Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA & B6 (JetBlue) enhance Partnership: codesharing, coordination, status & earning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2021, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
American Airlines announced a new “strategic partnership” including codesharing on some routes in July 2020. In January 2021, several other enhancements to this partnership were announced, including:

”Important components of the alliance will be introduced starting in the first quarter of 2021 and phased in over the course of the year:

• Seamless customer experience
    With each element of the alliance, customers flying in and out of New York and Boston will enjoy a more seamless experience across both airlines, including the ability to book a single itinerary on either website, access to the alliance’s significant global network, convenient connections, access to loyalty benefits and an improved on-the-ground experience — resulting in a compelling proposition for both leisure and corporate customers.
  • Network alignment in the Northeast
    The alliance will offer customers the largest network in New York City and Boston, and it will enable new strategic growth opportunities for both airlines, accelerate the replacement of small regional jets with larger aircraft, while greatly expanding the connectivity between each carrier’s network in the Northeast. American will upgauge aircraft and by the end of 2021 will operate all service out of New York with first class. Starting in the first half of 2021, JetBlue and American schedules in New York and Boston will begin to be aligned to give customers new flight options, with improved schedules, better connections, competitive fares and access to more domestic and international destinations.
  • Expanded service in the Northeast
    As part of the alliance, JetBlue plans to significantly expand its service at New York LaGuardia Airport (LGA), as well as further expand in other NYC airports and in Boston. The alliance will also allow JetBlue to reactivate aircraft that would otherwise sit idle. An expanded operation at LaGuardia further advances JetBlue’s position as New York’s Hometown Airline® and accelerates the airline’s ability to recover.

As previously announced, American is introducing brand new service on from New York (JFK) to Tel Aviv (TLV) and Athens (ATH). American’s loyal customers in New York will be introduced to their first long-haul international service in more than four years, with even more new routes on the way.
  • Codeshare agreement
    Starting later this quarter, JetBlue will place its B6 code on a variety of American flights in New York and Boston. Likewise, American will place its AA code on select JetBlue flights also in at New York’s John F. Kennedy International, LaGuardia (LGA) and Newark Liberty International (EWR) airports, as well as Boston Logan International Airport (BOS). Flights touching New York or Boston from either JetBlue, American or connecting combinations of both will be bookable on jetblue.com and aa.com in the coming weeks. The codeshare will introduce JetBlue customers to more than 60 new routes operated by American and will introduce American’s customers to more than 130 new routes operated by JetBlue.
  • Reciprocal loyalty benefits
    Later this year, customers of both JetBlue’s TrueBlue and American’s AAdvantage® programs will be able to enjoy reciprocal benefits, including the ability to earn and/or redeem points or miles on either carrier making both loyalty program even more valuable. The airlines are also exploring opportunities to recognize JetBlue Mosaic customers and American’s AAdvantage elite members across both airlines. More details will be announced to loyalty program members later this year.“

Link to January 12, 2021, AA news release

As of Jan 31st, 2022 - Benefits typically do not show up when managing the booking and will show up when checking in online.

To receive elite benefits add your AAdvantage number at time of purchase, or contact JetBlue customer service to add it after purchase.

JetBlue Basic: AA elites still get free seat selection and a free bag on Blue Basic fares. All passengers are allowed to bring on board a personal item that fits under the seat. However you do not get to bring a free full size carry-on with Blue Basic except when you select an Even More Space seat.

AA Loyalty Points can take a week to post.

AA Link to Benefits page

Print Wikipost

AA & B6 (JetBlue) enhance Partnership: codesharing, coordination, status & earning

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2020, 1:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As with all questions about this deal, it is well worth reading the investor relations presentation posted on both the AA and B6 websites. To the extent that there is clarity, it's in the presentation. If the presentation is unclear, given that it is made to shareholders, that lack of clarity is intentional. Here is what the presentation says.

"JetBlue and American loyalty members will also enjoy new benefits while the carriers are exploring additional premium experiences for customers."
Old Jul 26, 2020, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Often1
As with all questions about this deal, it is well worth reading the investor relations presentation posted on both the AA and B6 websites. To the extent that there is clarity, it's in the presentation. If the presentation is unclear, given that it is made to shareholders, that lack of clarity is intentional. Here is what the presentation says.

"JetBlue and American loyalty members will also enjoy new benefits while the carriers are exploring additional premium experiences for customers."
I see no hint of redeeming AA miles for B6 flights. Is it likely we could see that as an all-partner award?
Old Jul 29, 2020, 8:20 am
Suspended

WHEN will this be implemented? I see no dates mentioned in the press release.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 1:34 am

Any updates on when this will start? Maybe a soft start with miles earning on each other select flights on 1/1 or does that seem too soon given the current environment?
Old Sep 13, 2020, 2:26 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by lunchtime
Any updates on when this will start? Maybe a soft start with miles earning on each other select flights on 1/1 or does that seem too soon given the current environment?
The DOT normally requires a 30 day waiting period for new partnerships between large airlines once notice is filed, to allow for comments from other airlines, interested parties, and the public. For AA and B6, the DOT has exercised its ability to extend the waiting period by 90 days, which will expire on November 19.

So no benefits before late November.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, UA-PS, SkyMiles, Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
jetBlue Partnership

We are supposed to see code shares as well as an ability to earn and redeem miles on B6 at some point in the future. Has anyone heard when this will take place?
Old Nov 5, 2020, 1:45 pm
VFR

The DOT has decided to extend the waiting period before which AA/B6 can implement their codeshare agreement by 90 days. The waiting period now expires November 19, so it is possible we see the partnership start to be implemented by December or January.

See the existing thread on this topic.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 11:42 am

They have agreed to the terms of the ff agreement as per JetBlue's Q3 earnings call. It's all about to DOT on approval now. I guess end of the year in best case scenario.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 12:13 pm
VFR

Originally Posted by tphuang
They have agreed to the terms of the ff agreement as per JetBlue's Q3 earnings call. It's all about to DOT on approval now. I guess end of the year in best case scenario.
I suspect JetBlue may change how their FFP works to make it more attractive for earning on partners, or AA/B6 may have a close enough relationship that they tell each other the price of all of the coupons on their metal and don't have to assign miles based on distance flown.

AA also hasn't implemented their expanded codeshare agreement with AS, and I'm not sure why they are waiting. Maybe everything starts on 1 January?
Old Nov 16, 2020, 5:55 pm
VFR

The DOT-imposed waiting period for AA/B6 to implement their partnership expires on November 19. On November 20, JetBlue's VP of Loyalty is doing a webinar with The Points Guy on how to make the most of their loyalty program.

I think we might see a bunch of details about the partnership come out on the 19th or the 20th, as well as some potentially large changes to TrueBlue regarding earning/redemption on partners.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 1:19 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
If the B6 partnership continues as planned, my only real nagging issue is not being able to land in the eastern time zone from Asia. Seattle is roughly the same for me as LA. Even Dallas adds a ton of extra hours on back to BOS. All that said, being able to go to SFO direct from BOS is a long time coming...
Old Nov 18, 2020, 2:29 pm
VFR

Originally Posted by Score8
If the B6 partnership continues as planned, my only real nagging issue is not being able to land in the eastern time zone from Asia. Seattle is roughly the same for me as LA. Even Dallas adds a ton of extra hours on back to BOS. All that said, being able to go to SFO direct from BOS is a long time coming...
AS has been flying SFO-BOS for a while (since the VX acquisition I think), but the timing of AS flights to BOS has never been great. The B6 partnership should open up a bunch of nonstop options to the west coast.

Is there a reason you don't want to fly the AA codeshares on JL or CX to BOS?
Old Dec 1, 2020, 8:31 am

Programs: None
The American/JetBlue partnership is now approved, simply because the DOT didn't respond for the review period.

AA statement confirming the approval: "The DOT’s review period has expired and we are discussing next steps toward implementation. We are excited to bring our customers more options and an enhanced product in the Northeast.

https://viewfromthewing.com/dot-appr...ine-to-object/
Old Dec 1, 2020, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Ishrion
We are excited to bring our customers more options and an enhanced product in the Northeast.
A frightening use of words...
ExpatExp and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 10:17 am
VFR

Originally Posted by Ishrion
The American/JetBlue partnership is now approved, simply because the DOT didn't respond for the review period.

AA statement confirming the approval: "The DOT’s review period has expired and we are discussing next steps toward implementation. We are excited to bring our customers more options and an enhanced product in the Northeast.

https://viewfromthewing.com/dot-appr...ine-to-object/
I'm a bit surprised they didn't have something ready to go for when they got DOT approval. That said, they have not implemented extensive codesharing on AS flights either. Kind of a split personality to announce these things and then not deliver.

One of the things in the original filing that had not jumped out at me until it was highlighted in the VFTW post is that the agreement provides for "long-term wet leases involving a substantial number of aircraft"... I imagine this would be B6 planes/crews flying for AA because the B6 cost structure is lower, but I can't puzzle out exactly how that would work yet...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.