Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

This Passenger Won't Be Flying AA Again Anytime Soon (Coronavirus measures)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

This Passenger Won't Be Flying AA Again Anytime Soon (Coronavirus measures)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2020, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by 757FO
Perhaps I am. Being an airline pilot used to be simple, we flew the plane, and focused on that. More and more however, we have now become mediators with passengers and cabin crew members alike. I miss the old days, when all I had to be concerned with was weather, and what time the hotel van picked us up during a layover. Now I get dragged into who wears a mask, who gets an upgrade, who gets bin space, and don't get me started if it's ok to recline your seat, or the perpetual arguments of if you lost an upgrade or a seat to a non-rev. All of us have become far too entitled and spoiled, and that includes crew, not just passengers. It was different 25 years ago, when I left the Air Force and embarked on my airline career. The airlines were different, as were the employees and passengers.
I don't think I've ever seen flight deck crew getting involved with upgrades, bin space, or seat recline and I would expect that masks would also fall into realm as well. I certainly don't think that's by any means typical for flight crew.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Now I get dragged into who wears a mask, who gets an upgrade, who gets bin space, and don't get me started if it's ok to recline your seat, or the perpetual arguments of if you lost an upgrade or a seat to a non-rev.
With the potential of starring in a viral YouTube air rage video!
Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:08 am

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Originally Posted by cmd320
I don't think I've ever seen flight deck crew getting involved with upgrades, bin space, or seat recline and I would expect that masks would also fall into realm as well. I certainly don't think that's by any means typical for flight crew.
It has been for me, on several occasions earlier this year, and multiple times last year. In some, it's the FA's coming into the flight-deck to vent or complain, in others, I've had to actually speak with passengers. This happened a lot last summer, during heavy vacation travel, especially. My fiance has had a similar experience as well.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
With the potential of starring in a viral YouTube air rage video!
LOL, indeed! I use to be on one of the safety videos, years ago, which I guess you can say went viral. But an air rage video, ugh, no thank you!
Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Perhaps I am. Being an airline pilot used to be simple, we flew the plane, and focused on that. More and more however, we have now become mediators with passengers and cabin crew members alike. I miss the old days, when all I had to be concerned with was weather, and what time the hotel van picked us up during a layover. Now I get dragged into who wears a mask, who gets an upgrade, who gets bin space, and don't get me started if it's ok to recline your seat, or the perpetual arguments of if you lost an upgrade or a seat to a non-rev. All of us have become far too entitled and spoiled, and that includes crew, not just passengers. It was different 25 years ago, when I left the Air Force and embarked on my airline career. The airlines were different, as were the employees and passengers.
This is when the trouble started.....
Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian
This is when the trouble started.....
I think it actually can be traced back to this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:59 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by ReinaDeLaSelva
Hola senor! Have you forgotten?! We - I mean more than 50 percent of humans alive - do NOT all have penises! I have none. BUUT I have big boobs and many other qualities lol! Anyway I wear the mask. I am not 100 percent sure it works to cut transmission but I wear anyway. If you do not want to wear one OK. But if you disrupt my flight by disobeying the direct orders of aircrew then you violate this

49 U.S. Code § 46318. Interference with cabin or flight crew

I am not interested in being part of your performance of "resistance" if my flight is delayed or diverted for this reason. My ego does not require me to cause diversion of a/c to SUX or YYR and overnight there even if I do not agree. It is not all about me or my preference.

Even though I do not agree with all commands or actions of flight crews, I will not interfere in this way. I wait to land and file a complaint if it proves necessary.

I see at this minute the mask protocol is not yet covered in FAA publication...

VOLUME 3 GENERAL TECHNICAL ADMINISTRATION

CHAPTER 33 CABIN SAFETY AND FLIGHT ATTENDANT MANAGEMENT

Section 6 Safety Assurance System: Operations—Cabin Safety

https://fsims.faa.gov/wdocs/8900.1/v03%20tech%20admin/chapter%2033/03_033_006.htm

757FO.. please know you have my support and I am sure many other pax if you need to take actions to ensure flight safety on my flight. The metal tube is not the place to pick the fight.
The CFR section you cited does NOT apply (unless the passenger is using threat or intimidation). I am not disputing your right to have an opinion about the rule - but even using very large capital letters doesn't make it legally correct.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 12:37 pm

It's actually an exact comparison.
It would only be an exact comparison if AA's policy was "black people aren't allowed on planes, but our flight attendants aren't going to enforce the rule." Obviously, that would be illegal and unethical, so they wouldn't create such a rule. That makes the comparison pretty ridiculous.

If you really don't want to wear a mask on a plane, choose a carrier or form of transportation that doesn't require it instead of being a jerk. You don't need to believe in the efficacy of mask-wearing to follow straightforward rules announced in advance by a private company.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jordyn
It would only be an exact comparison if AA's policy was "black people aren't allowed on planes, but our flight attendants aren't going to enforce the rule." Obviously, that would be illegal and unethical, so they wouldn't create such a rule. That makes the comparison pretty ridiculous.

If you really don't want to wear a mask on a plane, choose a carrier or form of transportation that doesn't require it instead of being a jerk. You don't need to believe in the efficacy of mask-wearing to follow straightforward rules announced in advance by a private company.
I disagree.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 11:49 am
Suspended

Programs: AV, AA, BA, CM, UA, Hertz, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by sbrower
The CFR section you cited does NOT apply (unless the passenger is using threat or intimidation). I am not disputing your right to have an opinion about the rule - but even using very large capital letters doesn't make it legally correct.
The final outcome of such onboard mask conflict is very predictable to all flyers and it happens now on AA. Refusal to obey flight crew instructions and offload.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...es-flight.html

Anyway I use the source preferred by BA pax. They call it DailyFail LOL!
GlobeTrekker likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ReinaDeLaSelva
The final outcome of such onboard mask conflict is very predictable to all flyers and it happens now on AA. Refusal to obey flight crew instructions and offload.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...es-flight.html

Anyway I use the source preferred by BA pax. They call it DailyFail LOL!
I mean, all someone has to do is claim a medical issue and then the crew will have to leave them alone.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 3:58 pm

I mean, all someone has to do is claim a medical issue and then the crew will have to leave them alone.
I believe the policy will be that if you have a medical condition that precludes you from wearing a mask, you can not fly, period. I don't believe it is in place yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is in the next 14 days.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe the policy will be that if you have a medical condition that precludes you from wearing a mask, you can not fly, period. I don't believe it is in place yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is in the next 14 days.
Pretty sure that’s illegal.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 5:42 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Looks like this thread has run its course. Shoot me or one of the other mods a PM if you feel a need to re-open.

~moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.