Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Doug Parker Flies Southwest and Gets Into a Conversation About Race

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Doug Parker Flies Southwest and Gets Into a Conversation About Race

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2020, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by flyerCO
WN stopped drink/snack service.
Yes, but their seats are more comfortable and their flights are more frequent and reliable. Moreover, flying on a packed AA flight is more risky than on WN, which is limiting its bookings to 60% of capacity. It's pretty bad when an airline CEO won't eat his own cooking, so to speak.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Why was he flying WN. Do they have pretzels? Why was he going to Panama City.

Talk about completely missing the point....
Old Jun 2, 2020, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by fotographer
just wondering why the rush was to get to Panama City in the first place?.... I am sure it had nothing to do with anything AA related
and it was kind of him not to bump a passenger? really Mr. Parker..? you know there is something called a jump seat?

but I digress... its because SouthWest, has better seats/ and they offer drinks and a snack.. something AA seems to be lacking at this moment..
Is he qualified to sit in a jump seat?
GlobalMatt likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 7:46 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Everyone here.. sorry.. I was just trying to have a bit of fun with the article.. nothing serious..
I have no interest or concern on Mr. Parker;s actions.. after all.. we all have our lives to live to do as we wish
once again sorry
Old Jun 3, 2020, 8:34 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by mvoight
With AA blocking at least one seat in F for the #2 FA (I'm not sure if one is blocked in the back for another FA or not) to allow more distancing in the jump seats, this is likely moot in this Coronavirus era.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 10:15 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
A most interesting read on the AA Newsroom page.

"A message on current events "
Tuesday, June 02, 2020, 12:45 PM

"We thought it would be meaningful to share this note Chairman and CEO Doug Parker sent to American’s team members this past weekend."

"A quick confession — I flew Southwest yesterday. I needed to get to Panama City, FL and all of our seats were sold out! But I’m glad I did, because I had a remarkable encounter."

Full text of Doug Parker's note:

Newsroom - A message on current events - American Airlines Group, Inc.

(I've also read some pretty positive comments on a non-AA pilot forum)
Gerbs likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 11:09 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
Doug, your thoughtful letter and action has undone a some of the brand damage American Airlines has inflicted on our flying family. We have experienced impersonal service at AA's hand. We have been delayed and left stranded overnight without care. We have been treated like cattle in a manner AS and BA have never. I feel a bit better about AA now. Maybe you aren't a just a callous airline of cold and impersonal folks. Wow. You had me fooled. My last experience was so bad I swore off AA for good. There is hope at the top.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 9:51 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The posts regarding the removal of a Black man and five passengers supporting him on AA 1931 on 31 May 2020 have been moved to https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...pport-him.html.

Old Jun 4, 2020, 11:44 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
I briefly met Dougie at an America West at the (ex) Tempe HDQ. He struck me as a sincere honest person
For one thing, I joked how my personal HP collection had many items that an HP "time capsule" they were burying didn't have.

I started disliking him after they bought US. Things started going downhill fast
And like most folks, I have a disdain for the "new" (HP-<US) controlled AA and do feel he has to be a big factor in the negative changes. But I do remember that as a person, he really didn't seem that bad.

Originally Posted by mvoight
My time at AA is all pre 9-11 so I can't really speak for today.
The FAA would allow any employee to fly (cockpit) jumpseat. AA (as most other airlines) was a little more strict.
I will say that I, as a "Navigation Analyst" at SOC (System Operations Control ... basically the worldwide nerve center for AA ... now called IOC) flew cockpit jumpseat on 4 flights. To/from the ABQ Balloon show only because I had no chance as a non-rev, so I took "fam (familiarization) trips. To/From GUC per my boss to experience a pilot's view of flying with the FMC (Flight Management Computer ... which the database I helped maintain co-ordinated with).
Each trip was pre-requested, with an authorization letter provided by the DFW Chief Pilot. The specific flight's Captain had the authority to deny passage in the cockpit (none did)
Bob Crandall was known to give up his coveted seat in 5B (727 & MD-80 First, last row aisle) and ride cockpit jumpseat instead if his seat was needed to accommodate an extra passenger ... even if the last passenger loaded was a non-rev !!.

Cockpit jumpseat seats are "non-operational" (you can't fly the plane from them). Other then "authorized", there is no qualification to fly in them (you will be briefed on your oxygen mask & "sterile cockpit" requirements).
Cabin (Flt Attendant) jumpseats are operational positions. As such (contrary to what most FT Armchair Airline analysts would think), they are more restricted than the cockpit jumpseats. You must be trained on how to operate the emergency exit and equipment. A pre-flight briefing can not accomplish this.
SPN Lifer, cmd320 and 24left like this.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 7:09 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by diver858
https://viewfromthewing.com/doug-par...ion-about-race

First saw this posted in the WN forum, believe it is required reading for those of us who are no fans of Dougie as AAL's CEO, but perhaps should respect him as a person.

Originally Posted by 24left
A most interesting read on the AA Newsroom page.

"A message on current events "
Tuesday, June 02, 2020, 12:45 PM

"We thought it would be meaningful to share this note Chairman and CEO Doug Parker sent to American’s team members this past weekend."
"A quick confession — I flew Southwest yesterday. I needed to get to Panama City, FL and all of our seats were sold out! But I’m glad I did, because I had a remarkable encounter."

Full text of Doug Parker's note:

Newsroom - A message on current events - American Airlines Group, Inc.

(I've also read some pretty positive comments on a non-AA pilot forum)

Further to Doug's experience as posted by OP a year ago, and then his memo to the AA team, he posted this photo and note on his IG page:

renila and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 7:58 am

Programs: AA EXP
Oh that's really nice that they remained in touch.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 8:41 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum
Virtue Signaling, Doug.
Could have benefited more by reading, From Worst to First: Behind the Scenes of Continental's Remarkable Comeback 1st Edition
by Gordon Bethune (Author)
Old Jun 7, 2021, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by bl-ord
Virtue Signaling, Doug.
Could have benefited more by reading, From Worst to First: Behind the Scenes of Continental's Remarkable Comeback 1st Edition
He’s busy penning the sequel, from First to Worst. Behind the Scenes of AA’s remarkable nosedive.
IADCAflyer and FlyDeltaMD88 like this.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 7:38 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by bl-ord
Virtue Signaling, Doug.
Gordon Bethune was well liked, and I admired him a lot, but the 1990's were far different than the present day airline business, or even the years immediately following 9/11.
BWISkyGuy likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by PHL
Gordon Bethune was well liked, and I admired him a lot, but the 1990's were far different than the present day airline business, or even the years immediately following 9/11.
Yes, they were far more competitive where you actually needed someone who had a clue what they were doing to be in the driver’s seat.
bl-ord likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.