Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

You want us to come back.... BUT.....(lack of upgrade availability)

Old May 27, 20, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

So You PUBLICLY state that you want us back! But when looking to BOOK A round TRIP on Nov 2 and Nov 9, Miami - LAX... and you are NOT OFFERING a single opportunity to use a System Wide Cert.....for the entire route! ALL of you system Wide upgrade opportunities offer only 1 of the 2 legs!!!!!

It has been this way for the last couple of years.... in most cases making the use of the Cert unusable to use for an entire pair of flights. I would have thought the current situation (Covid and near bankruptcy for all airlines) would prompt a more aggressive approach towards AA's most valuable customers.

Is this how AA demonstrates it's opinion of "loyalty"?
Old May 27, 20, 8:50 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I have run into the same thing... the longest legs we were looking at.. nothing.. and sure I am not about to use a SWU upgrade just to go ATL to DFW..
2 sides on these.. AA wants to get as much cash as it can... so its going to sell as many seats has it can
and the other side is that passengers like us .. would like to go, and yes , use our upgrade instruments... which we cant...
I think we will be on the loosing side...
Old May 27, 20, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
I did not coach the OP in any way in writing that post.
Old May 27, 20, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AA Flyer View Post
So You PUBLICLY state that you want us back! But when looking to BOOK A round TRIP on Nov 2 and Nov 9, Miami - LAX... and you are NOT OFFERING a single opportunity to use a System Wide Cert.....for the entire route! ALL of you system Wide upgrade opportunities offer only 1 of the 2 legs!!!!!

It has been this way for the last couple of years.... in most cases making the use of the Cert unusable to use for an entire pair of flights. I would have thought the current situation (Covid and near bankruptcy for all airlines) would prompt a more aggressive approach towards AA's most valuable customers.

Are you an EF subscriber? Truly the best way to search and redeem C availability.
bchandler02 likes this.
Old May 27, 20, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
I have been an EF subscriber since it started. i have been EXP since it was concieved. i know my way around. thanks
LedgeT and fotographer like this.
Old May 27, 20, 9:25 am
Suspended

Programs: DL GM, AAdvantage EXECPLAT, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
This prob wonít help you but at least on the premium transcons the Y-J upgrades are much more
plentiful than before, but youíre also more likely to clear them via the comp channels instead of SWU too.
Old May 27, 20, 9:50 am

I would have thought the current situation (Covid and near bankruptcy for all airlines) would prompt a more aggressive approach towards AA's most valuable customers.
Yep you caught them targeting their most valuable customers, ones that want to BUY the seats.

WFBF otherwise itís the waitlist.
Old May 27, 20, 11:44 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 1MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I'm far from being an AApologist, but in this case I'm willing to cut AA some slack. Rev Mgmt has no idea what load factors will be in early Nov.
SJOGuy, writerguyfl and 757FO like this.
Old May 27, 20, 1:10 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I've been looking to use SWUs for the first time this year. I had them pinned down for a DFW-HND leg on a 77W which I was excited about, but then that went to a 787 (mehh), reason for the trip got cancelled, etc. I collected my certs back and got refunds

Anyways, all I have to say is I feel yeah. AA is so stingy with the upgrade space that you have to have total flexibility to hope to use them and then you still have trouble finding anything worthwhile. When air travel was hot it was easier to give AA some grace on this, but with a global slowdown of air travel (especially international) now should be the time we are given a little grace in return.
Spiff likes this.
Old May 27, 20, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How is someone with no AA status booking a miles + copay upgrade being "loyal"?

So one of the problems, you see, is that AA doesn't have a way to have a different availability code for SWU upgrades (which are only available to those with high enough status) versus miles + copay upgrades (which are available to everyone with miles). They use the C bucket for both.

Given that they had trouble finding room for new buckets for their new Premium Economy cabins, I don't see how they can solve this anytime soon. If they don't want a route to be available for miles + copay upgrades, they have no way to make it available only for SWU upgrades AFAIK.
Old May 27, 20, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
How is someone with no AA status booking a miles + copay upgrade being "loyal"?

So one of the problems, you see, is that AA doesn't have a way to have a different availability code for SWU upgrades (which are only available to those with high enough status) versus miles + copay upgrades (which are available to everyone with miles). They use the C bucket for both.

Given that they had trouble finding room for new buckets for their new Premium Economy cabins, I don't see how they can solve this anytime soon. If they don't want a route to be available for miles + copay upgrades, they have no way to make it available only for SWU upgrades AFAIK.
Same problem with UA. UA only differentiates fare buckets for upgrades from GS members (similar to CKs), and even then it has a series of two-letter fare codes to do so. Ideally you'd have one bucket for CK/GS, one bucket for EXP/1K, and one for the rest.
Old May 27, 20, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
How is someone with no AA status booking a miles + copay upgrade being "loyal"
OP has been an EXP since 1855.
fotographer likes this.
Old May 27, 20, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
OP has been an EXP since 1855.
In that case, OP should be honored as a legendary prophet, since they forecast in 1855 what was only created in the 1980s (the concept of frequent flier miles).

But my point was not that the OP wasn't loyal, but that there was a problem with thinking that SWU availability was limited to EXPs, and basing a "loyalty" test of AA on that faulty assumption. Since SWU availability (C) is the same as miles + copay availability, SWU availability isn't limited to EXPs, even if SWUs themselves are.
wrldwide1 likes this.
Old May 27, 20, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
MIA-LAX is domestic F uncomfortable seats on all or all but one daily no? I only use my SWU on intercons, and I have to say lately, even pre-COVID, I saw a lot more availability to LHR/CDG. JFK-CDG-JFK is the route I use SWU on most, and with some flexibility it's been very doable. When we get back to normal-ish, I am still determined to pull off the single SWU HKG-LAX-DFW-GRU/EZE run. You can usually find 1-ways for ~$7-800, just need the C at time of booking.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old May 27, 20, 5:52 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
You can usually find flights to LHR with C space.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: