. The AA flight I could have taken (see #2 below) was about $120 when booked.
#2 I'm connecting to Amtrak at South Station. AA does not have a 1:00 pm departure which is ideally what I needed.
#3 I prefer the E190 to the A319 (2x2 v 3x3).
ryanbriar likes this.
Old May 9, 2022, 1:16 pm

K. Arrived BOS. Painless flight. I was offered the chance to check my bag for free at the checkin counter when I went to get a paper boarding pass. So, the people out front have confirmed my free bag eligibility.

Boarding was with the "elite" B6 fliers. In other words - first.

With my B6 boarding pass I tried to go to the "B" pier Admirals Club. Jetblue's boarding pass bar code does not apparently encapsulate my AA frequent flier number info or AA's system can't read it. I had to show my ID or my Admirals Club card or tell the Admirals Club agent my AA frequent flier number to get in. All good.
Adelphos and VFR like this.
Old May 9, 2022, 1:18 pm

I am curious if I am AA Plat, and my travel companion does not have AA status (hence no frequent flyer number was entered for the travel companion), would both of us still get EMS for free (plus priority boarding) at the time of online checking T-24?

Last edited by uclacolumbiaunc; May 9, 2022 at 1:33 pm
Old May 10, 2022, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
JetBlue Even More Space Benefit fairly limited…

Even More Space seats seem to only be offered to customers at the gate gate. Not even baggage check. The gate agent tonight from DEN-JFK said AA elite are only given a baggage benefit and a DISCOUNT on Even More Space. I said that’s not true particularly accordingly to publicly stated policy please check with a supervisor and she gave me a “I’ve checked with supervisors many times and this is what it is you gate lice” attitude. So I agreed to pay for the upgrade and fight corporate later. She goes to process and says oh it looks like you already paid for it… yea. No. You just don’t know the policy which is not brand new. Is today your first day? Sorry not sorry. Train the staff better. I passive aggressively said thanks and took my new ticket. She was so damn confident and smug until that moment when I was right.
corky, fdog and FAA1996 like this.
Old May 10, 2022, 11:55 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
You should absolutely write to them about this!
FAA1996 and FlyingEgghead like this.
Old May 11, 2022, 6:15 am

Programs: AA EXP/2mm; UA 1k;
I try to check in online 24 hours in advance and typically have managed to snag an EMS seat.

One other feature about B6 i really like (and wish AA would adopt) is the ability to text message with customer service. Super efficient.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.