Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Admirals Club / Lounges: Openings, Closures, etc. 2021-2022

Old Jun 1, 2020, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AAway
Admirals Clubs began opening 22 June 2020. (Flagship Lounges and Flagship First Dining have no immediate plans for reopening.)

Link to AA lounge changes and updates page

As of May 7, 2021:

An update on our lounges

Admirals Club lounges are reopening in phases with new improvements to reinforce your well-being.

We adhere to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines and use enhanced cleaning measures throughout our clubs.

You're required to wear a face covering in the club, but you may briefly lift or lower it while eating or drinking.

Reopened clubs

• Atlanta (ATL)
  • Austin (AUS) Gate 22
  • Boston (BOS) Terminal B
  • Charlotte (CLT) Concourses B and C
  • Chicago O'Hare (ORD) Concourse H/K; Concourse G (re-opened August 2021); and Concourse L (re-opened July 2021)
  • Dallas / Fort Worth (DFW) Terminals A, B, C, D, and E
  • Denver (DEN) Concourse A
  • Houston Intercontinental (IAH) Terminal A
  • Los Angeles (LAX) Terminal 4, Terminal 5 and Eagle Regional Terminal
  • Mexico City / CDMX (MEX)
  • Miami (MIA) Gates D15, D30
  • Nashville (BNA) Concourse C
  • New York Kennedy (JFK) Terminal 8 (in the Flagship Lounge)
  • New York LaGuardia (LGA) Concourse D
  • Orange County (SNA) Gate 8
  • Orlando (MCO) Gate 55
  • Paris, France (CDG)
  • Philadelphia (PHL) Terminals B/C
  • Phoenix (PHX) Gate A7 and B5
  • Raleigh / Durham (RDU) Terminal 2
  • San Francisco (SFO) Terminal 1
  • So Paulo (GRU)
  • St. Louis (STL) Concourse C (Only open Monday - Friday 5am-6:30pm)
  • Tampa (TPA) Gate 85
  • Washington Reagan (DCA) Terminal B & C
  • Buenos Aires (EZE) - In front of Gate 8 - Terminal A
Hours will vary by location, and we may limit the capacity and offerings due to CDC guidelines or local orders or restrictions.

Clubs reopening as service centers

These locations are open as service centers and are available to offer travel assistance:
  • Pittsburgh (PIT) Main Lobby
Hours vary by location and services like food and drinks, restrooms and shower facilities are temporarily discontinued.

Seating in these clubs is also not available at this time.

Temporarily closed Admirals Clubs

• Honolulu (HNL)
  • London Heathrow (LHR)
  • Miami (MIA) Gates E
  • Newark (EWR)
  • Philadelphia (PHL) Terminal A and F
  • Phoenix (PHX) Gate A19
  • Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (GIG)
  • Toronto, Canada (YYZ)
Flagship Lounge and Flagship First DiningExpandFlagship Lounges at these airports are temporarily closed. Flagship Lounge eligible customers are welcome to use the nearby Admirals Club in each location when it reopens on June 22.
  • Chicago (ORD)
  • Dallas / Fort Worth (DFW)
  • London Heathrow (LHR) International First Class Lounge
  • Los Angeles (LAX)
  • Miami (MIA)
  • New York Kennedy (JFK)
Flagship First Dining at these airports are temporarily closed:
  • DFW
  • LAX
  • MIA
  • JFK
Arrivals Lounge London (LHR)ExpandThe Arrivals lounge is temporarily closed.

The official notification from AA on 4 Jun 2020 (link):

American Airlines will begin reopening Admirals Club lounges in phases, beginning June 22, after making improvements to adapt the clubs and product offerings to reinforce the well-being of customers and everyone who works in the clubs. See post 61 for a recent Club experience.

The following locations (did) open June 22 with pre-packaged snack offerings and a full-service bar for customers to enjoy complimentary and premium beverages. Hours vary by location and capacity and offerings could be limited due to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines or local orders or restrictions. List updated 15 July 2020. Link to Club openings, changes.

As food and beverages are served again, these are discussed in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ug-2020-a.html

Food and drink service

As we begin to reopen, we'll have modified food and drink service. Here is what you can expect: (link to Club f&b thread)
  • Complimentary pre-packaged snacks
  • Disposable, single-use glassware
  • Full-service bar
  • Touchless menus with signage and QR codes. Physical menus will be available upon request.
  • Self-serve areas will remain closed for now.

.The following safety actions have been taken.
  • Plexiglass shields at reception and service desks.
  • Foot-operated door openers to enable touchless operation of restroom doors (where feasible).
  • Hand sanitizer stations for customers.
  • Signage and floor decals to remind customers to practice social distancing.
American will continue to adhere to CDC guidelines, use enhanced cleaning measures and provide limited food and beverage offerings to help ensure the well-being of customers and team members.

Link to archived 2020 posts from this thread.

Print Wikipost

Admirals Club / Lounges: Openings, Closures, etc. 2021-2022

Old Feb 17, 2021, 9:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Its a difficult choice. I'm trying to think of cities or hubs that I fly to or through where there isn't a good Amex lounge or Priority Pass lounge but an Admirals Club. ORD and BOS come to mind and frankly I have to throw in LAX because the CL there is in TBIT which is not convenient for T4 departures. The other downside to the CL is that they are departure lounges only. If I arrive early at a city, I've been known to cool my heels at an AC before a meeting or connection (often done if I'm flying to BOS to connect to Amtrak).
I'd probably keep it if I can pick up a few more friends to split the AF. Just makes the justification more difficult.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 9:50 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
There's still value in the AC membership via arrivals access and no 3hr restriction like Amex have - you can add to the fact that this particular Centurion will be packed from the start given the demographics of the region.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
Now that most of AA's hubs will have Centurion lounges, I hope they're forced to upgrade options a bit. I mostly connect through CLT and the AC just isn't competitive. Once the DCA location opens my Executive card is probably gone.
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Whelp, the long-term viability of my AC membership is now in question. According to Twitter user Rob Pegoraro, Amex is now building a Centurion Lounge at DCA - thanks to the new secure security arrangement that puts virtually all concessions inside of the secure area.

https://twitter.com/robpegoraro/stat...50553526824963
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
There's still value in the AC membership via arrivals access and no 3hr restriction like Amex have - you can add to the fact that this particular Centurion will be packed from the start given the demographics of the region.
Sure it would be nice having competitive F&B offerings at ACs, but try getting AA related help at the Centurion Lounge... just saying..
Old Feb 17, 2021, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Sure it would be nice having competitive F&B offerings at ACs, but try getting AA related help at the Centurion Lounge... just saying..
The CS assistance during IRROPs is definitely a good benefit and weighs on whether to keep a membership.

I would never expect Centurion level amenities, but surely the AC could bring their service standards closer to what DL offers. Of course, AC membership is cheaper and has a better guest policy, but I've been struck by the sheer number of in your face up-sell options in ACs vs SkyClubs. The food vending machine in CLT is really tacky...

Improvements along the lines of better buffet and better well liquor options would be enough IMO. Not everyone enjoys avocado toast all the time.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 12:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
The AC was moving to better food offerings pre COVID. Since COVID buffets in general are done and I'll leave it at that. The ACs could vary the food options a bit.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 1:14 pm

Location: Live: PWM/KBXM/BGR; Work: DCA/DFW/Everywhere; Play: LAS/MUC/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, mlife Noir, LEYE Gold
BIG NEWS

I just went to DCA C club and had a vodka soda. Everything seemed covid-normal until I took the first sip and realized that I was drinking out of a real glass! I didn't even care if it was clean. What a great way to start the weekend.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
With Hawaii traffic picking up, I'm surprised they haven't opened up the HNL AC yet.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 1:50 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
With Hawaii traffic picking up, I'm surprised they haven't opened up the HNL AC yet.
Isn't it a Sakura lounge disguised as an AC though?
Old Feb 19, 2021, 2:19 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
BIG NEWS

I just went to DCA C club and had a vodka soda. Everything seemed covid-normal until I took the first sip and realized that I was drinking out of a real glass! I didn't even care if it was clean. What a great way to start the weekend.
Related to DCA, has AA guided when the new Admirals Club in the new concourse will open? National are guiding an earlier opening than anticipated.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 2:52 pm

Location: Live: PWM/KBXM/BGR; Work: DCA/DFW/Everywhere; Play: LAS/MUC/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, mlife Noir, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
Related to DCA, has AA guided when the new Admirals Club in the new concourse will open? National are guiding an earlier opening than anticipated.
I haven't seen anything, but I wouldn't be shocked if it's not ready to open when the new terminal opens in April. Every time I fly out of DCA, the new terminal looks better and better -- jetbridges are now attached and it looks pretty much complete on the outside. Unrelated (and relatively trivial), there are new overhead signs in the ticketing hall (the ones that have arrows pointing you to the escalators, etc.), and they are now in a much more visually appealing font than the DCA standard font. This feels like a new change in the last week or so.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
Now that most of AA's hubs will have Centurion lounges, I hope they're forced to upgrade options a bit. I mostly connect through CLT and the AC just isn't competitive. Once the DCA location opens my Executive card is probably gone.
Is it just me...I find the Centurion Lounge in Charlotte to be average at best. The food options never change much, and they are very light on variety. I even prefer the coffee in the AC.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 5:13 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
My last trip through an AC at DFW (a month ago or so) paled in comparison to a stop in ATL on DL a few days later. Hopefully they can get back to additional service soon. The DL people really put on a spread in ATL, not as much at DTW.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 9:22 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Stopped by the ATL AC last week. The staff (as well as I) have no idea of why this club is not reopen to guests. The staff said they have no shortage of members coming into to see if the club is open. Furthermore, they've now been told there's no definitive date for re-opening. They understandably complained of boredom and not have passenger interaction.

To their great credit they have coffee to go. Also, after I left the club one of the front desk members sought me out in the terminal. She put me on an earlier flight leaving for CLT in about 10 minutes that had open seats in F.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by safari ari
Isn't it a Sakura lounge disguised as an AC though?
It seems to be co-branded, and I believe (but not 100% sure) that at least one of the agents at the counter is an AA agent.

I like this lounge, and wish it would reopen, like weeks ago.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K;33051946[b
]It seems to be co-branded, and I believe (but not 100% sure) that at least one of the agents at the counter is an AA agent.

I like this lounge, and wish it would reopen, like weeks ago.
It is.. and since it's shared space, it has the best free F&B offerings of any domestic AC..

Last edited by teemuflyer; Feb 21, 2021 at 1:48 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.