Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA & B6 (JetBlue) enhance Partnership: codesharing, coordination, status & earning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2021, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
American Airlines announced a new “strategic partnership” including codesharing on some routes in July 2020. In January 2021, several other enhancements to this partnership were announced, including:

”Important components of the alliance will be introduced starting in the first quarter of 2021 and phased in over the course of the year:

• Seamless customer experience
    With each element of the alliance, customers flying in and out of New York and Boston will enjoy a more seamless experience across both airlines, including the ability to book a single itinerary on either website, access to the alliance’s significant global network, convenient connections, access to loyalty benefits and an improved on-the-ground experience — resulting in a compelling proposition for both leisure and corporate customers.
  • Network alignment in the Northeast
    The alliance will offer customers the largest network in New York City and Boston, and it will enable new strategic growth opportunities for both airlines, accelerate the replacement of small regional jets with larger aircraft, while greatly expanding the connectivity between each carrier’s network in the Northeast. American will upgauge aircraft and by the end of 2021 will operate all service out of New York with first class. Starting in the first half of 2021, JetBlue and American schedules in New York and Boston will begin to be aligned to give customers new flight options, with improved schedules, better connections, competitive fares and access to more domestic and international destinations.
  • Expanded service in the Northeast
    As part of the alliance, JetBlue plans to significantly expand its service at New York LaGuardia Airport (LGA), as well as further expand in other NYC airports and in Boston. The alliance will also allow JetBlue to reactivate aircraft that would otherwise sit idle. An expanded operation at LaGuardia further advances JetBlue’s position as New York’s Hometown Airline® and accelerates the airline’s ability to recover.

As previously announced, American is introducing brand new service on from New York (JFK) to Tel Aviv (TLV) and Athens (ATH). American’s loyal customers in New York will be introduced to their first long-haul international service in more than four years, with even more new routes on the way.
  • Codeshare agreement
    Starting later this quarter, JetBlue will place its B6 code on a variety of American flights in New York and Boston. Likewise, American will place its AA code on select JetBlue flights also in at New York’s John F. Kennedy International, LaGuardia (LGA) and Newark Liberty International (EWR) airports, as well as Boston Logan International Airport (BOS). Flights touching New York or Boston from either JetBlue, American or connecting combinations of both will be bookable on jetblue.com and aa.com in the coming weeks. The codeshare will introduce JetBlue customers to more than 60 new routes operated by American and will introduce American’s customers to more than 130 new routes operated by JetBlue.
  • Reciprocal loyalty benefits
    Later this year, customers of both JetBlue’s TrueBlue and American’s AAdvantage® programs will be able to enjoy reciprocal benefits, including the ability to earn and/or redeem points or miles on either carrier making both loyalty program even more valuable. The airlines are also exploring opportunities to recognize JetBlue Mosaic customers and American’s AAdvantage elite members across both airlines. More details will be announced to loyalty program members later this year.“

Link to January 12, 2021, AA news release

As of Jan 31st, 2022 - Benefits typically do not show up when managing the booking and will show up when checking in online.

To receive elite benefits add your AAdvantage number at time of purchase, or contact JetBlue customer service to add it after purchase.

JetBlue Basic: AA elites still get free seat selection and a free bag on Blue Basic fares. All passengers are allowed to bring on board a personal item that fits under the seat. However you do not get to bring a free full size carry-on with Blue Basic except when you select an Even More Space seat.

AA Loyalty Points can take a week to post.

AA Link to Benefits page

Print Wikipost

AA & B6 (JetBlue) enhance Partnership: codesharing, coordination, status & earning

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2022, 6:16 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
I've reached out to the Twitter team and they've advised that AA elites are permitted a carryon on Blue Basic fare . My new problem is that the booking engine doesn't like my AA number and won't let me store it... This will be another job for their Twitter team!
zohyeahz likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 6:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, National Exec, Hertz PC, Nexus
Free checked bag for those traveling w/AA Gold?

Hi folks. AA Gold here looking to fly Jetblue on a B6-coded flight next month with my wife in the same reservation. I know Golds get one free bag when flying B6, but I haven't found anything online confirming that non-elite travelers booked in the same reservation also get a free bag. We'd like to be able to check two bags.

Bonus question: Does anyone know if the Citi AAdvantage Executive card allows one to access an AA club when booked on a B6-coded flight? The T&C doesn't say anything about Jetblue so I take that to mean that I could only get into the Admirals Club of I was booked on Jetblue with an AA-coded flight.
zohyeahz likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 7:16 am

JetBlue and American Introduce Enhanced Perks for Qualifying Loyalty Members Made Possible Through Northeast Alliance
Looks like check-in EMS upgrade is now available for AA status members.
also platinum pro and above will have complementary SDC on JetBlue flights.
Mr. BoH and mikejeep like this.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 7:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by tphuang
JetBlue and American Introduce Enhanced Perks for Qualifying Loyalty Members Made Possible Through Northeast Alliance
This is great news. I wonder if it will work during online check-in or we will have to visit a ticket counter...
Old Mar 23, 2022, 8:03 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
There are still big gaps. Upon seeing this news, I went to the website to see if I could book an upcoming trip and use benefits. All I need is a round trip flight from NYC to MSY with lounge access at both ends that fit into my schedule.

There are no afternoon/evening, nonstop flights on the NYC to MSY leg with lounge access. Most of the flights leave from JFK on JetBlue), and all of the afternoon flights from LGA have stops, which rules out accessing Admirals Club or Centurion Lounge. And I believe there is limited lounge access at MSY too (though I may be able to use a priority pass). United and Delta both offer the required flights.

JetBlue / American desperately need to build a lounge at JFK in Terminal 5 for this to work long term.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 8:26 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by JohnDCA
This is great news. I wonder if it will work during online check-in or we will have to visit a ticket counter...
Hopefully someone on here has a flight leaving tomorrow, and they can report back after checking in today
Old Mar 23, 2022, 9:38 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
When traveling with others, will EMS be available to all in the party (similar to AA now)? Or just the person with AA status?
zohyeahz likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 9:47 am

Curious if EMS and other benefits apply for AA Elites on a Blue Basic fare. I don't see where it says no, but also would not be surprised if that were the case.

Mosaics considering a Blue Basic fare need to be aware of the following:
  • All customers (including Mosaics) are subject to a fee for advance seat selection. You can still choose from remaining seats starting 24 hours before departure for free.
So I'm cautiously optimistic, but wondering how it will play out.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 1:24 pm
dw

Originally Posted by JohnDCA
AA.com has now been updated with this:

Customers can choose JetBlue Even More® Space seats at time of check-in online, at the airport kiosk, or with an airport agent.”
JohnDCA likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
AC access when flying B6 is a huge benefit for me. This will likely open up a bit more options for me within the NE corridor from DCA, which I imagine is the idea.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 6:50 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
If a lot of us elites start flying B6 then it's only a matter of time that AA will want $$ their cut
Old Mar 23, 2022, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
I wish I could be excited about this (looks great on paper) but B6 has been unpleasant in my experience (without the partnership I would not fly them at all.) I really don't want to forego the LPs since I'm behind for the year but I don't know how much more B6 I can handle. The in-flight experience is above average but the ground handling and their ops are just awful.
My latest B6 experience was on a LGA-BOS and B6 closed the doors a full 2 minutes early and didn't let me on (17min before departure). This is the replacement for the shuttle...
Old Mar 23, 2022, 7:47 pm
dw

Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
If a lot of us elites start flying B6 then it's only a matter of time that AA will want $$ their cut
AA is literally handing certain routes over to B6 (the LGA-BOS shuttle being a prime example)… this is all part of the plan
Old Mar 23, 2022, 7:59 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
There is a revenue share on AA/B6 flights that touch BOS and NYC, so AA is still getting their cut.

There is the potential for AA to do some of the NEA flying, likely on routes that have decent domestic first class (recliner) demand or for which jetBlue does not have the correct size airplane (e.g. the 76-seat E175 or 128-seat A319).
Old Mar 23, 2022, 11:02 pm

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by lrdpenn
My latest B6 experience was on a LGA-BOS and B6 closed the doors a full 2 minutes early and didn't let me on (17min before departure). This is the replacement for the shuttle...
I called up the Exec Liaison desk when they announced the NEA and when the shuttle phased out in January to voice serious concerns around exactly this. It was annoying to lose the first class seat and a drink (and legroom up until the announcement), but the operational aspects were what most concerned me.

The ability to move flights, the last minute door closures or being toward / at the top of the standby list when issues arose was a big advantage. All of this applies beyond the shuttle.

I told them that as much as it pains me, I’d rather fly Delta over B6 because I’d have a shot at an upgrade and know that if there are delays, the diamond status will help get me home versus being a generic “AA Elite” on B6.
chrisny2 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.