Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA & B6 (JetBlue) enhance Partnership: codesharing, coordination, status & earning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2021, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
American Airlines announced a new “strategic partnership” including codesharing on some routes in July 2020. In January 2021, several other enhancements to this partnership were announced, including:

”Important components of the alliance will be introduced starting in the first quarter of 2021 and phased in over the course of the year:

• Seamless customer experience
    With each element of the alliance, customers flying in and out of New York and Boston will enjoy a more seamless experience across both airlines, including the ability to book a single itinerary on either website, access to the alliance’s significant global network, convenient connections, access to loyalty benefits and an improved on-the-ground experience — resulting in a compelling proposition for both leisure and corporate customers.
  • Network alignment in the Northeast
    The alliance will offer customers the largest network in New York City and Boston, and it will enable new strategic growth opportunities for both airlines, accelerate the replacement of small regional jets with larger aircraft, while greatly expanding the connectivity between each carrier’s network in the Northeast. American will upgauge aircraft and by the end of 2021 will operate all service out of New York with first class. Starting in the first half of 2021, JetBlue and American schedules in New York and Boston will begin to be aligned to give customers new flight options, with improved schedules, better connections, competitive fares and access to more domestic and international destinations.
  • Expanded service in the Northeast
    As part of the alliance, JetBlue plans to significantly expand its service at New York LaGuardia Airport (LGA), as well as further expand in other NYC airports and in Boston. The alliance will also allow JetBlue to reactivate aircraft that would otherwise sit idle. An expanded operation at LaGuardia further advances JetBlue’s position as New York’s Hometown Airline® and accelerates the airline’s ability to recover.

As previously announced, American is introducing brand new service on from New York (JFK) to Tel Aviv (TLV) and Athens (ATH). American’s loyal customers in New York will be introduced to their first long-haul international service in more than four years, with even more new routes on the way.
  • Codeshare agreement
    Starting later this quarter, JetBlue will place its B6 code on a variety of American flights in New York and Boston. Likewise, American will place its AA code on select JetBlue flights also in at New York’s John F. Kennedy International, LaGuardia (LGA) and Newark Liberty International (EWR) airports, as well as Boston Logan International Airport (BOS). Flights touching New York or Boston from either JetBlue, American or connecting combinations of both will be bookable on jetblue.com and aa.com in the coming weeks. The codeshare will introduce JetBlue customers to more than 60 new routes operated by American and will introduce American’s customers to more than 130 new routes operated by JetBlue.
  • Reciprocal loyalty benefits
    Later this year, customers of both JetBlue’s TrueBlue and American’s AAdvantage® programs will be able to enjoy reciprocal benefits, including the ability to earn and/or redeem points or miles on either carrier making both loyalty program even more valuable. The airlines are also exploring opportunities to recognize JetBlue Mosaic customers and American’s AAdvantage elite members across both airlines. More details will be announced to loyalty program members later this year.“

Link to January 12, 2021, AA news release

As of Jan 31st, 2022 - Benefits typically do not show up when managing the booking and will show up when checking in online.

To receive elite benefits add your AAdvantage number at time of purchase, or contact JetBlue customer service to add it after purchase.

JetBlue Basic: AA elites still get free seat selection and a free bag on Blue Basic fares. All passengers are allowed to bring on board a personal item that fits under the seat. However you do not get to bring a free full size carry-on with Blue Basic except when you select an Even More Space seat.

AA Loyalty Points can take a week to post.

AA Link to Benefits page

Print Wikipost

AA & B6 (JetBlue) enhance Partnership: codesharing, coordination, status & earning

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2021, 6:07 am

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by donotblink
this was a great question…I tweeted them about it, and they said everyone in the same PNR gets the same allowance!!!

Their response seems a bit lax. Will be great to hear real life reports of this soon.

I might also reach out to B6 directly to ask. I doubt AA agents on Twitter really know what’s going on with rules on B6.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 7:18 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
Their response seems a bit lax. Will be great to hear real life reports of this soon.

I might also reach out to B6 directly to ask. I doubt AA agents on Twitter really know what’s going on with rules on B6.
I tried chatting JetBlue and they did not know:

Old Oct 15, 2021, 8:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
I can confirm it works across the reservation. I traveled with 2 companions today and checked in at a podium. I'm EXP, one companion is PPRO, the other is nothing. Boarding passes show "AAELTE" (in the group #, interestingly) for all 3, and bag allowance applied to all 3. Not sure if it would work at the kiosk (presumably it would, but the agent said the benefits "weren't seamless yet").

Unfortunately, the agent wasn't able to confirm that the other travelers' AA#s were even in the system (on the app, the PPRO traveler's AA # wasn't showing anymore). I think this issue is really only problematic when you use JetBlue TravelBank funds to book a ticket, something about that process keeps the funding account's TrueBlue # in the res (the funds for all these tickets came from the PPRO's TravelBank). Other than that, clearing out the TrueBlue # and getting the AA # in the system seems to work fine.

In any event, the free bags saved us both $ and struggle (we probably would have carried more on without the baggage allowance). And it was nice to be able to use the little Mosaic desk at JFK. Progress.
dw likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 8:07 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
I can confirm it works across the reservation. I traveled with 2 companions today and checked in at a podium. I'm EXP, one companion is PPRO, the other is nothing. Boarding passes show "AAELTE" (in the group #, interestingly) for all 3, and bag allowance applied to all 3. Not sure if it would work at the kiosk (presumably it would, but the agent said the benefits "weren't seamless yet").

Unfortunately, the agent wasn't able to confirm that the other travelers' AA#s were even in the system (on the app, the PPRO traveler's AA # wasn't showing anymore). I think this issue is really only problematic when you use JetBlue TravelBank funds to book a ticket, something about that process keeps the funding account's TrueBlue # in the res (the funds for all these tickets came from the PPRO's TravelBank). Other than that, clearing out the TrueBlue # and getting the AA # in the system seems to work fine.

In any event, the free bags saved us both $ and struggle (we probably would have carried more on without the baggage allowance). And it was nice to be able to use the little Mosaic desk at JFK. Progress.
thanks for the report! 🙏🏻 Did you get any info on even more space seats? Is there any chance that as a soft benefit, they’re giving them out to aa elites at the airport?
Old Oct 15, 2021, 8:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by donotblink
thanks for the report! 🙏🏻 Did you get any info on even more space seats? Is there any chance that as a soft benefit, they’re giving them out to aa elites at the airport?
Given the agent's inability to even see whose AA # was in the system, I think a lot of this is going to be YMMV, regardless of who says what on Twitter... "computer says yes" or "computer says no" will control. So no idea, but if Mosaics get EMS on day of travel, it's possible we do too. Not worth the gamble for me though, I bought 3 across in row 2 and it's pretty comfy for coach.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 12:17 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Better to Book on AA or Jetblue?

Hi all,

I am an AA Gold and need to fly NYC - MCO. It appears AA has discontinued the non stops on their metal and only codeshares with B6. With all the hiccups in this burgeoning partnership, it is better to book through the codeshare or through the JetBlue website? Have a TrueBlue number but want to credit to AA.

Thanks!
Old Oct 17, 2021, 8:08 am
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by yeaaa
Hi all,

I am an AA Gold and need to fly NYC - MCO. It appears AA has discontinued the non stops on their metal and only codeshares with B6. With all the hiccups in this burgeoning partnership, it is better to book through the codeshare or through the JetBlue website? Have a TrueBlue number but want to credit to AA.

Thanks!
price the same??

For simplicity I book on the atual carrier and change my FF # when convenient. That way I have more trust in seat assignments and timely notice of flight changes
MSP_Monopoly likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 11:05 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Sorry if this has been asked. If one books Blue Basic, do we get free full-size carry-on as AA Elite (for those who are eligible for free checked bags) or is it only checked bags? I know Mosaic get free full-size carry-on.

Did any travelers who are AA Elite try this (to bring a normal carry-on to the plane)?
Old Oct 25, 2021, 4:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum (LTG), Hilton Gold, United 1K, AA EXP, AS MVP 75K
Jetblue responded to my Twitter inquiry and said that the elite benefits apply to Basic Blue fares.

Originally Posted by rasheed
Sorry if this has been asked. If one books Blue Basic, do we get free full-size carry-on as AA Elite (for those who are eligible for free checked bags) or is it only checked bags? I know Mosaic get free full-size carry-on.

Did any travelers who are AA Elite try this (to bring a normal carry-on to the plane)?
Old Oct 25, 2021, 4:26 pm

the AA news announcements said
"Starting today, AAdvantage elite members will also receive up to two free checked bags when traveling on JetBlue with check-in at JetBlue kiosks, ticket counters or via the JetBlue mobile app. TrueBlue Mosaic members will receive up to two free checked bags when traveling on American with check-in at the ticket counter and, soon, through all check-in channels."

so I think that means you get only checked bags. with blue basic.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 7:25 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by tphuang
the AA news announcements said
"Starting today, AAdvantage elite members will also receive up to two free checked bags when traveling on JetBlue with check-in at JetBlue kiosks, ticket counters or via the JetBlue mobile app. TrueBlue Mosaic members will receive up to two free checked bags when traveling on American with check-in at the ticket counter and, soon, through all check-in channels."

so I think that means you get only checked bags. with blue basic.
My hope is is that they haven't considered this yet. What we need is some forum member trying this out and reporting back
Old Oct 27, 2021, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, JL JGC
I have AA status and a blue basic flight scheduled for next month. I tried calling Jetblue and asking what benefits we get, and the agent I spoke to said that I would get the free checked bags, but not a *carry on* bag. But, she seemed to think that Mosaic members wouldn't get a carry on bag either (that's incorrect AFAIK), and that AA elites would be treated similarly to Mosaic members.

From all the literature that I can find, it says elites on either airline should receive "priority boarding", and that should be enough to get a carry-on bag on a Blue Basic fare.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...es/jetblue.jsp
Priority through the airport at check-in, security and boarding
https://www.jetblue.com/airline-part...rican-airlines
Mosaic and AAdvantage elite members can now enjoy some of their favorite perks on both airlines, including: dedicated check-in desks at the airport, expedited security lanes, priority boarding with dedicated boarding lanes and up to 2 free checked bags.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by rill2503456
I have AA status and a blue basic flight scheduled for next month. I tried calling Jetblue and asking what benefits we get, and the agent I spoke to said that I would get the free checked bags, but not a *carry on* bag. But, she seemed to think that Mosaic members wouldn't get a carry on bag either (that's incorrect AFAIK), and that AA elites would be treated similarly to Mosaic members.

From all the literature that I can find, it says elites on either airline should receive "priority boarding", and that should be enough to get a carry-on bag on a Blue Basic fare.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...es/jetblue.jsp

https://www.jetblue.com/airline-part...rican-airlines
See these recent posts in the JetBlue forum:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33667870-post60.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33671197-post64.html
Old Oct 27, 2021, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Follow up to report that we were indeed able to earn AA miles for B6 flights JFK-AUA//AUA-BOS, although it took 2 rounds with Twitter to make sure that the B6 numbers were really out and the AA numbers were really in.

AUA-BOS was in Mint and earned 3x EQM even though it was (and posted) in "D" class (aa.com lists this at 2x EQM). Not that that will matter for much longer, ha. I'm flying Mint again BOS-LAS in a few weeks. It was honestly a fabulous experience. I kept hoping that I would hate it, but there was nothing to hate (admittedly, I had PP lounge access at AUA; I might reconsider on a trip where I would miss the lounge access, but BOS-LAS is 7:40am so no need). FAs were wonderful, the throne seat was spacious (I wouldn't fly in the 2-by-2's, I don't like crawling over people), FAs left handwritten thank you notes, and the food was seriously outstanding and there was a ton of it, not some 3 puny tapas like I'd seen reports of.
donotblink likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 12:14 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by yeaaa
Hi all,

Thanks!
Welcome to FlyterTalk, yeaaa!

FWIW, my AA codeshare flight on B6 posted the same day of the flight. Others had reported issues where they have both TrueBlue and AAdvantage accounts, and it was difficult to untangle (but not impossible) when B6 automatically posted the flight credit to TrueBlue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.