Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Do we need.to arrive at the airport earlier than normal for domestic flights?

Old Jun 5, 20, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD

I have my first flight in three months this week, traveling MSY-CLT-JFK on AA. Traveling in F; EXP status; checking bags. I have pre-check, but my girlfriend does not.

In the past I would arrive at MSY about 90 minutes prior to departure. Is that still sufficient? I know that this is largely airport specific, but I’d love to get a sense of what people are experiencing irrespective of departure airport.

(For those who want to offer an opinion, the girlfriend is flying EWR-ZRH-BUD in J on LX later in the week. I’m planning to drop her at EWR four hours prior to departure — fortunately the LH lounge at EWR is open. Thoughts on that?)
Old Jun 5, 20, 7:20 am
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP), MPC Gold, AS MVP
I wouldn’t say so.

I guess it is largely airport specific but for my last 3 flights within this past month (all from CLT or DCA), I arrived at the airport ~35 minutes prior to departure.
Old Jun 5, 20, 8:15 am

Programs: Choice Hotels
If you are checking a bag I would make sure you are at the counter to check in 1 hour before departure. If not be in line for security 45 mins before departure.
Old Jun 5, 20, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by CLT View Post
I wouldn’t say so.

I guess it is largely airport specific but for my last 3 flights within this past month (all from CLT or DCA), I arrived at the airport ~35 minutes prior to departure.
If you can check in online and have no bags to check, there's little reason to arrive more than an hour before departure for a domestic flight. Security was empty at SFO and LAX this week.
Old Jun 5, 20, 8:33 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I wouldn’t arrive early.....airports are no fun these days with no lounges and every state with their own rules for restaurants etc
GrumpyYoungMan and cmd320 like this.
Old Jun 5, 20, 9:54 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by Blumie View Post
(For those who want to offer an opinion, the girlfriend is flying EWR-ZRH-BUD in J on LX later in the week. I’m planning to drop her at EWR four hours prior to departure — fortunately the LH lounge at EWR is open. Thoughts on that?)
I have never deliberately arrived at an airport in a developed country, four hours in advance of the flight.

Exceptions being times where I wasn't able to arrange any convenient alternative (e.g., 2300 departure from CPT, coming off a full-day wine tour and carrying lots of luggage and wine) and when I had a very long drive to the airport in uncertain traffic (e.g., driving to ORD from southern Indiana).
TravelGirl322 likes this.
Old Jun 5, 20, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Originally Posted by Blumie;32431671(F
I’m planning to drop her at EWR four hours prior to departure — fortunately the LH lounge at EWR is open. Thoughts on that?)
Yeah, way too early! 4 hours?

90 minutes maybe 2 hours max if she wants to wait around.
Old Jun 5, 20, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by wetrat0 View Post
I have never deliberately arrived at an airport in a developed country, four hours in advance of the flight.
I've never flown during a pandemic before. But from the responses on here it certainly sounds as though one needn't arrive any earlier than normal.
Old Jun 5, 20, 10:52 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
My experience - Airports are operating at SIGNIFICANTLY less capacity so potentially only a few dozen people arriving when you are.
I'd simply check departures to see how many flights leave around your time (if more than yours) because TSA has greatly reduced check-in options including close PRE-TSA or CLEAR so you are in queue with everyone else. In one experience security was slower than what I would normally expect (granted the queue seemed to be all large families), but every other experience it took me less than 5 minutes to clear security and walk to gate.
Old Jun 5, 20, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
If anything I would probably arrive later now than I would have 6 months ago. TSA has been a breeze and as others have said, not much to do in the terminal right now.
enviroian likes this.
Old Jun 5, 20, 11:20 am

Programs: AA PLT, Hertz Gold Plus, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Hardly any TSA line at CLT last Monday, breezed right through. CLT was generally pretty empty with many stores/restaurants/Minute Suites still closed.
Old Jun 5, 20, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
My guess would be that as we ramp up again on travel, if the TSA does not ramp up with the demand, lines will be longer. Also, some have said PreCheck and Clear are NOT operating, so everyone now is dumped in the main lines. So that is the only bottleneck that I see. AA is opening lounges in the next few weeks, so we may have some place to go on the AA loyalty bus.
Anyone have any ideas on TSA staffing at AA at LAX?
Old Jun 5, 20, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
In my experience, if you have PRE and are on the same PNR as the other traveler who doesn't, there is a decent probability that person will also get PRE.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jun 5, 20, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
In my experience, if you have PRE and are on the same PNR as the other traveler who doesn't, there is a decent probability that person will also get PRE.
This has always been the case with me
Old Jun 5, 20, 1:54 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Diamond (Aspire)
I flew MIA- ORD and later ORD-MIA today.
Both airports had open pre-lines, I checked bags in Miami, one person ahead of me in priority areas. Both pre and regular security had short lines. In ORD I only saw PRE line which was virtually non existent.

MIA was reportedly a mixed bag with only one TSA line (no pre) open as recently as last week - so I went to airport early (90 minutes) which was a waste of time

Search this Thread
Search Engine: