Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA at LHR / London Heathrow In Terminal 5-B on 7 Jul 2020 w/ BA, IB

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 21, 2020, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines has moved all operations to Terminal 5, and departs from Satellite B, effective 7 July 2020.

(NOTE: In Sep 2020, the BA Galleries B Lounge remains closed.)

AA is expected to remain until Terminal 3 is reopened once flight operations increase to the point T3 is needed, though there has been chatter about a permanent Terminal 5 presence.

AA has a dedicated check-in area at Zone C, and two AA personnel, the left-most and devices are in First Wing Security channel as well, ostensibly for longhaul F, AA Concierge Key and Executive Platinum members not needing to check baggage or have visas or passports checked.

See post #1 for a map of T-5B.
Link to PDF of full Terminal 5 map.

NOTE: As of July 7, AA Concierge Key and AA Flagship First passengers have access to the Concorde Room (terrace, currently). AA F and J, plus Executive Platinum, may use the Galleries Arrivals Lounge when it reopens later this year. CCR and Arrivals Lounge are not covered by oneworld lounge access rules.

Print Wikipost

AA at LHR / London Heathrow In Terminal 5-B on 7 Jul 2020 w/ BA, IB

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2020, 8:55 am

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
Baths are glorious

Originally Posted by birddogmax
As someone for whom LHR has pretty much become my home away from home, I can’t say I’m very pleased about this. I certainly won’t miss the Heathrow Express wait forever connection between T3 and T5 but it was a small price to pay for dedicated lounges and the arrivals showers, both of which are far superior to BA’s offerings in T5. Yes, the dedicated security lane in the T5 F lounge is very convenient but the lounge itself is always jam packed and hot as an oven. The food is admittedly better than AA’s offerings, so there’s that, but the staff not nearly as helpful. And T5 arrivals? Just forget about it - antiquated and subpar.

The only way I can see to make this work in any fashion is to convert the remote lounge in T5 to an Admirals Club. It’s very small but at least we would have dedicated AA staff (which sounds silly but try getting BA staff to help with anything AA related and you’ll be jumping for joy at the sight of winged lapel pins). Overall this seems to be a massive loss for those of us who spend a great deal of time at LHR. Two thumbs down.
I personally find the huge bathtubs in the terminal five arrivals lounge absolutely amazing after a long flight – to sit back, relax and soak while one’s clothes are taken to be pressed is absolutely delightful. I am pleased to read though that I am not the only one to find the terminal five first lounge so unbearably hot. The only area of it I can sit in as the champagne lounge, so when hungry I have to go upstairs to the scrum of galleries.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Looks like I'm the only one who likes the BA F lounge at 5. Yes it's hot but all of Heathrow is HOT --too hot and obviously don't know how to use air con.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 9:41 am
C46

Curious what is going to happen to the Batcave a.k.a. the AA Offices in T3?!

And I would not compare the situation of the IB-DCS, with AA's - Resiber is terrible and was notorius, for not "talking" to SABRE or Altéa properly.

I've seen QiK/SABRE, Resiber & FLY running smoothly on CUTE-sets, so moving terminals shouldn't be causing major issues.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 11:15 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I've smiled as I read through the posts that are here. I heard these rumours some time ago. Frankly in the present climate all bets are off as to what traffic will resume after this period. Whilst I see the sense of putting AA in T5 - I await with trepidation the impact on all the Lounges. God knows they are full enough now. Further from the city? T5 is one stop down from T3.

Personally I detest T3 - it is years old and shows it. Pre-clearance was trailed at LHR in the late eighties as I recall - it was still the time of PanAm and TWA - why it was never taken up I do not know but I could see either the B gates or C gates being dedicated for this purpose - but I would still imagine that it would be overwhelmed if traffic got back to pre-pandemic levels.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 11:17 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Although I appreciate the "F" security line that leads directly into the BA F Lounge at T5 as well as the champagne bar(s), I find T3 more "intimate" and I enjoy the variety of lounge options. I can't see having AA being at T5 as a long term solution simply due to capacity constraints.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 11:36 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by C46
I've seen QiK/SABRE, Resiber & FLY running smoothly on CUTE-sets, so moving terminals shouldn't be causing major issues.
I was under the impression (based on the counterpart thread in the BA forum) that there was no CUTE in T5.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by VFR
I was under the impression (based on the counterpart thread in the BA forum) that there was no CUTE in T5.
Correct and it was why it took so long for IB to be able to proceess their flights as IB and not BA codeshares until they did some sort of fix.

Now what fix has been done it may be able to be used to enable AA to move to T5 but that would depend on what underlyign sysyem AA uses and if the BA system can talk to it easily
Old Jun 6, 2020, 11:55 am
C46

AA runs completely on SABRE - both on the Passengers Services-side (RES) & operational (DECS).

The QiK-interface only mimics the look of the old US-DCS, but it generates SABRE-command lines in the background.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by enviroian
Looks like I'm the only one who likes the BA F lounge at 5. Yes it's hot but all of Heathrow is HOT --too hot and obviously don't know how to use air con.
I spend way too much time in the T5 F lounge and find that it, and its showers, are not nearly as bad as people on here and on the BA board make it out to be. That said, I do much prefer the lounges at T3, especially CX and QF.
Score8 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
I join in being disappointed with this. I go to Barcelona about once a year and its always nice to stay within T3.

Did AA ever start renovating the T3 AC? I had thought they were in the process of that. Would BA they let AC members without status use the Galleries Lounges?
Old Jun 6, 2020, 12:58 pm

I actually enjoyed the T3 AA arrivals lounge and the landside transfer to T5. Especially if one had access to the BA FIRST check in, the security process ended directly in the T5 FIRST lounge (still too hot). Hated the T3-T5 busses and the line. I might be a bit different though, as I would usually connect same day on the outbound, but would overnight at the Renaissance before flying from LHR back to the states. I wouldn't extend the trip, but would take an afternoon/evening flight from Belfast/Glasgow/wherever to LHR and enjoy the Exec Lounge at the Renn, then take the free red busses right to T3 in the morning. Of course, loved the T3 CX lounge for the champagne, the T3 BA lounge if I was in a whiskey mood, and would hardly hit the AA lounge unless there was a flight delay or an upgrade pending. Hopefully flying again soon.

Last edited by MIAFlyer; Jun 6, 2020 at 12:59 pm Reason: added security process
Old Jun 6, 2020, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
That beautiful BA lounge at 5 is way above and beyond anything in 3 (AA, CX, QF).
- In the past Galleries First in T5 was a zoo with nothing to be excited about. The space was modern but that was it. I always enjoyed stopping at CX in T3.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 3:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Have you actually been to the CX F lounge and/or the QF lounge?

Regards
Old Jun 6, 2020, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by remedy
Won't miss the bus ride (especially close connections from AA to BA), but agree that the T lounges are better and the choices are nice. T 5 lounges are very crowded and limited. Don't get to the Concorde lounge very often, which is nice, though.
Yeah, makes sense! I love ride on a bus from T3 to T5. I can see a lots of aircraft. Next time if I stay longer and I am sure I can ask someone who can take me a nice ramp tour opportunity.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
For the benefit of passengers connecting between AA aand BA
Yes, I knows LHR airport very well. Easy airport. I have been in LHR for a many times. I always rode on a bus from T3 to T5.

Originally Posted by Abidjan
Agree on BA F.

However, the LHR CX lounge set-up (J and F) is excellent.

Hope this is a false alarm. Love T3.
Yes, it is. This is a false alarm. There is no way to move to T5. They won't let AA to entire T5.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 4:40 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by uscjeff
Did AA ever start renovating the T3 AC? I had thought they were in the process of that. Would BA they let AC members without status use the Galleries Lounges?
American has arrangements for AC members to visit certain lounges when flying AA overseas (almost always the contract lounge used for elites and J). Here is the list for Europe -- in EDI and TXL they use the BA lounge already. Given that London is probably AA's most important overseas station, I strongly suspect that Admirals Club members will be allowed into the Galleries lounges when flying AA.

If BA ground staff handles the AA flights, it could be possible that AA also runs a split T3/T5 operation, e.g. moving JFK flights to T5. It would create some headaches below the wing, but it would simplify things dramatically in IROPS if all flights to the same US airport left from the same terminal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.