FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   transcon one way widebodies? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2020332-transcon-one-way-widebodies.html)

the phoenix Jun 24, 2020 8:46 am

transcon one way widebodies?

Got some miles to burn and we are looking for a one way to SAN, and will drive back to JFK over the course of 2 weeks. Aiming to book J/F but any wide bodies serving the route, through DFW or ORD or other airports? WAs just looking for a better F product. Thoughts please?

Mr. BoH Jun 24, 2020 8:53 am

Domestic widebodies in SAN were very rare even pre-pandemic. With the retirement of the A332 and A333 fleet, domestic widebodies in general seem to be very limited these days. If it were me, I'd look at flying direct JFK-LAX and then driving to SAN. Probably shorter than a connecting flight, and while not a widebody, it is serviced by the A321T, which has lieflat in J and F (much better product than most domestic F/J, arguably better than some widebodies ).

the phoenix Jun 24, 2020 9:02 am

The a321 sharklets? That’s lie flat J too?

And considering C19, is there much of a difference in j/f besides lie flat seats?

enviroian Jun 24, 2020 9:55 am

Originally Posted by the phoenix (Post 32481653)
And considering C19, is there much of a difference in j/f besides lie flat seats?

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...cd58e93d75.jpg

Kacee Jun 24, 2020 10:24 am

You won't have a neighbor in F. That's worth a systemwide to me right there.

Antarius Jun 24, 2020 10:53 am

Originally Posted by the phoenix (Post 32481650)

The 32B has lie flats. That operates between JFK-LAX/SFO (and sometimes BOS through JFK).

As the poster above said, go JFK-LAX-SAN.

Mr. BoH Jun 24, 2020 11:04 am

I think service is somewhat limited, there is another thread around that discusses I think. For me, the extra legroom is worth a fair amount on transcon. A good summary of all the American F/J seats is here: https://thepointsguy.com/guide/ameri...-seats-ranked/

Mr. BoH Jun 24, 2020 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 32481942)
As the poster above said, go JFK-LAX-SAN.

Though depending on when OP is going, I believe LAX-SAN is not currently operating due to schedule reductions, so they may have to drive LAX-SAN. At least it is a nice drive once you get out of LA.

Cityflyer10 Jun 24, 2020 11:17 am

F is 1-1 so if traveling solo, a plus, especially given the pandemic. Honestly, I find the seat uncomfortably small, given it’s essentially a shrunken version of a long-haul J seat used on AA and CX, which can already be a little tight for us taller folks. Flagship lounges and dining are closed so no other real differences

the phoenix Jun 24, 2020 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 32481786)

LOL.....actually our kids will LOVE this. And we prefer a nonstop with some decent real estate (room on the plane) on flights greater than 4 hours.

Thanks. I figured I'd ask. In the past we scored J seats on JFK-MIA flights on 777s and done stuff like that. But times they are a changing....

We booked JFK-LAX nonstop in J, (family of 4, w/ 2 tweens), 41K/ticket. This is the fallback to Israel trip postponement. I have 2 weeks so one way to Temecula to see a friend then meander back to NY.

enviroian Jun 24, 2020 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by the phoenix (Post 32482523)
LOL.....actually our kids will LOVE this. And we prefer a nonstop with some decent real estate (room on the plane) on flights greater than 4 hours.

Thanks. I figured I'd ask. In the past we scored J seats on JFK-MIA flights on 777s and done stuff like that. But times they are a changing....

We booked JFK-LAX nonstop in J, (family of 4, w/ 2 tweens), 41K/ticket. This is the fallback to Israel trip postponement. I have 2 weeks so one way to Temecula to see a friend then meander back to NY.

To be fair for transatlantic service the difference between J and F is indeed a bowl of soup in F. LOL

bmw745ion19s Jun 24, 2020 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by the phoenix (Post 32481599)
Got some miles to burn and we are looking for a one way to SAN, and will drive back to JFK over the course of 2 weeks. Aiming to book J/F but any wide bodies serving the route, through DFW or ORD or other airports? WAs just looking for a better F product. Thoughts please?

since you are open to connections you can go MIA-LAX widebody and then on to SAN, I plan to do this in Sept.

AANYC1981 Jun 24, 2020 4:06 pm

I recently did LGA-MIA-LAX and got the 777 for the longer flight. Great crews too that kept the drinks flowing!

Got to experience our new normal going thru security and that loooooooong walk to the AA D Gates lol.

Herb687 Jun 24, 2020 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by the phoenix (Post 32481650)

F- yes there is. 2-2 seating vs self-contained 1-1 seating.

Using a SWU/mileage award to confirm a J>F upgrade was an easy decision pre-C19. It's a complete no-brainer today.

jcatman Jun 24, 2020 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by bmw745ion19s (Post 32482735)
since you are open to connections you can go MIA-LAX widebody and then on to SAN, I plan to do this in Sept.

Have your "Plan B" ready. The wide body recently evaporated for the month of August when I last checked.