Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Admirals Club / Lounges: Openings, Closures, etc. 2021-2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 1, 2020, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AAway
Admirals Clubs began opening 22 June 2020. (Flagship Lounges and Flagship First Dining have no immediate plans for reopening.)

Link to AA lounge changes and updates page

As of May 7, 2021:

An update on our lounges

Admirals Club® lounges are reopening in phases with new improvements to reinforce your well-being.

We adhere to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines and use enhanced cleaning measures throughout our clubs.

You're required to wear a face covering in the club, but you may briefly lift or lower it while eating or drinking.

Reopened clubs

• Atlanta (ATL)
  • Austin (AUS) – Gate 22
  • Boston (BOS) – Terminal B
  • Charlotte (CLT) – Concourses B and C
  • Chicago O'Hare (ORD) – Concourse H/K; Concourse G (re-opened August 2021); and Concourse L (re-opened July 2021)
  • Dallas / Fort Worth (DFW) – Terminals A, B, C, D, and E
  • Denver (DEN) – Concourse A
  • Houston Intercontinental (IAH) – Terminal A
  • Los Angeles (LAX) – Terminal 4, Terminal 5 and Eagle Regional Terminal
  • Mexico City / CDMX (MEX)
  • Miami (MIA) – Gates D15, D30
  • Nashville (BNA) – Concourse C
  • New York Kennedy (JFK) – Terminal 8 (in the Flagship® Lounge)
  • New York LaGuardia (LGA) – Concourse D
  • Orange County (SNA) – Gate 8
  • Orlando (MCO) – Gate 55
  • Paris, France (CDG)
  • Philadelphia (PHL) – Terminals B/C
  • Phoenix (PHX) – Gate A7 and B5
  • Raleigh / Durham (RDU) – Terminal 2
  • San Francisco (SFO) – Terminal 1
  • São Paulo (GRU)
  • St. Louis (STL) – Concourse C (Only open Monday - Friday 5am-6:30pm)
  • Tampa (TPA) – Gate 85
  • Washington Reagan (DCA) – Terminal B & C
  • Buenos Aires (EZE) - In front of Gate 8 - Terminal A
Hours will vary by location, and we may limit the capacity and offerings due to CDC guidelines or local orders or restrictions.

Clubs reopening as service centers

These locations are open as service centers and are available to offer travel assistance:
  • Pittsburgh (PIT) – Main Lobby
Hours vary by location and services like food and drinks, restrooms and shower facilities are temporarily discontinued.

Seating in these clubs is also not available at this time.

Temporarily closed Admirals Clubs

• Honolulu (HNL)
  • London Heathrow (LHR)
  • Miami (MIA) – Gates E
  • Newark (EWR)
  • Philadelphia (PHL) – Terminal A and F
  • Phoenix (PHX) – Gate A19
  • Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (GIG)
  • Toronto, Canada (YYZ)
Flagship® Lounge and Flagship® First DiningExpandFlagship® Lounges at these airports are temporarily closed. Flagship® Lounge eligible customers are welcome to use the nearby Admirals Club® in each location when it reopens on June 22.
  • Chicago (ORD)
  • Dallas / Fort Worth (DFW)
  • London Heathrow (LHR) – International First Class Lounge
  • Los Angeles (LAX)
  • Miami (MIA)
  • New York Kennedy (JFK)
Flagship® First Dining at these airports are temporarily closed:
  • DFW
  • LAX
  • MIA
  • JFK
Arrivals Lounge – London (LHR)ExpandThe Arrivals lounge is temporarily closed.

The official notification from AA on 4 Jun 2020 (link):

“American Airlines will begin reopening Admirals Club lounges in phases, beginning June 22, after making improvements to adapt the clubs and product offerings to reinforce the well-being of customers and everyone who works in the clubs. See post 61 for a recent Club experience.

The following locations (did) open June 22 with pre-packaged snack offerings and a full-service bar for customers to enjoy complimentary and premium beverages. Hours vary by location and capacity and offerings could be limited due to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines or local orders or restrictions. List updated 15 July 2020. Link to Club openings, changes.

As food and beverages are served again, these are discussed in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ug-2020-a.html

Food and drink service

As we begin to reopen, we'll have modified food and drink service. Here is what you can expect: (link to Club f&b thread)
  • Complimentary pre-packaged snacks
  • Disposable, single-use glassware
  • Full-service bar
  • Touchless menus with signage and QR codes. Physical menus will be available upon request.
  • Self-serve areas will remain closed for now.

.The following safety actions have been taken.
  • Plexiglass shields at reception and service desks.
  • Foot-operated door openers to enable touchless operation of restroom doors (where feasible).
  • Hand sanitizer stations for customers.
  • Signage and floor decals to remind customers to practice social distancing.
American will continue to adhere to CDC guidelines, use enhanced cleaning measures and provide limited food and beverage offerings to help ensure the well-being of customers and team members.”

Link to archived 2020 posts from this thread.

Print Wikipost

Admirals Club / Lounges: Openings, Closures, etc. 2021-2022

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2021, 3:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Yes. If you wanted to have 32 of your best friends join you at the AC for a fiesta, you could simply make 10 of them AUs. You and each of the 10 AUs could then guest in 2 guests each. Same time, same club, whatever you wanted. No additional cost.
Provided all 33 of you had boarding passes for a flight that day. 😀

James
Old Apr 24, 2021, 4:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Provided all 33 of you had boarding passes for a flight that day. 😀

James
you could get even more if you guested family’s with a ton of children.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 5:35 pm

Curious - with the most liberal credit card admittance policy ( no au fees and use of admirals clubs )compared to Delta and United , were the ACs obnoxiously crowded pre covid ?
Old Apr 24, 2021, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by enviroian
I applaud them offering other items than rice krispie treats and cookies but I wish they would offer a healthier alternative than avocado toast.
The glazed donut holes aren’t healthy enough?

Pretty sure I’ve also seen oatmeal offered in the mornings in some of the ACs.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 6:23 am

Programs: AA EP
I remember hearing that the HBL lounge was not going to return — at least with any AA personnel. As you know HNL is technically JAL so I would expect that if it did reopen to AA fliers, it would be under JALs timetable.

from a colleague, the AA AC personnel have either retired, taken a job at the gate(s), and I one so believe moved to the mainland to take a position.

Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
Any news on HNL?

Seems odd that it'd still be closed given the current & expected influx of travelers.

[If I had to guess, a combination of leisure pax that AA don't particularly care for & JAL not taking on any of the cost when they can't/aren't flying there.]
Old Apr 25, 2021, 11:01 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
AUs on the Citi card only get access to Admirals Clubs. Only the primary account holder gets reciprocal access. Admirals Club is written above the account number on the back of the Primary card and is absent from the AU cards. AS will confirm you are the primary account holder before granting access to the ALs.
Spoiler

James
So an AU is out of luck at an Alaska lounge unless with primary card person?
Old Apr 25, 2021, 11:23 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by rkh29
So an AU is out of luck at an Alaska lounge unless with primary card person?
Correct.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 5:16 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
I remember hearing that the HBL lounge was not going to return — at least with any AA personnel. As you know HNL is technically JAL so I would expect that if it did reopen to AA fliers, it would be under JALs timetable.

from a colleague, the AA AC personnel have either retired, taken a job at the gate(s), and I one so believe moved to the mainland to take a position.
JL/AA need to start looking at the HNL lounge at a oneworld lounge. Bring AS and QF into the mix and spread out the cost. AA/AS have more combined seats to Hawaii this summer than United. Think about that.

I know the history of the Admirals Club, Qantas Pub, JAL Saukura lounge and various combinations and locations. I know QF took over the old DL lounge in the garden a few years ago. But the location of the Sakura lounge really is the best. Yes it needs a refurb, showers, and restrooms inside the lounge, but the physical location above the central concourse and provide the best access to various gates and offers nice view of the garden and through to the planes on the ramp. HNL gates are on a CUTE system so a plane could end up arriving anywhere in the overseas terminal (yes the airport and airlines try to keep consistent assignments, but those have changed over time. Giving up a lounge in HNL puts AA at a strategic disadvantage relative to UA, HA, and to a much lesser degree than DL.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 4:25 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HNL
JL/AA need to start looking at the HNL lounge at a oneworld lounge. Bring AS and QF into the mix and spread out the cost. AA/AS have more combined seats to Hawaii this summer than United. Think about that..
Would not work for AA domestic flyers as OW lounges are off limits. As an AC they have reciprocal relationships with AS and QF members already, so let's hope they figure this out.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 9:39 am

Programs: Independent
How busy is the CLT lounge these days? Particularly on a Wednesday afternoon?
Old Apr 26, 2021, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Cloudship
How busy is the CLT lounge these days? Particularly on a Wednesday afternoon?
I have visited both of the CLT clubs multiple times since last fall and mostly the B Lounge near capacity during afternoon peak departure hours ( on some occasions there was a line ), C Lounge is not empty but you could find seats.

Generally at those times, the Chick-fil-a and Burger King in the main food court had 50-60 people in line.
CLT is really crowded these days similar to pre-COVID days.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 1:13 pm

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
I have visited both of the CLT clubs multiple times since last fall and mostly the B Lounge near capacity during afternoon peak departure hours ( on some occasions there was a line ), C Lounge is not empty but you could find seats.

Generally at those times, the Chick-fil-a and Burger King in the main food court had 50-60 people in line.
CLT is really crowded these days similar to pre-COVID days.
That's what I was afraid of. Thanks!
Old Apr 26, 2021, 10:39 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Would not work for AA domestic flyers as OW lounges are off limits. As an AC they have reciprocal relationships with AS and QF members already, so let's hope they figure this out.
I was unclear in my thought. I meant oneworld in the "royal we" sense. That is get all the oneworld carriers to contribute to the lounge. Still keep it as an AC and that would allow AL members lounge access.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
BNA AC is expanding club hours beginning next month. They will close at 8pm on weeknights instead of 5pm. Also opening in some capacity on the weekends.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier

This is terrible news. They were incredible staff, often emailing eligible pax pre-flight encouraging them to stop in for a visit. I loved this lounge for the self-served and upgraded offerings. If this lounge does not reopen to pax this summer, AA will be the worst of the three majors because they wont have a lounge option at all. Cant even buy a day pass to enter the other carriers without a boarding pass.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.