Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Why isn't AA selling coach seats from CDG in September?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2020, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I have AA tickets from JFK to London in late August, returning to JFK from Paris in early September. AA sent me an email saying my flights have been cancelled. When I look at the schedule, a daily flight does exist but, for some reason AA isn't selling one way coach tickets FROM Paris to NYC (tickets are being sold in PE and biz class). They are selling coach tickets TO Paris, though, and selling roundtrip coach tickets from NYC to Paris. Seems quite odd. Any ideas?

I'm trying to decide whether to call AA now to sort this out, or wait a few weeks. Right now, I could simply get a refund, which seems like a good option to have given that I've already had 3 previous trips to Europe cancelled this year and I can't say I have great confidence now that August "will work." If I somehow manage to get this rebooked, I assume I lose the ability to get a refund?
Old Jun 25, 2020, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by iahphx
I have AA tickets from JFK to London in late August, returning to JFK from Paris in early September. AA sent me an email saying my flights have been cancelled. When I look at the schedule, a daily flight does exist but, for some reason AA isn't selling one way coach tickets FROM Paris to NYC (tickets are being sold in PE and biz class). They are selling coach tickets TO Paris, though, and selling roundtrip coach tickets from NYC to Paris. Seems quite odd. Any ideas?

I'm trying to decide whether to call AA now to sort this out, or wait a few weeks. Right now, I could simply get a refund, which seems like a good option to have given that I've already had 3 previous trips to Europe cancelled this year and I can't say I have great confidence now that August "will work." If I somehow manage to get this rebooked, I assume I lose the ability to get a refund?
If you flights change substantially, you can accept them or get a refund. In fact, as the return is FROM Europe, EU 261 gives you more protections against changes
Read EU 261 to see how flight cancellations affect you
Old Jun 26, 2020, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
With so many cancellations, already booked travelers might be on the few remaining flights, selling them out.

Also, the EU is now banning US citizens. That will likely change flight schedules even more.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve

On a random date in September, the oneway CDG-JFK fare in economy is higher than the lowest fare available, which is in PE. No idea why, since they both appear to be unrestricted (fully refundable, etc.).

But one-way international fares are somewhat atypical anyways, and in your case entirely irrelevant.

There's plenty of availability on AA45 in economy throughout September. Just check round-trip CDG-JFK and there's lots of seats in economy for sale.

But yes, once you accept a new itinerary, you wouldn't be entitled to a refund later, unless there is another schedule change.

So if you think there's the slightest chance that you will ultimately want a refund, then I wouldn't call or do anything with the reservation until you're confident you want to travel.
af fp, iahphx and Nephoi like this.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by econ
On a random date in September, the oneway CDG-JFK fare in economy is higher than the lowest fare available, which is in PE. No idea why, since they both appear to be unrestricted (fully refundable, etc.).

But one-way international fares are somewhat atypical anyways, and in your case entirely irrelevant.

There's plenty of availability on AA45 in economy throughout September. Just check round-trip CDG-JFK and there's lots of seats in economy for sale.

But yes, once you accept a new itinerary, you wouldn't be entitled to a refund later, unless there is another schedule change.

So if you think there's the slightest chance that you will ultimately want a refund, then I wouldn't call or do anything with the reservation until you're confident you want to travel.
Yes, this is the issue. There are coach seats available, it's just that the cheaper coach fares all require a roundtrip purchase and the only applicable fares to one-way bookings from CDG are full Y fares which cost more than full W fares. I'd wait a bit to see if AA does in fact pull these flights (which seems likely). EU261 doesn't really provide for anything for flight cancellations more than 2 weeks out. AA will refund for significant changes like this.
roberto99 and iahphx like this.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 4:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I suspect it is unlikely that US citizens will be allowed to enter France in September, so it may be useful to look at returns from the UK. You can always hop over if things change.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'll just do nothing, sit on my cancelled ticket and see what the situation looks like in a few weeks. My hunch in the virus rolling through the USA Sunbelt burns itself out by then and that there will then be a real discussion about opening borders. If not, it will be time for yet another refund!
Old Jun 28, 2020, 10:07 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Have you seen the video of the American traveler in transit and trapped in a French jail at CDG? I didn’t check to see if it was legit but it sure seemed like it and looked like hell.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 3:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Have you seen the video of the American traveler in transit and trapped in a French jail at CDG? I didn’t check to see if it was legit but it sure seemed like it and looked like hell.
We have not. Can you please share a link? Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.