FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Admirals Club / Lounges: Openings, Closures, etc. 2021-2022 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2018806-admirals-club-lounges-openings-closures-etc-2021-2022-a.html)

u01sss3 Oct 14, 2021 3:15 pm

An etiquette question if you don't mind. I'm from the UK where it's not customary to tip in lounges. Is the done thing to tip servers or bar staff after each serving or once at the end of the lounge visit?

Visconti Oct 14, 2021 4:33 pm

RE: Lounge access

For LAX - HND where the first leg LAX - DFW at 1:30 am, and DFW to HND at 12:00 pm. Assuming the itinerary is in F and EXP, access to FFD (assuming it's open) on the evening before the first leg? Access to QF F?

Thanks.

JJeffrey Oct 14, 2021 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Visconti (Post 33645519)
RE: Lounge access

For LAX - HND where the first leg LAX - DFW at 1:30 am, and DFW to HND at 12:00 pm. Assuming the itinerary is in F and EXP, access to FFD (assuming it's open) on the evening before the first leg? Access to QF F?

Thanks.

Yes to both, I've never had a problem accessing any lounge in SFO or LAX before a redeye to DFW (an then on to Asia).

Below is the correct thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...=#post31531158

JJeffrey Oct 14, 2021 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by u01sss3 (Post 33645301)
An etiquette question if you don't mind. I'm from the UK where it's not customary to tip in lounges. Is the done thing to tip servers or bar staff after each serving or once at the end of the lounge visit?

Really doesn't matter and is fine either way. If you're ordering a few rounds then there's nothing wrong at all with just tipping them once before you leave.

NYC Flyer Oct 14, 2021 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 33645695)
Really doesn't matter and is fine either way. If you're ordering a few rounds then there's nothing wrong at all with just tipping them once before you leave.

Agree. Unlike say, a restaurant where the expectation is very standardized in the US, the bartenders at the clubs understand travelers are from different places, may or may not have cash left, etc. For the most part, they are going to serve you the way they are (hopefully well), regardless of gratutity. Sometimes I tip each drink, sometimes $5 the first drink then nothing after, sometimes $10 or more at the end, depending on length of stay. Across carriers, I find the staff very appreciative when a tip is offered, but pretty nonchalant when it's not. No need to overthink it or fret if you are without a couple of quid...

For some reason, perhaps not logical, I see tippng less appropriate in a carrier-operated premium class lounge (VS Clubhouse, Flagship Lounge, etc vs the AC, Plaza Premium, Amex, etc). Perhaps I ought to reconsider, but for some reason I distinguish these in my head when it comes to gratuities.

carlosdca Oct 14, 2021 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by u01sss3 (Post 33645301)

THere are no servers (those that take orders at your table or chair and come back with food) that I know of at ACs?

As far as the bar, yes tip. I'm not sure about tipping at the end as the bar tender might think I won't tip at all and his attitude, mood or professionalism may get affected.
I would tip after each drink or at the beginning.

Brandinho1 Oct 14, 2021 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer (Post 33645148)
I think you mean access on a business ticket...entry to this lounge on a business ticket actually predates the limited time expanded access announced in April (and will likely survive it).

Nice video. Have never visited and interesting to see what the MEX lounge looks like.

Correct. I am One World Sapphire so that is what got me in on an economy ticket after further reviewing the entry page on AA.

NYC Flyer Oct 14, 2021 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by carlosdca (Post 33646110)
THere are no servers (those that take orders at your table or chair and come back with food) that I know of at ACs?

As far as the bar, yes tip. I'm not sure about tipping at the end as the bar tender might think I won't tip at all and his attitude, mood or professionalism may get affected.
I would tip after each drink or at the beginning.

At some point a roving server may stop by your seat and ask if you'd like a drink. In my experience, the propensity of a single patron to tip does not affect the attitude, mood or professionalism of an AC staffer (qualities are either present or not).

uxb Oct 23, 2021 7:35 pm

Anyone else randomly receive two free day passes in their account this morning?

_kurt Oct 24, 2021 9:37 am

Originally Posted by uxb (Post 33669288)

Yes, with over a year of validity. I looked for an email from AA but didn’t find anything. Hope they stick.

safari ari Oct 25, 2021 9:57 am

Originally Posted by _kurt (Post 33670313)
Yes, with over a year of validity. I looked for an email from AA but didn’t find anything. Hope they stick.

Where, in your wallet?

_kurt Oct 25, 2021 11:54 am

Originally Posted by safari ari (Post 33672739)
Where, in your wallet?

Yes, in Wallet under “Coupons and passes”. I was a long-time paid member until I let it expire earlier this year. Maybe it’s an effort to welcome back former members? I checked the Wallet of a family member who is also Gold but has never been a club member and there was nothing.

uxb Oct 25, 2021 11:58 am

Originally Posted by safari ari (Post 33672739)
Where, in your wallet?

Yes. I was never an AC member, but I sit at 9903 EQD and 113000 EQM. I’ll have EXP by mid November in time for my 21st Anniversary as an AAdvantage member. :D

uxb Oct 27, 2021 8:56 pm

Mystery solved!

Apparently, if you have a CitiBusiness Platinum Select Mastercard, then cardholders were awarded two AC passes good through 27 October 2022. The notification came today, but the passes started hitting accounts over the weekend.

Happy Oct 30, 2021 12:14 pm

Anyone knows the situation at CDG? Since AA closed the Admiral Club at CDG, does that mean no lounge to use when flying AA business?