Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA & B6 (JetBlue) enhance Partnership: codesharing, coordination, status & earning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2021, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
American Airlines announced a new “strategic partnership” including codesharing on some routes in July 2020. In January 2021, several other enhancements to this partnership were announced, including:

”Important components of the alliance will be introduced starting in the first quarter of 2021 and phased in over the course of the year:

• Seamless customer experience
    With each element of the alliance, customers flying in and out of New York and Boston will enjoy a more seamless experience across both airlines, including the ability to book a single itinerary on either website, access to the alliance’s significant global network, convenient connections, access to loyalty benefits and an improved on-the-ground experience — resulting in a compelling proposition for both leisure and corporate customers.
  • Network alignment in the Northeast
    The alliance will offer customers the largest network in New York City and Boston, and it will enable new strategic growth opportunities for both airlines, accelerate the replacement of small regional jets with larger aircraft, while greatly expanding the connectivity between each carrier’s network in the Northeast. American will upgauge aircraft and by the end of 2021 will operate all service out of New York with first class. Starting in the first half of 2021, JetBlue and American schedules in New York and Boston will begin to be aligned to give customers new flight options, with improved schedules, better connections, competitive fares and access to more domestic and international destinations.
  • Expanded service in the Northeast
    As part of the alliance, JetBlue plans to significantly expand its service at New York LaGuardia Airport (LGA), as well as further expand in other NYC airports and in Boston. The alliance will also allow JetBlue to reactivate aircraft that would otherwise sit idle. An expanded operation at LaGuardia further advances JetBlue’s position as New York’s Hometown Airline® and accelerates the airline’s ability to recover.

As previously announced, American is introducing brand new service on from New York (JFK) to Tel Aviv (TLV) and Athens (ATH). American’s loyal customers in New York will be introduced to their first long-haul international service in more than four years, with even more new routes on the way.
  • Codeshare agreement
    Starting later this quarter, JetBlue will place its B6 code on a variety of American flights in New York and Boston. Likewise, American will place its AA code on select JetBlue flights also in at New York’s John F. Kennedy International, LaGuardia (LGA) and Newark Liberty International (EWR) airports, as well as Boston Logan International Airport (BOS). Flights touching New York or Boston from either JetBlue, American or connecting combinations of both will be bookable on jetblue.com and aa.com in the coming weeks. The codeshare will introduce JetBlue customers to more than 60 new routes operated by American and will introduce American’s customers to more than 130 new routes operated by JetBlue.
  • Reciprocal loyalty benefits
    Later this year, customers of both JetBlue’s TrueBlue and American’s AAdvantage® programs will be able to enjoy reciprocal benefits, including the ability to earn and/or redeem points or miles on either carrier making both loyalty program even more valuable. The airlines are also exploring opportunities to recognize JetBlue Mosaic customers and American’s AAdvantage elite members across both airlines. More details will be announced to loyalty program members later this year.“

Link to January 12, 2021, AA news release

As of Jan 31st, 2022 - Benefits typically do not show up when managing the booking and will show up when checking in online.

To receive elite benefits add your AAdvantage number at time of purchase, or contact JetBlue customer service to add it after purchase.

JetBlue Basic: AA elites still get free seat selection and a free bag on Blue Basic fares. All passengers are allowed to bring on board a personal item that fits under the seat. However you do not get to bring a free full size carry-on with Blue Basic except when you select an Even More Space seat.

AA Loyalty Points can take a week to post.

AA Link to Benefits page

Print Wikipost

AA & B6 (JetBlue) enhance Partnership: codesharing, coordination, status & earning

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2021, 6:55 am

Programs: AA EP, HH Diamond, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Originally Posted by VFR
1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.
4. Yes.
5. B6 does not have any lounges. Mint does not provide lounge access. If you wish to clear security twice, you can visit the Admirals Club in T8 since you are a member and on an AA-marketed flight.
6. You will have to call / message / tweet at jetBlue to get a seat assignment. Some seats in Y cost extra; Mint Suites on new aircraft between JFK-LAX cost extra.
7. No status recognition on B6.
8. My recent experience (one data point) has been no OLCI or kiosk check in on an AA codeshare -- you have to talk to someone at the B6 counter. Once they do whatever they do, you can use your phone to get a mobile boarding pass.
9. AA did pass my KTN onto B6 and I did get PreCheck.
10. B6 is serving full meals with glassware in Mint. I don't know about pre-select options.
Thanks very very much. This is super helpful information.

So, it seems, one of the main issue is to get the boarding pass quickly. We have to stand in the general pax line to check-in, which could potentially be very long in this summer. Then there is the seat assignment issue. Other than that, this is a good option.
Old May 22, 2021, 9:14 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by Tintin
Thanks very very much. This is super helpful information.

So, it seems, one of the main issue is to get the boarding pass quickly. We have to stand in the general pax line to check-in, which could potentially be very long in this summer. Then there is the seat assignment issue. Other than that, this is a good option.
Economy on jetBlue is honestly quite nice. I'm still trying to find a cheap way to fly Mint.

My experience in DEN (i.e. a small station) was that we tried to check in at the kiosk, got a "your reservation could not be found" message, went to stand in the normal line, and then the kiosk minder came over to us and said "what's the problem" and brought us up to the bag drop counter.
Old May 25, 2021, 1:41 pm
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold
Originally Posted by upinsmoke
Anybody have experience checking luggage on an AA-code, B6-operated flight? I received an email from JetBlue saying "No checked bags included in your fare". Do we not get checked bags as AA Platinum?
I have the same question and haven't been able to see a direct answer to it. Anybody with this experience who can answer?
Old May 26, 2021, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by EdV
I have the same question and haven't been able to see a direct answer to it. Anybody with this experience who can answer?
Don't these situations always go back to the rules of the operating carrier of the first flight? B6 is not a OW member carrier. So, OW baggage rules do not apply here. (Does an AA EXP member get AA's baggage allowance when they book an AA codeshare operated by TN on LAX-CDG, for example?) They have yet to address this specific matter on either side. But have also stated that in the near future, there will be reciprical FF benefits between AA and B6. One of which should defintely be baggage allowance.
Old May 26, 2021, 4:11 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by EdV
Direct answer here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...age-policy.jsp

Originally Posted by Fanjet
Don't these situations always go back to the rules of the operating carrier of the first flight? B6 is not a OW member carrier. So, OW baggage rules do not apply here. (Does an AA EXP member get AA's baggage allowance when they book an AA codeshare operated by TN on LAX-CDG, for example?) They have yet to address this specific matter on either side.
Agree. Elite baggage benefits only apply on AA-operated or OW-operated, AA-marketed flights. Until B6 is specifically addressed, the standard policy applies.

From link above:

Note that complimentary bags may not apply to codeshare flights on our partners. For details, visit the operating carrier’s website.

Last edited by NYC Flyer; May 26, 2021 at 4:11 am Reason: clarification
Old May 26, 2021, 6:22 am
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold
Originally Posted by Fanjet
Don't these situations always go back to the rules of the operating carrier of the first flight? B6 is not a OW member carrier. So, OW baggage rules do not apply here. (Does an AA EXP member get AA's baggage allowance when they book an AA codeshare operated by TN on LAX-CDG, for example?) They have yet to address this specific matter on either side. But have also stated that in the near future, there will be reciprocal FF benefits between AA and B6. One of which should definitely be baggage allowance.
Agreed and think that is how it works right now but I don't fly a lot of AA codeshares on non OW airlines so was wondering if anyone had direct experience with this since this went into effect. And the only times I have done it I've had full elite baggage policies. This is on me but I just sort of assumed that if I booked an AA codeshare, no matter the airline, it was treated like an AA metal flight in terms of baggage. For instance, I flew LY recently on an AA codeshare and was allowed my full Plat Pro allowance. Same for JL flight sold as AA codeshare.

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
Direct answer here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...age-policy.jsp

Agree. Elite baggage benefits only apply on AA-operated or OW-operated, AA-marketed flights. Until B6 is specifically addressed, the standard policy applies.

From link above:

Note that complimentary bags may not apply to codeshare flights on our partners. For details, visit the operating carrier’s website.
Thank you for the link, though it's not a direct answer and it's as clear as mud for the exact note / disclaimer you pointed out. Nowhere on AA site does it say how codeshares will be handled, they say reference the carrier sites. The carrier sites I just checked (LY, JL, B9) don't have any information on it either so how is one to know without just going and experiencing it personally? "The standard policy applies"? It does, sometimes but not all the time but we can't tell you when so good luck? I do agree that this setup with B9 looks to be heading towards reciprocal benefits but I would just wish they'd standardize it faster.

So back to my original question, does anyone have experience with B9 flight, sold as AA codeshare and bags?
Old May 26, 2021, 7:12 am

JetBlue Delivers New Customer Benefits Under Northeast Alliance With Ability to Earn TrueBlue Loyalty Points on American Airlines Flights
Looks like you can earn AA miles on all B6 flights and vice versa (with the exception of B6 TATL stuff).
Old May 26, 2021, 7:13 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by EdV
Thank you for the link, though it's not a direct answer and it's as clear as mud for the exact note / disclaimer you pointed out. Nowhere on AA site does it say how codeshares will be handled, they say reference the carrier sites. The carrier sites I just checked (LY, JL, B9) don't have any information on it either so how is one to know without just going and experiencing it personally?
If AA says refer to operating carrier website, and there's no indication on the partner's website that AA elites get waived bag fees, it seems pretty clear to me--the answer is no.

When/if there are reciprocal elite baggage benefits on B6-operated flights, there will undoubtedly be an announcement. AA is not going to pass on the chance for the press, and both carriers' websites will be updated to tout the benefit introduction. Until then, unless a B6 agent bestows a gift of a waived fee (which seems unlikely and case-by-case if granted at all), expect to pay for bags on economy tickets on B6-operated flights.
ashill, TWA884 and VFR like this.
Old May 26, 2021, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by tphuang
with the exception of B6 TATL stuff
Sigh, I suspect this will be the case for mileage redemptions. Was looking forward to another YQ-free TATL partner.
Old May 26, 2021, 8:56 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Noticed OMAAT is saying now all flights on B6 earn AA miles. Checked AA.com to confirm, noted that transatlantic flights operated by JetBlue are not eligible, also basic Econ provides zero EQM, EQD or award miles.
Old May 26, 2021, 9:58 am

Programs: AA, Marriott
I found it interesting that in today's announcement EQD is based on spend rather than distance for B6, exactly like if you flew on AA, but EQD is still distance-based for AS, like it is for the other OW partners. I wonder if it's a OW requirement to calculate it that way, there's some IT limitation that doesn't let AA get the spend information, or the AS and B6 deals are fundamentally different. As a flyer, I'm not even sure one is clearly better than the other.
FlyingEgghead likes this.
Old May 26, 2021, 10:08 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Wayne Kao
I found it interesting that in today's announcement EQD is based on spend rather than distance for B6, exactly like if you flew on AA, but EQD is still distance-based for AS, like it is for the other OW partners. I wonder if it's a OW requirement to calculate it that way, there's some IT limitation that doesn't let AA get the spend information, or the AS and B6 deals are fundamentally different. As a flyer, I'm not even sure one is clearly better than the other.
I've always thought it was an IT limitation. It's not just AA: on all of AA, UA, and DL, partner flights earn by mile rather than by dollar spent (exactly how that's implemented – by ticket or by marketing carrier – varies a bit between them, but I think on all of them flights which are not marketed, ticketed, or operated by AA/UA/DL earn EQD-equivalents based on fare class and mileage, not spend). It may also be commercial: AA and, say, CX, are competitors, so CX may not have much incentive to work out the IT to be able to share their price data with AA for AAdvantage members flying a pure CX itinerary. So this suggests that AA and B6's implementation is different somehow and supports passing the spend information around.
dw likes this.
Old May 26, 2021, 10:39 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by Wayne Kao
Fare information can be a bit sensitive as well, so requiring all of the oneworld airlines to share that with each other could be leaking key business information or anticompetitive. Additionally, not all airlines in an alliance are necessarily on good terms; AA and MH or UL don't have that much overlap to start with.

I wonder if we will see a "Special Fares" or "Fare Details Unavailable" chart for B6 like AA has for itself.
Old May 26, 2021, 11:19 am
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Just tried to add my AA number to a B6 trip on Friday but the agent said it's still not possible, but it will be "soon"
Old May 26, 2021, 12:00 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by S.R
Just tried to add my AA number to a B6 trip on Friday but the agent said it's still not possible, but it will be "soon"
That’s disappointing to hear, since the reciprocal mileage earning is effective as of today. You’d think with all the IT work they’ve had to do to be able to transmit fare details, adding in a AA number should have been a priority.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.