Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA at LHR / London Heathrow In Terminal 5-B on 7 Jul 2020 w/ BA, IB

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 21, 2020, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines has moved all operations to Terminal 5, and departs from Satellite B, effective 7 July 2020.

(NOTE: In Sep 2020, the BA Galleries B Lounge remains closed.)

AA is expected to remain until Terminal 3 is reopened once flight operations increase to the point T3 is needed, though there has been chatter about a permanent Terminal 5 presence.

AA has a dedicated check-in area at Zone C, and two AA personnel, the left-most and devices are in First Wing Security channel as well, ostensibly for longhaul F, AA Concierge Key and Executive Platinum members not needing to check baggage or have visas or passports checked.

See post #1 for a map of T-5B.
Link to PDF of full Terminal 5 map.

NOTE: As of July 7, AA Concierge Key and AA Flagship First passengers have access to the Concorde Room (terrace, currently). AA F and J, plus Executive Platinum, may use the Galleries Arrivals Lounge when it reopens later this year. CCR and Arrivals Lounge are not covered by oneworld lounge access rules.

Print Wikipost

AA at LHR / London Heathrow In Terminal 5-B on 7 Jul 2020 w/ BA, IB

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2020, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
There is a dedicated ticketting / assistance desk in the F lounge that can deal with all sorts of things from seat changes to rebooking in irrops

It's at the end of the corridor area leading from the entrance just before you get into the main lounge seating area.
Right, but they can't do AA metal changes the way they can at an Admirals club.
​​​​​
Old Jun 7, 2020, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Antarius
Right, but they can't do AA metal changes the way they can at an Admirals club.
​​​​​
That wasn't the question I was answering . It was about the supposed lack of a ticket / service desk in the BA f lounge in T5.

I'm sure that if AA move to T5 there will be an AA desk somewhere.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
That wasn't the question I was answering . It was about the supposed lack of a ticket / service desk in the BA f lounge in T5.

I'm sure that if AA move to T5 there will be an AA desk somewhere.
I think that's what the original poster was referring to, no AAgents (not no BA Agents) in T5, thereby leaving you unable make AA.metal changes.

If AA moves, there likely will be someone there.

How do IB passengers handle it?
Old Jun 7, 2020, 9:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Anyone know if AA will be constructing new lounges in T5 to match their move?

It's going to be sad to lose the decent AA AC/FL showers, the great Arrivals Lounge, and CX/BA lounges. I'm very surprised that there's room for AA at T5 given their gargantuan operations at LHR.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
If AA moves to T5 the BA Galleries lounge will become completely overcrowded.

What will become of the T3 AA lounge? Who knows.
brewdog11 likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 9:32 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by brewdog11
Anyone know if AA will be constructing new lounges in T5 to match their move?

It's going to be sad to lose the decent AA AC/FL showers, the great Arrivals Lounge, and CX/BA lounges. I'm very surprised that there's room for AA at T5 given their gargantuan operations at LHR.
Just as a reminder, this alleged move has not been confirmed. Could be temporary while global travel is down, but even BA operated quite a few flights from T3 as T5 couldn't handle all their volume. Add all the AA pre-covid frequencies to T5 doesn't seem plausible in the long run.
brewdog11 likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Just as a reminder, this alleged move has not been confirmed. Could be temporary while global travel is down, but even BA operated quite a few flights from T3 as T5 couldn't handle all their volume. Add all the AA pre-covid frequencies to T5 doesn't seem plausible in the long run.
Understood. How many flights a day does AA fly into LHR? Are there enough jetways to accommodate if they do move?
Old Jun 7, 2020, 10:17 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
That is true - BA 288/289 flew to and from T3.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 10:42 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
There is a dedicated ticketting / assistance desk in the F lounge that can deal with all sorts of things from seat changes to rebooking in irrops

It's at the end of the corridor area leading from the entrance just before you get into the main lounge seating area.
I guess I never knew that. Is it near the bag storage room? I was referring to the window across from the toilets. The agents there are mostly useless and in the past they referred me to the agents at the entrance to the Club lounge on the floor below.

Originally Posted by enviroian
If AA moves to T5 the BA Galleries lounge will become completely overcrowded.
I've been in the F lounge perhaps 6 times in the last year or so and it was quite crowded each time. It can't stand more traffic. It could certainly hold more with some significant design changes, like reconfiguring the business center area, and would at least feel less crowded if it wasn't so warm and stifling.

Understood. How many flights a day does AA fly into LHR? Are there enough jetways to accommodate if they do move?
There aren't nearly enough jetways in T5 now to handle the normal number of BA flights. Has AA ever not used a jetway in T3?
Old Jun 7, 2020, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stripe
There aren't nearly enough jetways in T5 now to handle the normal number of BA flights. Has AA ever not used a jetway in T3?
I have never used anything but a jetway for AA flights at T3.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
I'm not going to go into deep research on the specific number of AA flights to/from LHR pre-covid, but it has been, and will continue to be the heaviest frequency international destination for AA by far, thus the only AA Flagship First lounge outside the US (plans to convert to a regular Flagship Lounge), an Arrivals Lounge etc. From the top of my head flights to/from LHR previously included JFK, DFW, MIA, ORD, LAX, CLT, PHL, and probably missing some, and many had multiple daily flights.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not going to go into deep research on the specific number of AA flights to/from LHR pre-covid, but it has been, and will continue to be the heaviest frequency international destination for AA by far, thus the only AA Flagship First lounge outside the US (plans to convert to a regular Flagship Lounge), an Arrivals Lounge etc. From the top of my head flights to/from LHR previously included JFK, DFW, MIA, ORD, LAX, CLT, PHL, and probably missing some, and many had multiple daily flights.
Plus RDU and soon BOS. Yeah that's an s load of flights.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 4:05 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
I believe at the end of 2018, AA had 18 flights per day to LHR. Since then, they have announced BOS which is now scheduled to start 24 Oct, and SEA which is scheduled to start Spring 2021 (if it starts). Assuming they had not cut any, that's 20 flights per day to LHR, though I also read that AA/BA may have to give up some slots.

I am also concerned that BA will relegate certain AA flights to hard stands. It's not the end of the world, but there seem to be limited ways to fit AA in T5 if a full BA flight load resumes.

I also read a rumor on another site that all oneworld airlines could move to T5 while T3 is closed -- that sounds a lot more likely, since the *A airlines will likely want their gates back at some point. They may still have to get past the lack of common-use terminal equipment in T5, I don't know if that has changed, but I imagine BA is working round the clock to make it so if the move is going to happen.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 4:12 pm

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Hmm - While I will surely miss the CX lounge, I assume this means that all the other T3 BA flight will move to T5 as well. It always bothered me not being able to use the Concord Room on the occasional MIA-LHR BA F flight leaving from T3 - now, if AA F entitled you to Concord Room - I might miss the CX lounge less. Galleries F isn't too bad - unless you want to shower or use a bathroom - one of the few places in the world where the mens room has a line
Old Jun 7, 2020, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by Stripe
Has AA ever not used a jetway in T3?
I've had to bus to an AA 77W on hardstand quite a few times at T3. At least 2x in the slower winter season, that I can recall.
rossmacd likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.