Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Executive Platinum UDU / Complimentary Upgrade Availability Summer 2020?

Executive Platinum UDU / Complimentary Upgrade Availability Summer 2020?

Old Jun 10, 20, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA*G MM, HH Dia, Hyatt Expl, MR Gold, IHG Plat
Are EXPs Mostly Assured of Complimentary Upgrades at the Moment?

I'm considering a trip in late July or early August, for the first time since March. Since AA isn't restricting seats sold, does anyone have data points on EXP complimentary upgrade success in the past couple of weeks? I'll be traveling transcon, such as SFO-PHL or SFO-JFK, and midcon (SFO-ORD), maybe on award tickets. I'm not among the higher revenue EXPs during normal times.

Thanks!

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 11, 20 at 6:37 pm Reason: Restore original post title
Old Jun 10, 20, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG75K, BA Silver, accidental DL FO, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, AmEx PLT
Originally Posted by Explore View Post
I'm considering a trip in late July or early August, for the first time since March. Since AA isn't restricting seats sold, does anyone have data points on EXP complimentary upgrade success in the past couple of weeks? I'll be traveling transcon, such as SFO-PHL or SFO-JFK, and midcon (SFO-ORD), maybe on award tickets. I'm not among the higher revenue EXPs during normal times.

Thanks!
While demand remains way down, AA (and other airlines) have also severely restricted capacity to cut expense, so many flights are full, including J, and there's no guarantee J will be filled with upgrades. On the routes I've checked recently, there are plenty of premium cabins selling out or nearly selling out even prior to the EP upgrade window opening.

Therefore, while certain routes will be easy upgrades, many routes won't be, so upgrades are far from guaranteed. I think certain routes will actually be tougher upgrades for the time being until more flights are added to the schedule.
Old Jun 10, 20, 7:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL GM, AAdvantage EXECPLAT, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Yes.....
Old Jun 11, 20, 4:51 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by metallo View Post
While demand remains way down, AA (and other airlines) have also severely restricted capacity to cut expense, so many flights are full, including J, and there's no guarantee J will be filled with upgrades. On the routes I've checked recently, there are plenty of premium cabins selling out or nearly selling out even prior to the EP upgrade window opening.

Therefore, while certain routes will be easy upgrades, many routes won't be, so upgrades are far from guaranteed. I think certain routes will actually be tougher upgrades for the time being until more flights are added to the schedule.
agreed, until AA gets back to adding more flights... the flights are going out full,... We booked flights for Hawaii in Sept... quite a few of the flights we were looking at , were already full in J,
Old Jun 11, 20, 6:47 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Marriott Ambassador (LT Titanium)
The ExpertFlyer numbers are fudged right now. LAX-MIA J=0 the entire time, yet T-24 the whole biz seatmap lit up. Every person on the list cleared. This was a 777.
Old Jun 11, 20, 7:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG75K, BA Silver, accidental DL FO, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, AmEx PLT
Originally Posted by sam2k2002 View Post
The ExpertFlyer numbers are fudged right now. LAX-MIA J=0 the entire time, yet T-24 the whole biz seatmap lit up. Every person on the list cleared. This was a 777.
This typically happens when Y is oversold -- J gets zeroed out and is released for upgrades not long before departure. These flights are usually easy EP upgrades.
Old Jun 11, 20, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
No. Most flights are full including J.
justforfun likes this.
Old Jun 11, 20, 7:49 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus, Marriott Bonvoy
Can't speak to your chances on AA, but I took a 6 segment trip on UA last weekend. The shortest upgrade list was 12 and the longest was 36. I got upgraded 1 of 6 segments as a 1K. I certainly wouldn't rely on getting the upgrade.
Old Jun 11, 20, 8:14 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Flew AA from Mexico.via MIA .First Class full....Fare $750 OW..Virtually no In-Flight Service Coach more than half empty fare $195. Just looked at similar situation for Atlanta to Montreal in July Coach $160 OW..First : Greedy American are asking for $680 on same flights.
Old Jun 11, 20, 8:15 am
wjj

Programs: Former long time AA EXP and CK - 4 MM; Now LTPL; Hilton Diamond; UA Silver
RSW/ORD two weeks ago, even two CKs were in the back. First was zeroed out at least five days before departure. And this was a flight that was added to the schedule because the daily flight sold out a few weeks in advance. Just a random observation with no proof, but it seems like routes that normally have fewer business travelers like ORD/RSW are starting to return to normal levels faster and are selling out in F many days or even weeks in advance. Even back when I was still a CK, the upgrade on that route was iffy since so many purchased discounted F fares, so I started buying P too or upgrading with miles if there was any upgrade space available (which was not often). A lot of people with two homes are going back and forth, especially now with SWFL pretty much open and IL still pretty much shut down (for no good reason outside of Chicago itself). It seems like leisure travelers are returning to flying faster than business flyers. No proof. Just observation.
Old Jun 11, 20, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wjj View Post
RSW/ORD two weeks ago, even two CKs were in the back. First was zeroed out at least five days before departure. And this was a flight that was added to the schedule because the daily flight sold out a few weeks in advance. Just a random observation with no proof, but it seems like routes that normally have fewer business travelers like ORD/RSW are starting to return to normal levels faster and are selling out in F many days or even weeks in advance. Even back when I was still a CK, the upgrade on that route was iffy since so many purchased discounted F fares, so I started buying P too or upgrading with miles if there was any upgrade space available (which was not often). A lot of people with two homes are going back and forth, especially now with SWFL pretty much open and IL still pretty much shut down (for no good reason outside of Chicago itself). It seems like leisure travelers are returning to flying faster than business flyers. No proof. Just observation.

Yeah if a CK can't get upgraded going to LAX...no .....ORD, no that's right FORT MYERS I think this pretty much says it all.
Old Jun 11, 20, 8:22 am

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
No. Most flights are full including J.
to completely misleading and inaccurate posts. The plural of anecdote is not data. Rather than putting stock in the anecdotal ranting of one (or even several) FTers, perhaps look to hard data to form conclusions.

Ian faces no penalty for posting inaccurate information. A publicly traded company like AAL, on the other hand, does. Here's a recent press release from AAL:
Newsroom - Bring on Summer: American Airlines Increases Domestic Flying for Summer Travel Season, Begins Reopening Admirals Clubs and Increases Flexibility - American Airlines Group, Inc.

AA had an average load factor of 55% for the May 24-May 29 period. Let that sink in. AA's flights were, on average, barely over half full in late May. For the first 23 days of May, system load factor was only 41%.
Old Jun 11, 20, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Herb687 View Post
AA had an average load factor of 55% for the May 24-May 29 period
That is 3 week old data. When I"m on my zeroed out flights this weekend I will snap a pic and put them in your inbox for viewing pleasure.

Sounds like someone needs a vacation.
Old Jun 11, 20, 10:14 am

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
That is 3 week old data. When I"m on my zeroed out flights this weekend I will snap a pic and put them in your inbox for viewing pleasure.
No need. Because YOUR zeroed out flights are not an indication of SYSTEM load factor.
aztimm, largeeyes and rumboj like this.

Last edited by Herb687; Jun 11, 20 at 10:14 am Reason: syntax
Old Jun 11, 20, 12:08 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 1MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Overall system load may no longer be a good indication of upgrade chances. First, unlike a normal summer, people traveling now are less likely to be leisure travelers. That 55% may be skewed heavily toward elites. Secondly, more people may be purchasing F in an attempt to get more space between them and their neighbor.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: