Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Cruise cancelled, options for AA flights paid with Chase Sapphire Reserve?

Old Jun 17, 20, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus

My cruise to Canada was cancelled. I have AA reservations paid by Sapp Reserve Cr card back to Ohio. If I cancel the flight, can I
1. get refund from AA or Saph Reserve?

2. Use the credit for fees on a London flight paid using miles (fees apply)?

3. Other? thanks
Old Jun 17, 20, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
what do the T&C's on your card's travel insurance (if any) say?
Old Jun 17, 20, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Most airlines, AA included, have introduced much more lenient change and cancellation policies due to covid. When did you originally book the flights and what are the flight dates? It should be no problem to cancel with AA and at least get a full credit to use on future flights, depending on the scenario you might be able to get a full refund.

If you cancel the flight and get a credit, you definitely cannot use this towards your taxes & fees on an award ticket (so #2 is out of question).

AA Trip Cancellation & Coronavirus: Discussion & Questions
Old Jun 17, 20, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
Thanks for info on being not able to use the credit towards the fees on the award flight planned for trip to London. I thought so, but was not sure.

Guess I will cancel and see what other flights I may take, although usually only use AA for oversea travel.

Will check also with Sapp Reserv card. Thanks again.
Old Jun 17, 20, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
I would call AA first, not Chase. Tell them your cruise was cancelled and you may need to cancel your flights and ask what options you have. Depending on the parameters and agent they may be able to just issue you a full refund.
Spiff, Air Houston and JPG3392 like this.
Old Jun 18, 20, 3:16 am

Maybe you can change dates or destination
Old Jun 18, 20, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by SAPMAN View Post
My cruise to Canada was cancelled. I have AA reservations paid by Sapp Reserve Cr card back to Ohio. If I cancel the flight, can I
1. get refund from AA or Saph Reserve?

2. Use the credit for fees on a London flight paid using miles (fees apply)?

3. Other? thanks
Neither. You won't get a refund. Instead, you will get a benefit payout instead.

Unless you are booked as an entire package, the cancellation of your cruise is no sufficient for you to request refund from AA, unless the flight has been cancelled as well. While you may be able to use the credit at a later time due to current COVID-19 policy, you may be also able to recover the cost of the AA ticket by filing a claim with the Chase's benefit administrator for the trip cancellation insurance.
Old Jun 18, 20, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Unless AA cancels the flight or significantly changes the timings, I doubt you'll get a refund other than what the fare permits. You will probably be given a voucher or equivalent for future travel. Also, as others have said, check the trip insurance policies of the card.
Old Jun 18, 20, 11:40 am

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Unless AA cancels the flight or significantly changes the timings, I doubt you'll get a refund other than what the fare permits. You will probably be given a voucher or equivalent for future travel. Also, as others have said, check the trip insurance policies of the card.
Speaking of flight changes, can OP not call AA right away and hope for a schedule change to get the full refund instead of voucher? Or is there a sort of statute of limitations from when the cruise was cancelled?
Old Jun 18, 20, 3:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Thread title updated to more accurately reflect its contents.

~Moderator
Old Jun 18, 20, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
Speaking of flight changes, can OP not call AA right away and hope for a schedule change to get the full refund instead of voucher? Or is there a sort of statute of limitations from when the cruise was cancelled?
I don't know. But I would work with Chase's benefit administrator first to determine this.
Old Jun 20, 20, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
I would call AA first, not Chase. Tell them your cruise was cancelled and you may need to cancel your flights and ask what options you have. Depending on the parameters and agent they may be able to just issue you a full refund.
If AA refunds the ticket then Chase gets the refund. I'm not sure how that is useful. In addition, Expedia issues tickets for Chase so I'm not sure AA will touch it.
Old Jun 20, 20, 11:46 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by audio-nut View Post
If AA refunds the ticket then Chase gets the refund. I'm not sure how that is useful. In addition, Expedia issues tickets for Chase so I'm not sure AA will touch it.
If the ticket was paid on a credit card directly to AA then the refund goes back to the credit card. If the ticket was paid using Ultimate rewards points the the points get refunded back to the original account. The above scenario only applies if the ticket was purchased through Chase Travel Mall or Expedia.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: