Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

This Passenger Won't Be Flying AA Again Anytime Soon (Coronavirus measures)

Old Jun 9, 20, 9:31 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Only what my AmEx Plat offers me

One passenger's experience flying AA out of Mexico to Tampa recently. Sounds legit..... and risky.

https://www.cheapestdestinationsblog.com/2020/06/08/american-airlines-pandemic/?fbclid=IwAR26glErXUoYs75pQ5kNk-RpIPG77NHNHx21UPKKE0u_YFw6B39dQwJg5GA

_____

Added by moderator to comply with FT rules:
Should you fly on American Airlines while its namesake country still doesn’t have this virus anywhere close to under control? After being on two of their flights yesterday, I’d say no. The risk is way beyond the acceptable level for your health. When I have to fly back hhoose a different airline for sure.

It feels strange to be a travel writer in these times. Some of my peers are irresponsibly telling everyone it’s just fine to fly again, to go see the world the minute foreign countries will let us back in again. Public sentiment is far more cautious, for a good reason. There’s still a high level of contagion, especially in countries led by populists who didn’t take this threat seriously at first (USA, UK, Mexico, and Brazil have “the lead” by far).

In surveys asking when Americans would feel safe flying again, those answering “not for at least a year” have ranged from 40% to 65% in the results I’ve seen. Most of the general public is far more comfortable traveling in a safe way this summer, like in their own car to a place where they can maintain their distance.

Last edited by aztimm; Jun 10, 20 at 9:33 am Reason: FT Rule re external links
Old Jun 9, 20, 9:33 pm

Goodbye Cruel Airline.

P.S. I knew it would be a great read when the blog contains “cheapest”
Old Jun 10, 20, 12:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I doubt this passenger would have been any happier flying a different airline. Looking for things to criticize every step of the way.

And US airlines (not just AA) are simply not enforcing face covering policies. I don't like it myself (and sent an email to WN about it after my flight yesterday), but it's not fair to single out AA on this point. You can thank those who have politicized a public health issue, thus preserving the individual's sacred right to infect others with a potentially fatal disease.
Old Jun 10, 20, 12:32 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
What a bunch of blathering .. I want my 5 minutes back after reading that article. Some of it doesn't even make sense, like being in a bad mood because he was forced to pay for a checked bag at the gate, even though he has a CC and used it to pay taxes for the award trip. AA doesn't charge you at the gate for bags, and your free bag is tied to your AAdvantage number regardless of if you paid with your CC. And it taking too long to board by group on an E175.. if he's that scared of being close to people, why the hell is he going on a multi-segment trip on an airplane

Sounds like a bad flyer to me.
Old Jun 10, 20, 5:21 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
I'll be taking my first trip in mid-July, since late-ish March. I've pretty much decided to drive the 9 hours rather than fly, though I dislike driving. Since there is no vaccine or treatment, all we have are masks and social distancing, and both are iffy on an airplane.
Old Jun 10, 20, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by AlanInDC View Post
I'll be taking my first trip in mid-July, since late-ish March. I've pretty much decided to drive the 9 hours rather than fly, though I dislike driving. Since there is no vaccine or treatment, all we have are masks and social distancing, and both are iffy on an airplane.
Are you 60+ or immunocompromised? If not you’d probably have a higher chance of dying in a car accident on that drive than of COVID from a plane
Old Jun 10, 20, 7:00 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, UA Silver, Marr LTTitanium, HH Gold, Hyatt Disc
I loved this line:

This company seems to love fighting with even their best customers to squeeze out another couple bucks. (I’ve had an AAdvantage account since 1986, have both of their credit cards from Barclays and Citi, and have had elite status in the past.)

All you EXPs thought you were AA's best customers; ha!
Old Jun 10, 20, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by david55 View Post
One passenger's experience flying AA out of Mexico to Tampa recently. Sounds legit..... and risky.

https://www.cheapestdestinationsblog...Fw6B39dQwJg5GA
I mean, if you're that worried then don't fly. Or better yet, fly private, I know fractionals are actually doing pretty good business right now.

Better yet, I'm pretty sure one's college aged daughter could figure out how to fly home on her own.
GrumpyYoungMan and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 10, 20, 8:30 am

I don't understand why they don't just enforce it. Most non-US carriers seem to be able to do that without issue.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 20, 8:47 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
happy I did not bother to read the article.. just on the title of the post...I can just imagine what the article was about......
if you dont like what the airline is doing.. then either pick another, or just dont fly... sorry.. getting a bit tired of people moaning.... etc
roberto99, nancypants and Cliff358 like this.
Old Jun 10, 20, 8:59 am
Rd3

Programs: HH Dia, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by erik123 View Post
I don't understand why they don't just enforce it. Most non-US carriers seem to be able to do that without issue.
Unfortunately enforcement would require actions for those who don't comply--just imagine the reaction the first time a flight is diverted due to an altercation between a FA & a passenger who refused to wear a mask, or altercation between passengers stemming from mask use.
Old Jun 10, 20, 9:13 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro
I would put my damn mask for the first 5 minutes and while boarding, then take it off.
Halo117 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 20, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Originally Posted by erik123 View Post
I don't understand why they don't just enforce it
Enforcement = revenue loss
Old Jun 10, 20, 9:30 am

Programs: AA: CK
Desperate to stay relevant.
Old Jun 10, 20, 9:51 am
Suspended

If the stupid mask policy is in force when I fly in September, I simply won't comply. I refuse to wear one. If they question me, I have a 'medical condition - cough cough, that prevents me from wearing one'.

My health and the health of others is at less risk flying without a mask than it was driving to the airport, unless you have a significant immune system issue, at which point you shouldn't be traveling, period.

Last edited by FriscoHeavy; Jun 10, 20 at 11:12 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: