Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA & B6 (JetBlue) enhance Partnership: codesharing, coordination, status & earning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2021, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
American Airlines announced a new “strategic partnership” including codesharing on some routes in July 2020. In January 2021, several other enhancements to this partnership were announced, including:

”Important components of the alliance will be introduced starting in the first quarter of 2021 and phased in over the course of the year:

• Seamless customer experience
    With each element of the alliance, customers flying in and out of New York and Boston will enjoy a more seamless experience across both airlines, including the ability to book a single itinerary on either website, access to the alliance’s significant global network, convenient connections, access to loyalty benefits and an improved on-the-ground experience — resulting in a compelling proposition for both leisure and corporate customers.
  • Network alignment in the Northeast
    The alliance will offer customers the largest network in New York City and Boston, and it will enable new strategic growth opportunities for both airlines, accelerate the replacement of small regional jets with larger aircraft, while greatly expanding the connectivity between each carrier’s network in the Northeast. American will upgauge aircraft and by the end of 2021 will operate all service out of New York with first class. Starting in the first half of 2021, JetBlue and American schedules in New York and Boston will begin to be aligned to give customers new flight options, with improved schedules, better connections, competitive fares and access to more domestic and international destinations.
  • Expanded service in the Northeast
    As part of the alliance, JetBlue plans to significantly expand its service at New York LaGuardia Airport (LGA), as well as further expand in other NYC airports and in Boston. The alliance will also allow JetBlue to reactivate aircraft that would otherwise sit idle. An expanded operation at LaGuardia further advances JetBlue’s position as New York’s Hometown Airline® and accelerates the airline’s ability to recover.

As previously announced, American is introducing brand new service on from New York (JFK) to Tel Aviv (TLV) and Athens (ATH). American’s loyal customers in New York will be introduced to their first long-haul international service in more than four years, with even more new routes on the way.
  • Codeshare agreement
    Starting later this quarter, JetBlue will place its B6 code on a variety of American flights in New York and Boston. Likewise, American will place its AA code on select JetBlue flights also in at New York’s John F. Kennedy International, LaGuardia (LGA) and Newark Liberty International (EWR) airports, as well as Boston Logan International Airport (BOS). Flights touching New York or Boston from either JetBlue, American or connecting combinations of both will be bookable on jetblue.com and aa.com in the coming weeks. The codeshare will introduce JetBlue customers to more than 60 new routes operated by American and will introduce American’s customers to more than 130 new routes operated by JetBlue.
  • Reciprocal loyalty benefits
    Later this year, customers of both JetBlue’s TrueBlue and American’s AAdvantage® programs will be able to enjoy reciprocal benefits, including the ability to earn and/or redeem points or miles on either carrier making both loyalty program even more valuable. The airlines are also exploring opportunities to recognize JetBlue Mosaic customers and American’s AAdvantage elite members across both airlines. More details will be announced to loyalty program members later this year.“

Link to January 12, 2021, AA news release

As of Jan 31st, 2022 - Benefits typically do not show up when managing the booking and will show up when checking in online.

To receive elite benefits add your AAdvantage number at time of purchase, or contact JetBlue customer service to add it after purchase.

JetBlue Basic: AA elites still get free seat selection and a free bag on Blue Basic fares. All passengers are allowed to bring on board a personal item that fits under the seat. However you do not get to bring a free full size carry-on with Blue Basic except when you select an Even More Space seat.

AA Loyalty Points can take a week to post.

AA Link to Benefits page

Print Wikipost

AA & B6 (JetBlue) enhance Partnership: codesharing, coordination, status & earning

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2020, 11:10 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by VFR
One of the things in the original filing that had not jumped out at me until it was highlighted in the VFTW post is that the agreement provides for "long-term wet leases involving a substantial number of aircraft"... I imagine this would be B6 planes/crews flying for AA because the B6 cost structure is lower, but I can't puzzle out exactly how that would work yet...
Yeah, that's awfully striking too. Would that be AA wet-leasing Mint planes for transcon service? And the unions would (rightly) have a fit if AA used wet leases to outsource mainline flying to a lower-cost competitor, especially assuming wet least implies a plane painted in AA colors but owned and operated by B6 crew.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 3:24 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by ashill
Yeah, that's awfully striking too. Would that be AA wet-leasing Mint planes for transcon service? And the unions would (rightly) have a fit if AA used wet leases to outsource mainline flying to a lower-cost competitor, especially assuming wet least implies a plane painted in AA colors but owned and operated by B6 crew.
I was under the impression the term "wet lease" means that the lessor provides the crew in addition to providing the airplane. So if B6 wet leases a blue-tailed plane to AA, then it is flown by JetBlue pilots and staffed by JetBlue flight attendants.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA: Exec Plat; AC: 75K; JX: Explorer; HH: Dia; Bonvoy: Gold; Wyndham: Dia
I read that thinking that AA might move some of their regional jets to B6 operation to feed passengers to AA at JFK and other hubs, more so for international feeds.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ramcm7
I read that thinking that AA might move some of their regional jets to B6 operation to feed passengers to AA at JFK and other hubs, more so for international feeds.
They're going to have to figure out a better way of getting passengers from T5 to T8 and vv.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by ramcm7
AA does not operate its regional jets so they cannot wet-lease them to B6. Envoy, PSA and Piedmont are wholly owned so I suppose they could.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by VFR
I was under the impression the term "wet lease" means that the lessor provides the crew in addition to providing the airplane. So if B6 wet leases a blue-tailed plane to AA, then it is flown by JetBlue pilots and staffed by JetBlue flight attendants.
I was assuming that if it's a wet lease it would be long-term enough that they would repaint it, so it would be a B6-owned plane painted with the stripy red, white, and blue tail and operated by B6 cabin and flight crew. Obviously not enough detail to figure out what they're planning, but it sure is surprising.

(That is the meaning of "wet lease", but I don't think the term says anything about how the plane is painted.)
Old Dec 1, 2020, 9:51 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
I think the talk of wet leases was actually blown out of proportion. Going back to the extension filing by the DOT in the docket, I find (bolding mine)

On July 22, 2020, American and JetBlue submitted cooperative agreements, including code-sharing and alliance agreements, to the Department. We are informally reviewing the agreements submitted by the two carriers under 49 U.S.C. 41720. The statute requires such joint venture agreements between major U.S. passenger airlines to be submitted to the Department at least 30 days before the agreements may take effect. Pursuant to 49 U.S.C. 41720(a)(1), this requirement currently covers code-sharing agreements, long-term wet leases involving a substantial number of aircraft, and agreements concerning frequent flyer programs. By publishing a notice in the Federal Register, we may extend the waiting period by up to 150 days in the case of a joint venture agreement with respect to code-sharing and by up to 60 days for other types of agreements. At the end of the waiting period (either the 30-day period or any extended period established by us), the parties are free to implement their agreement unless the Department has taken action. If we determine that the agreements' implementation would constitute an unfair or deceptive practice or unfair method of competition, the Department would issue an order under 49 U.S.C. 41712 and institute a formal enforcement proceeding.
DOT is listing the things that trigger a 49 U.S.C. 41720(a)(1) waiting period, but they do not say that AA/B6 are asking for all of those things.
ashill likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by VFR
I think the talk of wet leases was actually blown out of proportion. Going back to the extension filing by the DOT in the docket, I find (bolding mine)

DOT is listing the things that trigger a 49 U.S.C. 41720(a)(1) waiting period, but they do not say that AA/B6 are asking for all of those things.
Ah, OK. That makes more sense. I really don't understand how wet leases (as opposed to codeshares, even extensive ones) would make sense. And if AA (or B6) wanted to wet lease aircraft, they could do it from anyone; not clear why it would be tied to have to be tied to a big frequent flyer partnership.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 12:43 am
Suspended

Correct me if I'm wrong, didn't AA and B6 already have a partnership in the early 2010's? I seem to recall a press conference with Gerard Arpey and David Barger.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by FlyEndeavorAir
Correct me if I'm wrong, didn't AA and B6 already have a partnership in the early 2010's? I seem to recall a press conference with Gerard Arpey and David Barger.
They did. It was a relatively minimal partnership though.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 8:58 am

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
Did the review period get extended for this?
Old Dec 2, 2020, 9:58 am

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by morrisunc
Current understanding is it had already been extended and the extension expired without comment, which means approval by silence apparently.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by morrisunc
Originally Posted by HiAperture
Current understanding is it had already been extended and the extension expired without comment, which means approval by silence apparently.
Approved by default, apparently, since no objection stopped it. VFTW blog says AA has confirmed this to be true.
https://viewfromthewing.com/dot-appr...ine-to-object/
Old Jan 12, 2021, 12:52 pm

Programs: None
American and JetBlue are moving forward with the partnership: Newsroom - JetBlue and American Airlines Advance Strategic Alliance Following Regulatory Review - American Airlines Group, Inc.

New York JFK to Athens and Tel Aviv will launch this summer. Codeshare flights will commence this quarter of 2021.
JDiver and LovePrunes like this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 11:33 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Ishrion
American and JetBlue are moving forward with the partnership: Newsroom - JetBlue and American Airlines Advance Strategic Alliance Following Regulatory Review - American Airlines Group, Inc.

New York JFK to Athens and Tel Aviv will launch this summer. Codeshare flights will commence this quarter of 2021.
The news release includes:

NEW YORK and FORT WORTH, Texas – JetBlue (NASDAQ: JBLU) and American Airlines Group Inc. (NASDAQ: AAL) today announced their strategic alliance is moving ahead following review by the Department of Transportation (DOT). Both carriers will begin implementing key aspects of this innovative and customer-focused alliance in phases, offering more seamless connectivity and better travel choices on routes to and from New York (JFK, LGA and EWR) and Boston (BOS). The carriers also expect this alliance will accelerate each airline’s recovery from the pandemic as customers are attracted to the expansion of options and enhanced service...

Important components of the alliance will be introduced starting in the first quarter of 2021 and phased in over the course of the year:
  • Seamless customer experience
    With each element of the alliance, customers flying in and out of New York and Boston will enjoy a more seamless experience across both airlines, including the ability to book a single itinerary on either website, access to the alliance’s significant global network, convenient connections, access to loyalty benefits and an improved on-the-ground experience — resulting in a compelling proposition for both leisure and corporate customers.
  • Network alignment in the Northeast
    The alliance will offer customers the largest network in New York City and Boston, and it will enable new strategic growth opportunities for both airlines, accelerate the replacement of small regional jets with larger aircraft, while greatly expanding the connectivity between each carrier’s network in the Northeast. American will upgauge aircraft and by the end of 2021 will operate all service out of New York with first class. Starting in the first half of 2021, JetBlue and American schedules in New York and Boston will begin to be aligned to give customers new flight options, with improved schedules, better connections, competitive fares and access to more domestic and international destinations.
  • Expanded service in the Northeast
    As part of the alliance, JetBlue plans to significantly expand its service at New York LaGuardia Airport (LGA), as well as further expand in other NYC airports and in Boston. The alliance will also allow JetBlue to reactivate aircraft that would otherwise sit idle. An expanded operation at LaGuardia further advances JetBlue’s position as New York’s Hometown Airline® and accelerates the airline’s ability to recover.

As previously announced, American is introducing brand new service on from New York (JFK) to Tel Aviv (TLV) and Athens (ATH). American’s loyal customers in New York will be introduced to their first long-haul international service in more than four years, with even more new routes on the way.
  • Codeshare agreement
    Starting later this quarter, JetBlue will place its B6 code on a variety of American flights in New York and Boston. Likewise, American will place its AA code on select JetBlue flights also in at New York’s John F. Kennedy International, LaGuardia (LGA) and Newark Liberty International (EWR) airports, as well as Boston Logan International Airport (BOS). Flights touching New York or Boston from either JetBlue, American or connecting combinations of both will be bookable on jetblue.com and aa.com in the coming weeks. The codeshare will introduce JetBlue customers to more than 60 new routes operated by American and will introduce American’s customers to more than 130 new routes operated by JetBlue.
  • Reciprocal loyalty benefits
    Later this year, customers of both JetBlue’s TrueBlue and American’s AAdvantage® programs will be able to enjoy reciprocal benefits, including the ability to earn and/or redeem points or miles on either carrier making both loyalty program even more valuable. The airlines are also exploring opportunities to recognize JetBlue Mosaic customers and American’s AAdvantage elite members across both airlines. More details will be announced to loyalty program members later this year.
CrankyFlier also offers an article that highlights certain aspects of this agreement. Link.
VFR likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.