Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Co-terminal changes not allowed on award tickets? (True)

Old Jun 25, 20, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond

Hi all-- I had an award booked DCA-BOS-DOH-BOM for travel next Spring. I noticed this morning that availability appeared on IAD-DOH on my date of travel, so I phoned to get the DCA-BOS-DOH replaced by the nonstop. The agent I spoke with told me that she could make the change, but would levy a $150/ticket fee since I was changing airports. I questioned this, and she went to ask her "help desk," and then came back and said that they would make a one-time special exception. At that point the AA phone system disconnected me with a message saying they were experiencing technical difficulties, and then connected me to a different agent. I told her that we were in the process of reissuing the new tickets, and she also told me that I had to pay the change fee. I told her that I had been given an exception and she went to talk to the help desk again, and then came back and said she was waiving the fee. I'm confused, however, as to why this was considered a change in destination. In the past, I've always found that AA treated the WAS co-terminals (DCA, IAD, BWI) as equivalent;I've changed between them for free quite a few times on paid tickets when a schedule change created issues with my original routing. The AA booking tool also seems to treat them equivalently-- if I enter DCA as an origin or destination, it automatically brings up routings to or from IAD and BWI (and often creates roundtrips leaving from one and returning to another). So i'm wondering- has something changed in the AA rules such that co-terminals are no longer treated as such, or was this a prior rule and I just got lucky with those previous ticket changes? It will be helpful to know before I book another award ticket with a suboptimal routing and then try to get a better routing when seats open up.
Old Jun 25, 20, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by whimsey21 View Post
In the past, I've always found that AA treated the WAS co-terminals (DCA, IAD, BWI) as equivalent;I've changed between them for free quite a few times on paid tickets when a schedule change created issues with my original routing.
I think you answered your own question. Unless I misread your post, there wasn't a schedule change that created issues with your original routing. You wanted a better routing when one opened up, which I've always known to require a change fee.
Old Jun 25, 20, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks-- that makes sense. from your post I realize that I was conflating two things-- the fact that when a schedule change occurred, they let me change to a co-terminal, and the fact that award tickets allow voluntary free routing changes. I mistakenly then assumed that a voluntary routing change would also allow a co-terminal change. Of course, had they been unwilling to waive the change fee, I could presumably have cancelled my award ticket and redeposited the miles for free (I booked two weeks ago under the current free-cancellation policy) and then tried to book the new routing assuming that the DOH-BOM leg was released back into inventory. But I'm glad I didn't have to go there...
Old Jun 26, 20, 9:13 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Thanks-- that makes sense. from your post I realize that I was conflating two things-- the fact that when a schedule change occurred, they let me change to a co-terminal, and the fact that award tickets allow voluntary free routing changes. I mistakenly then assumed that a voluntary routing change would also allow a co-terminal change. Of course, had they been unwilling to waive the change fee, I could presumably have cancelled my award ticket and redeposited the miles for free (I booked two weeks ago under the current free-cancellation policy) and then tried to book the new routing assuming that the DOH-BOM leg was released back into inventory. But I'm glad I didn't have to go there...
The general policy regarding award tickets has been that changes have been free (assuming award availability) as long as the origin and destination remain the same. Changes from one co-terminal to another have incurred a fee, unless cancellations or delays made the original routing impossible.
JDiver and E55 like this.
Old Jun 26, 20, 1:34 pm
E55

Co-Terminal changes were a nice thing. Did AA officially allow? Or just USAir?
Old Jun 26, 20, 1:51 pm

I believe AA allowed before the merger.
Old Jun 26, 20, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JPG3392 View Post
The general policy regarding award tickets has been that changes have been free (assuming award availability) as long as the origin and destination remain the same. Changes from one co-terminal to another have incurred a fee, unless cancellations or delays made the original routing impossible.
Thanks! Looking back, I guess I've only ever done involuntary changes.
JPG3392 likes this.
Old Jun 26, 20, 6:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jmj9905 View Post
I believe AA allowed before the merger.
I don't believe that it did ; in some cases, changing A ->B via C to A -> B or to A -> D -> B was acceptable; changing it from A>-C->B to D->B was not possible, The OP was wanting to change A-C=B to D-B

That the airports A and D are in the same city didn't impact that
Old Jun 26, 20, 7:09 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Hi all-- I had an award booked DCA-BOS-DOH-BOM for travel next Spring. I noticed this morning that availability appeared on IAD-DOH on my date of travel, so I phoned to get the DCA-BOS-DOH replaced by the nonstop. The agent I spoke with told me that she could make the change, but would levy a $150/ticket fee since I was changing airports. I questioned this, and she went to ask her "help desk," and then came back and said that they would make a one-time special exception. At that point the AA phone system disconnected me with a message saying they were experiencing technical difficulties, and then connected me to a different agent. I told her that we were in the process of reissuing the new tickets, and she also told me that I had to pay the change fee. I told her that I had been given an exception and she went to talk to the help desk again, and then came back and said she was waiving the fee. I'm confused, however, as to why this was considered a change in destination. In the past, I've always found that AA treated the WAS co-terminals (DCA, IAD, BWI) as equivalent;I've changed between them for free quite a few times on paid tickets when a schedule change created issues with my original routing. The AA booking tool also seems to treat them equivalently-- if I enter DCA as an origin or destination, it automatically brings up routings to or from IAD and BWI (and often creates roundtrips leaving from one and returning to another). So i'm wondering- has something changed in the AA rules such that co-terminals are no longer treated as such, or was this a prior rule and I just got lucky with those previous ticket changes? It will be helpful to know before I book another award ticket with a suboptimal routing and then try to get a better routing when seats open up.
AAgent is correct. The policy has always been no change fee on connection point(s). Changes to origin/destination airports require a fee.

HKG-SFO-JFK <-> HKG-JFK <-> HKG-DFW-JFK no change fee
HKG-SFO-JFK <-> HKG-DFW-EWR change fee due to JFK becoming EWR.
JPG3392 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: