Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Announces No Seat Blocking Starting July 1 2020

Old Jun 26, 20, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA PPro- LT Gold, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold

Reported on Squawk Box (CNBC) - AA will sell all seats with no seat blocking starting July 1st.
GrumpyYoungMan and James91 like this.
Old Jun 26, 20, 8:07 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
If they see no need to do this, they damn well better offer regular full service on board.
Old Jun 26, 20, 8:26 am

Programs: AA PltPro /1MM
Well, it's not like they were really ever doing this anyway, except maybe one or two seats for FA's .
Old Jun 26, 20, 8:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA MM, Hilton Honors Diamond
Does Southwest do status matches? Asking for a friend...
Old Jun 26, 20, 8:30 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Seabourn DE
The irony of blasting email stating cleanliness protocol on same day they want to load planes. Of course, no mention that social distancing is out.
BearX220, Spiff, Redhead and 5 others like this.
Old Jun 26, 20, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Why are they blowing smoke? They are doing this already! and yes as poster above said they better restore full service but I can almost promise this won't happen for at least another year.

Last edited by enviroian; Jun 26, 20 at 9:34 am
Old Jun 26, 20, 8:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Meh. Social distancing on an airplane is impossible, middle seat blocked or not. What they need to do is be strict about mask-wearing.
Old Jun 26, 20, 8:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by bse118 View Post
Meh. Social distancing on an airplane is impossible, middle seat blocked or not. What they need to do is be strict about mask-wearing.
I presume that anything short of 6' social distancing is optics rather than safety (to some extent). Blocking middle seats is nice for comfort, but I don't have any confidence that it does much for safety.
joeyE and Pupster like this.
Old Jun 26, 20, 9:11 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AS MVP, AA Plat, DL Gold, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I mean considering I was on an oversold flight and ended up with a bump voucher last week I don't see how they can even pretend they weren't selling every seat already.

I guess this helps shatter the illusion that they were "trying".
Old Jun 26, 20, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Developing herd immunity one plane at a time.
Spiff, naswi, Madison Guy and 6 others like this.
Old Jun 26, 20, 10:14 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
USA Today has an article. Link

In part,“As more people continue to travel, customers may notice that flights are booked to capacity starting July 1,'' the airline said in a statement. "American will continue to notify customers and allow them to move to more open flights when available, all without incurring any cost.''

American isn't the first airline to do so. United and Spirit airlines are among the airline's already booking flights to capacity.“
aztimm and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Jun 26, 20, 10:25 am

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Basing on what I’ve experienced in the last month, it seems they’ve completely abandoned the idea of reducing capacity at all. Most flights I’ve been on were full.

Pretty typical of American, say one thing do another.
ITALady likes this.
Old Jun 26, 20, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
"American will continue to notify customers and allow them to move to more open flights when available, all without incurring any cost.''
Yeah they tried this with me yesterday. I"m scheduled to fly to LAS next Thursday. When I got the message to check alternate flights the only (1) flight available was on Wednesday! LOL Ah, yeah not going to work but thanks.
Old Jun 26, 20, 11:12 am

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
Flew LAX-PHX RT yesterday. In F, all seats were taken. NO service whatsoever. All passengers wore masks and appeared to realize that it was for the greater good of all. I get that they want to sell seats and generate income. I get that they are trying to foster safety over service and if that's the case then flights should be even less expensive than they are. Service costs and food items/drinks cost. So pass on the costs. Also, was in LAX Admirals lounge. That's a disaster waiting to happen. Having a hostess seat you. then space you apart and then offer you nothing more than bird food for packaged snacks makes me wonder why anyone would pay for entrance into the club. Since its early in the recovery process I'm sure they will learn and pivot. Imaging rush hour of people trying to get into the club and being told no or it takes forever to get seated. Why???
BearX220 likes this.
Old Jun 26, 20, 11:24 am
Community Director

Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin View Post
I mean considering I was on an oversold flight and ended up with a bump voucher last week I don't see how they can even pretend they weren't selling every seat already.
Bingo. My husband flew SAN-ORD last Friday. Every seat was full.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: