Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Cancel flight to get refund/voucher, then potential buy back same flights at lower $

Cancel flight to get refund/voucher, then potential buy back same flights at lower $

Old May 27, 20, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Hello. I skimmed several pages and did not find an answer, my searching skills did not lead to a result either.

I purchased a flight for my wife and I on March 16 for a July wedding. The wedding has not been canceled, but the cost of the two tickets is now 50% of what I paid. I can just cancel the tickets online, get a voucher and then if the wedding is still on use the voucher or cash to rebuy the same/similar flights at a lower cost? Will AA care that I cancel and then at a later time buy new tickets for the same destination/similar times and dates (at a lower cost)?

Thx!
Old May 27, 20, 11:08 am
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP), MPC Gold
I don't think so, but I would caution this just because the voucher may take some time to get to you and by that time the fare may have gone up.

I used a ticket number to purchase a flight last week that was only $45 but the ticket number had a $96 credit on it. The rep used the $96 ticket number and then told me I would get an email with a voucher number and PIN to use online, but its been over a week and I still haven't gotten it yet.
Old May 27, 20, 11:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM lifetime Platinum, Expedia +gold +++
Originally Posted by AEsco48 View Post
Hello. I skimmed several pages and did not find an answer, my searching skills did not lead to a result either.

I purchased a flight for my wife and I on March 16 for a July wedding. The wedding has not been canceled, but the cost of the two tickets is now 50% of what I paid. I can just cancel the tickets online, get a voucher and then if the wedding is still on use the voucher or cash to rebuy the same/similar flights at a lower cost? Will AA care that I cancel and then at a later time buy new tickets for the same destination/similar times and dates (at a lower cost)?

Thx!
Try to sign in and make the changes online. Or call and make the changes, they should issue you a voucher for the difference. Should bot be an issue.
Old May 27, 20, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Im not concerned about timing. I can even pay cash for the new tickets and then use the voucher at a later time (I fly enough to be Platinum). I just want to make sure I dont do anything that violates terms...
Old May 27, 20, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FAA1996 View Post
Try to sign in and make the changes online. Or call and make the changes, they should issue you a voucher for the difference. Should bot be an issue.
You are right, it let me change flights or select the same flights at a lower cost and just get a credit ($200 per person).
Im going to cancel the trip because if we do go to the wedding I will have to modify the dates i fly and my wide keep the dates.... No way the price will go up past what we already paid.
FAA1996 likes this.
Old May 27, 20, 11:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Marriott Titanium
Are there any other flights that day that would work for you? If so, (assuming you booked through AA) you could just change your flight online and get a voucher for the difference.
Old May 27, 20, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aacar View Post
Are there any other flights that day that would work for you? If so, (assuming you booked through AA) you could just change your flight online and get a voucher for the difference. If you want to keep the exact same itinerary, you'd have to call.
Our posts crossed each other... Online it let keep the same flights and get a credit. Thats really nice of AA!
FAA1996 likes this.
Old May 28, 20, 5:18 pm

Programs: NA
Southwest has been giving credit back to the CC and not just giving travel funds.
Old May 29, 20, 7:07 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AEsco48 View Post
No way the price will go up past what we already paid.
Be careful with this assumption. With capacity way down and demand starting to increase (albeit slowly), the algorithms that are used to set prices may cause the price to increase beyond what you're expecting. There's a decent chance it won't be much higher but not guaranteed.
Old Jun 2, 20, 1:35 am

Programs: United MileagePlus
I see a saying that they only request the fare difference if the fare increases, but will not refund the fare difference if the fare decreases..
Old Jun 2, 20, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Perfectly fine. The only issue is when they start charging change fees again. You'll be charge the change fee for doing this. Aa there's currently a waiver of change fees this isnt a concern. Just didnt want someone at a later point to see this thread and not understand normally the change fee makes doing this uneconomical.
Old Jun 2, 20, 7:21 am

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
Perfectly fine. The only issue is when they start charging change fees again. You'll be charge the change fee for doing this. Aa there's currently a waiver of change fees this isnt a concern. Just didnt want someone at a later point to see this thread and not understand normally the change fee makes doing this uneconomical.
This.

And to the OPs concern about doing something against the rules, there is no issue. I've called and done this many times where the fare randomly drops. Sometimes I've eaten the change fee (the fare dropped that much), sometimes it has been waived and sometimes it is within the 24 hour period and they reticket for free.
Old Jun 2, 20, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did something like that. Changed my return flight and got a credit voucher for the difference in airfare. No change fees charged,
Old Jun 2, 20, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Total Wine & More Select
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
I thought all fares booked now have change fee waivers baked into the fare rules.

So even if change fees return for new tickets booked after June 30th for example, tickets that were booked prior to June 30th would still be allowed a fee free change even if it was done after June 30th. Or not?
Old Jun 3, 20, 12:33 am

This used to be an official "thing" up until the mid-2000s with a lot of airlines, UA and US for sure -- if a nonrefundable fare dropped, you just called and they reissued the ticket and mailed you vouchers for the difference. At the time it was the full difference; later they would credit the difference minus $50 or the change fee, which as the change fees ramped up made it less and less likely to be useful.

Led to fun on one family Thanksgiving trip when the fare dropped the day before our outbound, and I called United for the credit. The agent the next day was somehow able to check us in on the old invalid tickets (remember how they used to frown and seemingly retype your life story even for a routine no-issue checkin?), and when we showed up for the return of the live tickets they said we hadn't flown the outbound and our return was canceled. Luckily we had some of the boarding pass stubs and they called their help desk to reinstate.

But to answer the question today -- I don't think there's any rule or ethical issue with canceling a ticket for whatever reason and then rebooking the same flights later. I just did that on UA to change an end-of-year round-trip to 2 one-ways. Now if you canceled and rebooked every day for a week just to extend the free cancel time, that might get some notice (perhaps they could cite rules against booking flights you don't intend to fly), but rebooking a planned flight to a lower fare wouldn't.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: