transcon one way widebodies?

Old Jun 24, 20, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, SPG
transcon one way widebodies?

Got some miles to burn and we are looking for a one way to SAN, and will drive back to JFK over the course of 2 weeks. Aiming to book J/F but any wide bodies serving the route, through DFW or ORD or other airports? WAs just looking for a better F product. Thoughts please?
Auto Enthusiast and JB OmahAA like this.
Old Jun 24, 20, 8:53 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA Plat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Domestic widebodies in SAN were very rare even pre-pandemic. With the retirement of the A332 and A333 fleet, domestic widebodies in general seem to be very limited these days. If it were me, I'd look at flying direct JFK-LAX and then driving to SAN. Probably shorter than a connecting flight, and while not a widebody, it is serviced by the A321T, which has lieflat in J and F (much better product than most domestic F/J, arguably better than some widebodies ).

Last edited by Mr. BoH; Jun 24, 20 at 8:58 am
Old Jun 24, 20, 9:02 am
Original Poster

The a321 sharklets? Thatís lie flat J too?

And considering C19, is there much of a difference in j/f besides lie flat seats?

Last edited by JY1024; Jun 24, 20 at 5:06 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Jun 24, 20, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Originally Posted by the phoenix View Post
And considering C19, is there much of a difference in j/f besides lie flat seats?
Old Jun 24, 20, 10:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
You won't have a neighbor in F. That's worth a systemwide to me right there.
Old Jun 24, 20, 10:53 am

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
The 32B has lie flats. That operates between JFK-LAX/SFO (and sometimes BOS through JFK).

As the poster above said, go JFK-LAX-SAN.
Old Jun 24, 20, 11:04 am

I think service is somewhat limited, there is another thread around that discusses I think. For me, the extra legroom is worth a fair amount on transcon. A good summary of all the American F/J seats is here: https://thepointsguy.com/guide/ameri...-seats-ranked/
Old Jun 24, 20, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
As the poster above said, go JFK-LAX-SAN.
Though depending on when OP is going, I believe LAX-SAN is not currently operating due to schedule reductions, so they may have to drive LAX-SAN. At least it is a nice drive once you get out of LA.
Antarius and KBMIFlyer like this.
Old Jun 24, 20, 11:17 am
Aman Contributor Badge

F is 1-1 so if traveling solo, a plus, especially given the pandemic. Honestly, I find the seat uncomfortably small, given itís essentially a shrunken version of a long-haul J seat used on AA and CX, which can already be a little tight for us taller folks. Flagship lounges and dining are closed so no other real differences

Last edited by Cityflyer10; Jun 24, 20 at 12:17 pm
Old Jun 24, 20, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enviroian View Post

LOL.....actually our kids will LOVE this. And we prefer a nonstop with some decent real estate (room on the plane) on flights greater than 4 hours.

Thanks. I figured I'd ask. In the past we scored J seats on JFK-MIA flights on 777s and done stuff like that. But times they are a changing....

We booked JFK-LAX nonstop in J, (family of 4, w/ 2 tweens), 41K/ticket. This is the fallback to Israel trip postponement. I have 2 weeks so one way to Temecula to see a friend then meander back to NY.
Old Jun 24, 20, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
LOL.....actually our kids will LOVE this. And we prefer a nonstop with some decent real estate (room on the plane) on flights greater than 4 hours.

Thanks. I figured I'd ask. In the past we scored J seats on JFK-MIA flights on 777s and done stuff like that. But times they are a changing....

We booked JFK-LAX nonstop in J, (family of 4, w/ 2 tweens), 41K/ticket. This is the fallback to Israel trip postponement. I have 2 weeks so one way to Temecula to see a friend then meander back to NY.
To be fair for transatlantic service the difference between J and F is indeed a bowl of soup in F. LOL
the phoenix and TEBraniff like this.
Old Jun 24, 20, 3:57 pm

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, National EE, Lots of Stupid CCs&The I Am Crazy Enough To Actually Pay For F
Got some miles to burn and we are looking for a one way to SAN, and will drive back to JFK over the course of 2 weeks. Aiming to book J/F but any wide bodies serving the route, through DFW or ORD or other airports? WAs just looking for a better F product. Thoughts please?
since you are open to connections you can go MIA-LAX widebody and then on to SAN, I plan to do this in Sept.
Old Jun 24, 20, 4:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I recently did LGA-MIA-LAX and got the 777 for the longer flight. Great crews too that kept the drinks flowing!

Got to experience our new normal going thru security and that loooooooong walk to the AA D Gates lol.
the phoenix likes this.
Old Jun 24, 20, 5:23 pm

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am

F- yes there is. 2-2 seating vs self-contained 1-1 seating.

Using a SWU/mileage award to confirm a J>F upgrade was an easy decision pre-C19. It's a complete no-brainer today.
Old Jun 24, 20, 9:56 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by bmw745ion19s View Post
since you are open to connections you can go MIA-LAX widebody and then on to SAN, I plan to do this in Sept.
Have your "Plan B" ready. The wide body recently evaporated for the month of August when I last checked.
irishguy28 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: