Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Admirals Club / Lounges: Openings, Closures, etc. 2021-2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 1, 2020, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AAway
Admirals Clubs began opening 22 June 2020. (Flagship Lounges and Flagship First Dining have no immediate plans for reopening.)

Link to AA lounge changes and updates page

As of May 7, 2021:

An update on our lounges

Admirals Club® lounges are reopening in phases with new improvements to reinforce your well-being.

We adhere to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines and use enhanced cleaning measures throughout our clubs.

You're required to wear a face covering in the club, but you may briefly lift or lower it while eating or drinking.

Reopened clubs

• Atlanta (ATL)
  • Austin (AUS) – Gate 22
  • Boston (BOS) – Terminal B
  • Charlotte (CLT) – Concourses B and C
  • Chicago O'Hare (ORD) – Concourse H/K; Concourse G (re-opened August 2021); and Concourse L (re-opened July 2021)
  • Dallas / Fort Worth (DFW) – Terminals A, B, C, D, and E
  • Denver (DEN) – Concourse A
  • Houston Intercontinental (IAH) – Terminal A
  • Los Angeles (LAX) – Terminal 4, Terminal 5 and Eagle Regional Terminal
  • Mexico City / CDMX (MEX)
  • Miami (MIA) – Gates D15, D30
  • Nashville (BNA) – Concourse C
  • New York Kennedy (JFK) – Terminal 8 (in the Flagship® Lounge)
  • New York LaGuardia (LGA) – Concourse D
  • Orange County (SNA) – Gate 8
  • Orlando (MCO) – Gate 55
  • Paris, France (CDG)
  • Philadelphia (PHL) – Terminals B/C
  • Phoenix (PHX) – Gate A7 and B5
  • Raleigh / Durham (RDU) – Terminal 2
  • San Francisco (SFO) – Terminal 1
  • Săo Paulo (GRU)
  • St. Louis (STL) – Concourse C (Only open Monday - Friday 5am-6:30pm)
  • Tampa (TPA) – Gate 85
  • Washington Reagan (DCA) – Terminal B & C
  • Buenos Aires (EZE) - In front of Gate 8 - Terminal A
Hours will vary by location, and we may limit the capacity and offerings due to CDC guidelines or local orders or restrictions.

Clubs reopening as service centers

These locations are open as service centers and are available to offer travel assistance:
  • Pittsburgh (PIT) – Main Lobby
Hours vary by location and services like food and drinks, restrooms and shower facilities are temporarily discontinued.

Seating in these clubs is also not available at this time.

Temporarily closed Admirals Clubs

• Honolulu (HNL)
  • London Heathrow (LHR)
  • Miami (MIA) – Gates E
  • Newark (EWR)
  • Philadelphia (PHL) – Terminal A and F
  • Phoenix (PHX) – Gate A19
  • Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (GIG)
  • Toronto, Canada (YYZ)
Flagship® Lounge and Flagship® First DiningExpandFlagship® Lounges at these airports are temporarily closed. Flagship® Lounge eligible customers are welcome to use the nearby Admirals Club® in each location when it reopens on June 22.
  • Chicago (ORD)
  • Dallas / Fort Worth (DFW)
  • London Heathrow (LHR) – International First Class Lounge
  • Los Angeles (LAX)
  • Miami (MIA)
  • New York Kennedy (JFK)
Flagship® First Dining at these airports are temporarily closed:
  • DFW
  • LAX
  • MIA
  • JFK
Arrivals Lounge – London (LHR)ExpandThe Arrivals lounge is temporarily closed.

The official notification from AA on 4 Jun 2020 (link):

“American Airlines will begin reopening Admirals Club lounges in phases, beginning June 22, after making improvements to adapt the clubs and product offerings to reinforce the well-being of customers and everyone who works in the clubs. See post 61 for a recent Club experience.

The following locations (did) open June 22 with pre-packaged snack offerings and a full-service bar for customers to enjoy complimentary and premium beverages. Hours vary by location and capacity and offerings could be limited due to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines or local orders or restrictions. List updated 15 July 2020. Link to Club openings, changes.

As food and beverages are served again, these are discussed in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ug-2020-a.html

Food and drink service

As we begin to reopen, we'll have modified food and drink service. Here is what you can expect: (link to Club f&b thread)
  • Complimentary pre-packaged snacks
  • Disposable, single-use glassware
  • Full-service bar
  • Touchless menus with signage and QR codes. Physical menus will be available upon request.
  • Self-serve areas will remain closed for now.

.The following safety actions have been taken.
  • Plexiglass shields at reception and service desks.
  • Foot-operated door openers to enable touchless operation of restroom doors (where feasible).
  • Hand sanitizer stations for customers.
  • Signage and floor decals to remind customers to practice social distancing.
American will continue to adhere to CDC guidelines, use enhanced cleaning measures and provide limited food and beverage offerings to help ensure the well-being of customers and team members.”

Link to archived 2020 posts from this thread.

Print Wikipost

Admirals Club / Lounges: Openings, Closures, etc. 2021-2022

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2022, 10:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by FlyFreakquently
PHL and LAX are my two main airports, so I can definitely give some insight.
The AC is pretty barebones. If you're looking for anything more than a nice, quiet place to sit with complimentary coffee and light bites, you're going to be disappointed. With that being said, it beats out sitting in a bustling airport terminal for the same time any day of the week. The coffee is decent, and while the snack choices after breakfast are uninspired, to say the least, I think I'd rather eat free/unlimited build-your-own mezze than a poorly made panini that costs 18 dollars.

One thing I will give credit to AA for is the AC breakfast selection. I'm consistently impressed by how tasty and varied the options are. Scrambled eggs with various toppings, assorted breakfast baked goods (bagels, english muffins, muffins), fresh fruit, different greek yogurts, waffles with syrup/berries, hard boiled eggs. I actually might consider the AC over the Centurion for my AM flights in PHL just because the food is so consistent and is simple. Don't get me wrong, I'm a sucker for an elevated meal, but at 7:30am, I'll take waffles and eggs over chickpea hash and toast with compote.

So yes, if you're flying that many times per year, it pays for itself. Day passes are atrociously expensive, so you'll be saving quite a bit. One thing I will say is if you plan on flying to places with Centurion lounges, it could be worth it to get the Amex Platinum, esp for the free drinks (very expensive and much more limited in the AC). Let me know if you have any more questions.
Woah, I completely forgot about Centurion lounges so I looked more closely into this:
1. LAX lounge in TBIT is currently closed and there seems to be no reopening date. It's very close to terminal 4 too with the new connecting buildings for a 5 minute walk, and it actually serves all complimentary drinks.
2. PHL lounge is in terminal A-West which is approximately 10 minutes from terminal B where domestic AA fly's out. Seems to be worth the walk? I normally go through TSA on terminal B, but can I go through terminal A instead?
3. Cost is $700 for Amex Platinum vs. $600 for AC annual membership. I wouldn't use anything for Amex Platinum except for lounge access.
If it wasn't for the LAX lounge being closed, it seems like Centurion is better for me in my LAX/PHL situation with just a little bit more cost? Thanks again for the feedback!
Old Jan 21, 2022, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Raralith
Woah, I completely forgot about Centurion lounges so I looked more closely into this:
1. LAX lounge in TBIT is currently closed and there seems to be no reopening date. It's very close to terminal 4 too with the new connecting buildings for a 5 minute walk, and it actually serves all complimentary drinks.
2. PHL lounge is in terminal A-West which is approximately 10 minutes from terminal B where domestic AA fly's out. Seems to be worth the walk? I normally go through TSA on terminal B, but can I go through terminal A instead?
3. Cost is $700 for Amex Platinum vs. $600 for AC annual membership. I wouldn't use anything for Amex Platinum except for lounge access.
If it wasn't for the LAX lounge being closed, it seems like Centurion is better for me in my LAX/PHL situation with just a little bit more cost? Thanks again for the feedback!
Three things to keep in mind -
  • You also get a $200 annual flight credit that you can use for AA incidentals.
  • You also get Priority Pass (club) access.
  • On some occasions, buying tickets through Amex Int flight program can save you some good money.

So that might add some more value for you with the Amex.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Thanks for the additional info for Amex Global321. I looked further into Priority Pass for LAX since Centurion is still closed there, and KAL Lounge in TBIT is available that's close to terminal 4 but it has restricted hours between 11AM to 5PM so that doesn't work for me either. Also, reading back on prior threads here @ FT, AC has really been stripped post pandemic so FlyFreakquently's earlier post, it's pretty barebones which is sad because it looked awesome pre-pandemic. At this point though, I may still buy the AC membership just to tide me over so I don't have to wait at the gate.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 4:23 pm

Thanks for the additional info for Amex Global321. I looked further into Priority Pass for LAX since Centurion is still closed there, and KAL Lounge in TBIT is available that's close to terminal 4 but it has restricted hours between 11AM to 5PM so that doesn't work for me either. Also, reading back on prior threads here @ FT, AC has really been stripped post pandemic so FlyFreakquently's earlier post, it's pretty barebones which is sad because it looked awesome pre-pandemic. At this point though, I may still buy the AC membership just to tide me over so I don't have to wait at the gate.
Just curious what did ACs offer pre-pandemic that it no longer offers today that it's making folks consider it awesome before and barebones now?
Old Jan 21, 2022, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA-Platinum Pro
Charlotte (CLT) Admirals CLub

Originally Posted by JDiver
CLT / Charlotte Admirals Club C/D will close for renovations 10 January 2022 and will be closed until sometime ~April. The smaller B Club remains open, and there’s a Centurion lounge. (Sources include CLT Club staff.)
I was in CLT last week and the B Club staff indicated that the "Big Club" (C/D) won't be reopening until May or June. Of course, the B club was packed both times I tried it (Wednesday morning & Friday afternoon).

JWP
Old Jan 21, 2022, 5:17 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Sorry not too familiar with CDG AC but does anyone know if you can use it if you're flying out on Iberia (Schegen flights)? Cannot tell if the Terminals are connected post security or not
Old Jan 21, 2022, 5:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Just curious what did ACs offer pre-pandemic that it no longer offers today that it's making folks consider it awesome before and barebones now?
That's really a good question. Wasn't always the same or completely predictable, and seldom if ever awesome, but I would say better than the mezze bar. Or maybe I've just grown tired of it and am ready for a change.

Sometimes little more than the veggies/cheese/grapes that have largely returned. There was usually a coos coos or farrow salad that was pretty good. At some point that changed to quinoa salad. Which I guess changed to the current lentil salad.

But before the loads caved in they were on an experimental "menu improvement" kick. Often a more elaborate build your own salad, or build your own taco,or a build your own baked potato, Frequently a soup or two in the evening as now, but more variety, or maybe pasta and sauce in some form. A few one-offs like min-BLT's. Oh, and the mini-brownies. They were small but awesome.

But still the reason to go there is it is a quieter place to wait. Not all would agree, but if I'm not getting home to DFW too late (and they are no longer replenishing food), I wind down faster if I stop there and am not looking to eat when I get to the house.
jamabam likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by jamabam
Fair question. I think it's more a matter of the improvements of other lounge options relative to the ACs. For example, 10 years ago the AMEX Centurion lounges didn't exist and most third-party Priority Pass lounges offered the same or less amenities than the average AC. Additionally, domestically, the Priority Pass network wasn't as strong (with less international airline lounges participating and no restaurant affiliates). Today there are far more/better non-AC lounge options compared to 10 years ago, making the Admirals Clubs seem slightly less attractive overall.

-FlyerBeek
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 7:39 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
...it's pretty barebones which is sad because it looked awesome pre-pandemic.
The primary benefit is the escape from the crowded terminal. As of today, the offering is not much different. If you are fine with well/"value brand" spirits and wine and domestic beer, you'll enjoy some free drinks. Otherwise, you'll pay the same price for popular/premium options as you would at the airport bar, and the membership basically reverts to the escape from the crowds again. There is (and always has been) an upper limit to the complimentary food offering in terms of appeal, as there are prepared dishes promoted for sale as well.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by CathayMVP
Sorry not too familiar with CDG AC but does anyone know if you can use it if you're flying out on Iberia (Schegen flights)? Cannot tell if the Terminals are connected post security or not
Unfortunately, the AA Lounge in Terminal 2A/C are only connected airside with non-Schengen A or C gates.
Iberia uses Terminal 2B/D which is a separate concourse.

By the way, if you find a way to enter Terminal 2A/C airside with an Iberia boarding pass, you would be able to use the AC but with clearing an additional round of security + passport control twice it might not be worth the hassle.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by jamabam
showers, for one thing
Old Feb 7, 2022, 7:20 am

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Admirals Club GRU

Wanted to share my experience at the Admirals Club at GRU.

- nice food selection
​​​​​​- showers were available
​​​​​​- you can serve yourself but with gloves
- alcoholic beverages served by an attendant

BERGBRLY likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 7:56 am

Is the EWR Admirals lounge open? Flying on Alaska air in mid March and Alaska doesn't have a lounge at EWR says we can use AA.
Thank you in advance.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by jfga2014
Is the EWR Admirals lounge open? Flying on Alaska air in mid March and Alaska doesn't have a lounge at EWR says we can use AA.
Thank you in advance.
Yes, it's open. Was there last weekend and it is always nice to get out of that toilet of a terminal. Perfectly decent for an AC.
thunderdeacon likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 10:29 am

Programs: AA, Hertz, Hyatt, Hilton
Is the MIA D-15 lounge open? It was "temporarily" closed a few weeks ago. (And I think I recall seeing someone else stating the same thing more recently...?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.