FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Fashion preferences of AA customers vs. other airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2020994-fashion-preferences-aa-customers-vs-other-airlines.html)

Delta 764 Jul 4, 2020 10:47 am

Fashion preferences of AA customers vs. other airlines

Looking at the the shopping portals for various airlines, it seems like different airlines award different amount of miles for different stores. For example, AA awards more miles than UA or DL for IZOD. I presume each portal tailors the earnings toward each airline's demographic, but are AA customers really more likely to be IZOD fans than UA or DL customers? Do AA customers really have different fashion preferences than UA or DL customers?

DataPlumber Jul 4, 2020 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Delta 764 (Post 32507451)
Looking at the the shopping portals for various airlines, it seems like different airlines award different amount of miles for different stores. For example, AA awards more miles than UA or DL for IZOD. I presume each portal tailors the earnings toward each airline's demographic, but are AA customers really more likely to be IZOD fans than UA or DL customers? Do AA customers really have different fashion preferences than UA or DL customers?

:rolleyes:
I am guessing there’s a massive population that shops without regard to miles, or maybe I am the outlier. Either way, I think you’re reading waaaaayyy into it

dls25 Jul 4, 2020 12:49 pm

AA has more southern tier/sunbelt hubs (LAX, PHX, DFW, CLT, MIA) than the other legacy carriers plus a heavy presence in the Caribbean/Mexico so its customers are probably more likely to golf, I'm guessing.

AANYC1981 Jul 4, 2020 12:57 pm

I never have and never will buy something from IZOD lol

Delta 764 Jul 4, 2020 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by dls25 (Post 32507695)
AA has more southern tier/sunbelt hubs (LAX, PHX, DFW, CLT, MIA) than the other legacy carriers plus a heavy presence in the Caribbean/Mexico so its customers are probably more likely to golf, I'm guessing.

IZOD isn't very big here in PHX, and I don't think it is very big in LAX/California either. However, I can see IZOD being more popular in the DFW, CLT, and MIA areas (especially MIA). DL has just ATL where I can see IZOD being popular and UA has IAH (even though IZOD is based in NYC).

bmw745ion19s Jul 4, 2020 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981 (Post 32507719)

Back in the day Izod used to have Lacoste. I think Izod was a victim of brand sell offs and is now more aligned as a sears level brand. I don't think there is much info on demographics vs what they offer

Delta 764 Jul 4, 2020 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by bmw745ion19s (Post 32507785)
Back in the day Izod used to have Lacoste. I think Izod was a victim of brand sell offs and is now more aligned as a sears level brand. I don't think there is much info on demographics vs what they offer

IZOD as far as I know was never sold at Sears, but is currently sold mainly at Kohl's, JCPenney, Belk, and Amazon, as well as their own site and the Van Heusen/IZOD outlets. Macy's used to carry the brand until 2018, although you will still occasionally find it at their Backstage stores.

In fact as far as I know PVH no longer sells any of its own brands at Sears after it pulled it's ARROW brand out of Sears stores last year. Some of Sears' private labels might be produced by PVH under license.

flightrisk Jul 4, 2020 1:46 pm

This is not at all how marketing works. If a certain demographic has to be given a bigger reward to shop somewhere, it's because they are less likely to make a purchase and need a bigger incentive. It's marketing speak to call it a "reward" because the true purpose is give customers an extra motivation to make the purchase.

Nobody is giving you more miles/bonuses/discounts than they need to to drive sales.

bmw745ion19s Jul 4, 2020 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Delta 764 (Post 32507830)
IZOD as far as I know was never sold at Sears, but is currently sold mainly at Kohl's, JCPenney, Belk, and Amazon, as well as their own site and the Van Heusen/IZOD outlets. Macy's used to carry the brand until 2018, although you will still occasionally find it at their Backstage stores.

Thank you for the clarification, looks like I was in the right catagory

carlosdca Jul 4, 2020 2:31 pm

NO.
You are reading too much into it.

Also, a lot frequent flyers are NOT into fashion at all.
And those that ARE into fashion, if truly so, are probably not getting their outfit for the next Zoom call from the AA shopping portal.

southlondonphil Jul 4, 2020 2:46 pm

Damn! Thought this thread was going to be a Mr Blackwell-style critique of the AA gate line. :D

EricH Jul 4, 2020 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by southlondonphil (Post 32507959)
Damn! Thought this thread was going to be a Mr Blackwell-style critique of the AA gate line. :D

Or at least about mask styles.

To get to the main issue: the offers you see reflect the deals between the airlines and the retailers. Does IZOD think that they have to offer more to get AA fliers to buy their stuff? Does AA think they can win the business of lots of frequent fliers with a generous offer on IZOD? Or was AA's offer negotiated earlier than those of UA and DL and IZOD got less generous in the interim? We may never know.

beachmouse Jul 4, 2020 6:33 pm

I’m a shopping portal free agent and find that BA often has the best return and Delta often has the worst. When we got our new iPhones last year, it was like 5 Avios per dollar at Apple.com while the US carrier portals were giving 1-2 miles per dollar.

Depending on your programs, the American Express MR option at ebates/Rakuten can also be very lucrative for the right store at the right time and you can pay with any credit card you want to, not just the AnEx you enrolled with, and the MR points credit correctly

cmd320 Jul 4, 2020 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981 (Post 32507719)

I’m actually a little surprised to learn IZOD is still in business.

I’m sure AA will be happy to use them as the next uniform manufacturer. Should happen in another 12-18 months right?

writerguyfl Jul 4, 2020 10:49 pm

All three of the "legacy" airline online shopping portals are run by the same company: Cartera Commerce.

This is complete speculation, but I'd guess that Cartera goes out of their way to ensure that one airline isn't getting a better deal than the other two. Perhaps they accomplish that tenet by spreading around the miles per dollar spent so that each client has a few standout offers in each category.

If someone really cared, they could make a spreadsheet and compare offers across the three sites. That task might show a pattern or it could be a complete waste of time because this Izod example is an outlier.