Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Photo Depicts Ted Cruz Not Wearing Mask on AA Flight

Photo Depicts Ted Cruz Not Wearing Mask on AA Flight

Old Jul 14, 2020, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Ted Cruz Refuses to wear mask on AA flight

This tweet has been getting a lot of traction

Ted cruz did not wear a mask for the entire flight duration. One rule for the little people, another for the elite?

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 14, 2020 at 10:43 am Reason: Restore original post title
Old Jul 14, 2020, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
My guess is the flight attendant felt awkward asking him to don it.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
This tweet has been getting a lot of traction
https://twitter.com/aravosis/status/1282678312452665344

Ted cruz did not wear a mask for the entire flight duration. One rule for the little people, another for the elite?
He appears to be drinking a coffee. Is there some kind of proof he actually refused to wear the mask or did some rando snap a pic and put a caption on it?

One does not need to wear a mask if they are eating or drinking per the policy.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 9:44 am

Programs: LX Senator; AF Platinum and Club 2000; AA Platinum for life (former EXP)
Can we get real here. He had the virus and recovered. Therefore he has antibodies and can't infect anybody else. So can the scolds get over this.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfoeuroflyer
Can we get real here. He had the virus and recovered. Therefore he has antibodies and can't infect anybody else. So can the scolds get over this.
in such case perhaps but i dont think he he ever tested positive...
Old Jul 14, 2020, 10:10 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Ive had COVID and recovered and I wear a mask. There is mounting evidence that you can get it again which is a frightening thought and pretty much kills the herd immunity concept.
chrisny2, DC9, hbtr and 4 others like this.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
... Therefore, he probably has antibodies and has build up some short, yet undetermined, period of immunity for his own reinfection.
asnovici likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
While generally assumed to be true, there's been cases of reinfection. Although they think its different strains from what I read/have heard.

Regardless he was drinking, thus was exempt. If you read all the posts by the FB poster, becomes clear they have issue with Cruz.
GTITAN and apeortdz like this.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Nonsense

Having the antibodies means he can't reinfect himself not that he can't infect others.

So called Typhoid Mary was an asymptomatic for typhoid but infected 50+ people of which 3 died.
FAA1996 likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 10:24 am
Original Poster

If you read the OG twitter thread (looks like I accidentally quoted a retweet instead...) there are additional pictures of him queuing to board without the mask. It appears there is indeed evidence it was for the entire flight and not a quick coffee break.

I am not going to express myself about the political opinions of Mr Cruz, but the question here is whether AA are enforcing their rules consistently. If they are enforcing the rule, than surely this should apply to everyone, whether they've had covid or not (i've had it too, thank you). It's one of their promises to reassure flyers.
FAA1996 and Redhead like this.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am not going to express myself about the political opinions of Mr Cruz, but the question here is whether AA are enforcing their rules consistently. If they hare enforcing the rule, than surely this should apply to everyone, whether they've had covid or not (i've had it too, thank you). It's one of their promises to reassure flyers.
AA's policy has been made clear that their staff are there to inform passengers of the mask requirement but they are not there to enforce it.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Right so in other words, they're blowing smoke.

A requirement that is not enforced isn't a requirement, it's a recommendation.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Right so in other words, they're blowing smoke.

A requirement that is not enforced isn't a requirement, it's a recommendation.
I mean, it is what it is. Ironically AA also has a policy of not photographing other passengers on board the aircraft. Seems that one wasn't enforced either.
LovePrunes, apeortdz and RaindropT like this.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 10:40 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
The only verifiable facts include Sen. Cruz was flying on AA while holding a cup of coffee he appears to have brought on board and is not wearing a mask at that moment. As this thread is mostly speculation and about Senator Ted Cruz and not about flying AA or earning or burning miles, it will close.

thank you,

aztimm and jhalapin like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.