Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage President Bridget Blaise-Shamai Leaves; Whither AAdvantage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AAdvantage President Bridget Blaise-Shamai Leaves; Whither AAdvantage?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2020, 9:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
It was announced this afternoon.

Rick Elieson. Currently in cargo. But use to be in AAdvantage managing the Citibank relationship
Elieson (President of Cargo and VP of International Operations) seems to be viewed positively. He has experience including pricing, yield and revenue management, AA vacations, global partner marketing. And AAdvantage will be... under Revenue Management. Interesting.

Vasu Raja has moved through planning, strategy, revenue management, etc. Some of his ideas, published last year: https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/n...-airlines.html
Old Jun 4, 2020, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by N830MH
I'll be surprised. Hope he can help us to restore the old AAdvantage program. Eliminate dollar requirements and based miles. Bring it back 100% mileage again.

Those people had it right to bring the old AAdvantage mileage program.
It isn't going back to mileage based ever. Its a pipe dream.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by mnhusker
Prediction:

We will see one of two options:

1. American invented the Frequent Flyer Program, so they have the option to do that all over again.

Come up with an entirely new way of thinking about the relationship between the customer and the airline and who should be rewarded and how.

I like some of the ideas (family plans) discussed here but there exists the possibility of "something" completely different, not that I know what that is, but then Aadvantage was "completely different when it came out in the 1980's.

For a "new program" to be viable, it would have to be revenue neutral, pull passengers from other carriers in significant numbers (especially high value customers) and be able to be implemented without much change to their current IT base. Talk about a difficult challenge .

2. Dissolve Aadvantage completely. It has become dysfunctional for the traveler as so many of you have pointed out, costly for the airline, and it would seem that it no longer functions well for its original purpose of building brand loyalty and revenue for AA. In the current economic environment, the allure of any kind of "cost savings" must be enormous.

Although the benefits of #1 are large, #2 is the the more likely choice IMHO.
Yeah, #2 not gonna happen. The AA FF program is profitable. They're offering the AAdvantage program as collateral for more loan guarantees or something, right?
Whatever it is they're doing, it's because it has value.
#1 is unlikely too. They're not gonna reinvent anything. Unless Delta does first and they copy.
JDiver and Antarius like this.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 10:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
Yeah, #2 not gonna happen. The AA FF program is profitable. They're offering the AAdvantage program as collateral for more loan guarantees or something, right?
Whatever it is they're doing, it's because it has value.
#1 is unlikely too. They're not gonna reinvent anything. Unless Delta does first and they copy.
That loan against AAdvantage is what Bridget Blaise-Shamai is presumably staying 1-3 months to shepherd.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 7:11 am

Programs: American Life Time 2 Million Mile Platinum
Originally Posted by JDiver
That loan against AAdvantage is what Bridget Blaise-Shamai is presumably staying 1-3 months to shepherd.
I was not aware that the credit card part of Aadvantage made it a profit center, thank you for that information.

Does that make it another risk though since banks are floundering from the economy and as targets of Antifa?

I would really hope that #1 Option would materialize as AA needs something to revitalize their core business with SW and Delta as severe domestic threats coming out of Covid and multiple other carriers as International threats.

All the best.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I think AA comes out of COVID looking more like Spirit than a legacy full service airline.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 8:55 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by Stripe
I think AA comes out of COVID looking more like Spirit than a legacy full service airline.
Perhaps because the current manglement team, has NO respect for its clientele, and looks at us as .....”
Old Jun 6, 2020, 2:28 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
Why on earth would they do that? Nearly all loyalty programs are migrating towards approaches that reward their higher spending and/or more profitable customers, rather than the customers who take the most circuitous routes between point A and B. And I can't think of a single good reason why they shouldn't be.
I anticipate you would also be happy if flights on AA partners earned strickly on the dollars spent too. That way you can't get any EQD AAdvantage on your partner flights. At least then we will really know who the big spenders of OPM are. Once you introduce a revenue component, it is no longer a loyalty program.

James
Spiff likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 5:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I anticipate you would also be happy if flights on AA partners earned strickly on the dollars spent too. That way you can't get any EQD AAdvantage on your partner flights. At least then we will really know who the big spenders of OPM are. Once you introduce a revenue component, it is no longer a loyalty program.

James

Uhhh, isn’t the point of a loyalty program to reward your best customers? Dollars spent seems like a much better proxy for that than miles flown. Lots of people here spend way more money than me, so it’s not a matter of me being “happy”. It’s just a much more logical way to run a program.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
After baggage fees, the Aadvantage program is the only other asset that actually makes money for AAL. As has been suggested above, most of the recent (customer negative) changes follow the market leader, difficult to see someone new come in and start making significant "enhancements". Different story if AAL ends up selling the program to Citi, a OW partner - or if Blaise-Shamai was in fact forced out, unwilling to implement changes.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
Uhhh, isn’t the point of a loyalty program to reward your best customers? Dollars spent seems like a much better proxy for that than miles flown. Lots of people here spend way more money than me, so it’s not a matter of me being “happy”. It’s just a much more logical way to run a program.
It isn't a loyalty program, it is a membership! As a self-funded leisure traveler am I less loyal if I don't spend enough but fly twice as much? Am I less loyal if I fly Y? I earned 125K EQM and flew over 200K miles last year adding in awards. This year, I earned 89K EQM in less than 3 months before the COVID-19 crisis. Just not in AAdvantage because I am not interested in subscribing to their membership and RDM earnings are so poor. I do fly AA periodically, mainly on y-up fares which I can credit to my FF program.

Lots of people probably spend less than you do too. Some will never step on an AA flight yet meet the EQM/EQD requirements without actually spending the equivalent in actual dollars. Are these AA's best customers? I flew JFK-HKG-CPT PE (15,424 miles each way) return in January. Crediting to AA earns 15,424×2×1.5 = 46,272 EQM & 30,848 × 0.2 = $6170 EQD. The fare I paid was $1625.

If you think spend is a better proxy to determine loyalty then the EQD earned in the example should be $1625, not $6170 otherwise this isn't any different than flying a circuitous route on a mileage based system that you have issue with.

In 2019, 61% of AA's revenue was derived from passengers who only flew AA once! Maybe if there wasn't a membership fee, AA could retain more customers willing to fly more than once.

btw, I credited the CX flights to AS and earned enough RDM for a one-way on the same route in F/J.

James
Spiff likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 7:42 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
Originally Posted by mnhusker
. American invented the Frequent Flyer Program, so they have the option to do that all over again.
Yeah, I signed up for AAdvantage in the 90s using Prodigy, I had the old Three Letters Four Numbers (XXX1111) number but I stopped flying American for awhile and I lost it.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
It isn't a loyalty program, it is a membership! As a self-funded leisure traveler am I less loyal if I don't spend enough but fly twice as much? Am I less loyal if I fly Y? I earned 125K EQM and flew over 200K miles last year adding in awards. This year, I earned 89K EQM in less than 3 months before the COVID-19 crisis. Just not in AAdvantage because I am not interested in subscribing to their membership and RDM earnings are so poor. I do fly AA periodically, mainly on y-up fares which I can credit to my FF program.

Lots of people probably spend less than you do too. Some will never step on an AA flight yet meet the EQM/EQD requirements without actually spending the equivalent in actual dollars. Are these AA's best customers? I flew JFK-HKG-CPT PE (15,424 miles each way) return in January. Crediting to AA earns 15,424×2×1.5 = 46,272 EQM & 30,848 × 0.2 = $6170 EQD. The fare I paid was $1625.

If you think spend is a better proxy to determine loyalty then the EQD earned in the example should be $1625, not $6170 otherwise this isn't any different than flying a circuitous route on a mileage based system that you have issue with.

In 2019, 61% of AA's revenue was derived from passengers who only flew AA once! Maybe if there wasn't a membership fee, AA could retain more customers willing to fly more than once.

btw, I credited the CX flights to AS and earned enough RDM for a one-way on the same route in F/J.

James
PE is a known sweet spot, the rest of the fares aren't quite as easy.

Also, the number of people mileage running on PE fares is quite low in the grand scheme of things. Heck, mileage running in itself is a niche activity - the point of having spend thresholds is to entice the business travelers and frequent flyers to spend more, buy higher fare classes etc.

Loyalty is about how each party benefits, not how much time they spend together. You get the EXP benefits, they get the money. Its as simple as that.
Mr. BoH likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Rick Elieson. Currently in cargo. But use to be in AAdvantage managing the Citibank relationship
When? Presumably before the merger, when AA only had Citi and not Barclays?
Old Jun 7, 2020, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
PE is a known sweet spot, the rest of the fares aren't quite as easy.

Also, the number of people mileage running on PE fares is quite low in the grand scheme of things. Heck, mileage running in itself is a niche activity - the point of having spend thresholds is to entice the business travelers and frequent flyers to spend more, buy higher fare classes etc.

Loyalty is about how each party benefits, not how much time they spend together. You get the EXP benefits, they get the money. Its as simple as that.
I wasn't talking about Mileage runs; never mentioned them.

Completely Wrong! I fly CX regularly to Australia, Singapore & South Africa. I would easily be EXP if I chose to credit to AAdvantage. How does AA benefit when their revenue is Zero? I choose not to because of the membership dues and the poor RDM earnings.

I would get the status, AA gets no money. As simple as that too. Enjoy your membership!

James
Spiff likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.